!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Price rises  (Read 847 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Kato Price rises
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:53:31 pm »
 :ouch:
Just had an email from TrainTrax - the price of Kato stuff is going up due to the against Yen changes.
He says his prices will have to rise on Kato Japan items by 20% from Monday 3rd October.

Judging by prices I just studied for track and sets on Gaugemaster, the U.K. Importer, their prices have already jumped by that amount (and in some cases by more) so if you want Kato track or sets, NOW is the time to grab a bargain from other retailers who may have stocks at pre-rise levels.

I did, and saved a bundle against new GM listed items.

Hustle and haggle soon ladies and gentlemen, as I'm sure other retailers will follow suit as their stocks need to be replenished, or if they have their eye on the main chance.

Now, I wonder if I need to stock up on a few crates of Saki this week? :hmmm: :D

Mike

Moderator Comment Political references removed, please see Code of Conduct
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:58:37 pm by Sprintex »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
Re: Kato Price rises
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:01:50 am »
At least we have a week to buy at the old prices from TrainTrax. I will have to bring forward some of my planned purchases. There's always online auctions (flea something). I have bought a few small items that way, but it is risky for bigger priced items.

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:45:38 am »
Of the track sets I bought this week - all 'V' prefixed - the greatest price rise was on the V3, and also the V6. All the others had a 20% or so hike.

Looking on the TrainTrax site I found some of what I wanted but he himself admits his stock is limited in his notification email.

A trawl of the Internet led me to TopSlotsAndTrains and during a telephone call yesterday I was told prices are currently being held for now and stocks of what I wanted were good. Buying from TS&T was therefore a no brainier for me and the saving against the latest prices on GM was VERY significant. I will leave you to check your own prices across the retailers, but I was well pleased with my choice.

I have seen lower basic prices from foreign sites, but always feel that it is too high a risk to follow these leads. For one thing the parcel will get a lot more handling, and p&p, which is often not clearly laid out, can make the advertised prices unrealistic.

Happy shopping, wherever you choose to drop your wad. :beers:

Mike.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:46 pm »
  :censored:

A sad update :(

My order from TOpSlotsnTrains has arrived and I thought, maybe I could get a few more bits and bobs, but low and behold I find their prices are up already - not as far as GM but up all the same.

And I note that the Glacier Express loco sets (not however the 3-car Starter Set) and additional carriage sets seem to be conspicuous by their absence or 'out of stock' notices with most web seller sites in the UK and those few I have checked in Germany. Thankfully mine is on back order and has been promised at the pre-price increase agreed price.

I do hope those who saw my first post on this thread were lucky enough to get in "under the wire" as I did.

Ah well, c'est la vie!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:17:28 pm by daffy, Reason: Better written after reading first \'draft\' »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 06:32:40 pm »
On the positive side, for those of us in Japan, British stuff has suddenly become much more affordable...
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:39:30 pm »
On the positive side, for those of us in Japan, British stuff has suddenly become much more affordable...

A good point! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:34:06 pm »

A good point! :thumbsup:

can we do a swap??
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 04:24:37 pm »
I've had clarification from Darren at TopSlotsnTrains and it seems he had to raise his Kato prices yesterday due to recent high demand clearing out his existing stocks. Probably my fault for pointing out the issue here!  :doh:
But he says his latest advertised prices are still discounted 15% from, I presume, whatever passes as RRP these days, with a higher pre-deducted discount of 20% for items over 50.

Of course, as they say in the media, "other retailers are available" and I suppose things will settle down to a level playing field once more all too soon, so we shall all have to keep cross-checking prices and searching for the bargains.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything