!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 07:13:45 pm »
Today's progress:

I did take some construction photos of the fish van and can post if anyone is interested.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
Having soldered the buffers and coupling hooks onto the last two wagons, I had a moment of insanity today. It suddenly occurred to me that all the vans are vacuum braked types and, since the etch provided coupling hooks, I really should add some vacuum brake pipes as well. To complicate things further, the pipe has two bends in it so that it ends up more or less central on the body at the point where the flexible hose attaches.

Out with some thin wound guitar wire and I removed about 10 mm of winding before setting about bending everything to shape. Final trimming to size, a tiny amount of solder paste and a lot of flux and I managed to attach these to the bodies of two vans without unsoldering anything else!

Two down seven to go!

Edit: I also added the grab rails onto the doors of the vans.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:02:48 pm by Atso »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 02:30:30 pm »
Well I'm now waiting to see if my soaking the two original vans with badly glued roofs in paint stripper will result in the araldite bond weakening enough to separate the parts and have a second go. However, I have managed to successfully get the roofs onto the other four vans (one was even soldered but a lot of faffing about to achieve that!).

Below is a picture of the progress on other the four vans. The three fruit vans each have a different chassis to create a little variety and represent three incarnations of this design over the years. The chassis are various Peco products representing wooden and steel solebars and 9' and 10' wheelbases.

As you can see in the picture, the middle fruit van needs a bit of fettling to get it to sit properly on it's chassis.

Once I've managed to get the original two vans to the state pictured above, I'll make a start on the third of my GNR brake vans.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:31:31 pm by Atso »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 06:47:14 pm »
A bit of progress with the vans. Roofs are attached to all the vans with the exception of the brake van. This is because I needed to get into the veranda areas using a rattle can of etch primer from Halfords - I couldn't see any way of doing this with the roof on. Not in picture is the second brake van which is still in it's raw brass state.

But wait! There's and interloper in the rake!

An old GNR Clerestory fruit van has made an appearance! This is something I designed over a year ago but kept having problems printing it on my B9Creator. I finally figured out why I was having problems an after a quick redesign it was successfully printed today. Other than remove the printer supports and give it a squire of Halfords red plastic primer, I've not done any cleaning up to the print (although it could do with a bit of smoothing on the roof). The chassis is a Peco 10' wooden solebar version which is a scale two inches too long in the wheelbase (c. 0.35mm) but I think it looks ok.

With a bit of luck the vans will be moving through the paint shop in the next week or so.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:15:14 pm by Atso »

Offline Ben Line 457

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:49 pm »
Really enjoying this thread, I  never thought I'd see the Fish van modelled in 'N' and then you find the BH kits.

But the GN clerestory fruit van is superb, I've always had a soft spot for these after seeing one in Peter Tatlow's book but never thought I'd see one in 3d in whatever scale. Excellent work.

Are you likely to release this for sale at some point?

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 09:13:26 pm »
Some cracking variations atso! !!! Could you not 3d print some end panels with vertical planking to replace existing ones??

Just a quick question relating to your fixed rakes, what set up do you use for this?? Thinking of forming a few fixed rake mineral trains using peco kits and quite fancy close coupled almost without big couplings

Thanks Craig

Steamie+

Re: Peco van modifications
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 06:48:25 am »
Current progress with the vans.

The short ventilated van (3rd from right) still needs to get it's roof vents, the refrigerator van it's hand grabs and ladder and the covered van (far left) needs its solebars painting. The hat van is temporarily sitting on a Peco 15ft chassis (totally wrong but it's the right length - we'll see how long temporarily ends up being!).

As these are all fitted vans red oxide is the order of the day with the exception of the refrigerator van which will remain white (but will get a repaint). Decals should be fun as I'm looking to print my own. The refrigerator van should be reasonably simple as the lettering is black but the others will all have white lettering with the hat van having it's authorised areas painted on the side...

I've got another six of these kits and I'm researching more variations, although I really need to make at least a couple more refrigerator vans.

Great job and skill on these vans, wish i had the those skills, they look brilliant.      :thumbsup: :thumbs:

If you donít mind me asking what length of rake will it be and what is going to pull it.     :) :)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 09:11:42 am »
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Really enjoying this thread, I  never thought I'd see the Fish van modelled in 'N' and then you find the BH kits.

But the GN clerestory fruit van is superb, I've always had a soft spot for these after seeing one in Peter Tatlow's book but never thought I'd see one in 3d in whatever scale. Excellent work.

It's a shame that Ray is out of the fish vans at the moment, otherwise I'd have had a few more over the fruit vans.

I'm quite happy with the GN clerestory van too! It needs a few tweaks still to fit peco wagon chassis properly and to make painting a little easier but I think that I might have a go a resin casting a batch at a later date.

Some cracking variations atso! !!! Could you not 3d print some end panels with vertical planking to replace existing ones??

Just a quick question relating to your fixed rakes, what set up do you use for this?? Thinking of forming a few fixed rake mineral trains using peco kits and quite fancy close coupled almost without big couplings

Thanks Craig

I could 3D print some end panels but the idea with the peco vans (and BHE etches) was to have a go with so methods I wouldn't usually employ. That being said, I have some of the old Parkwood LNER van kits which came with a range of ends (to create several variants) so I might have a go at splicing some of those in.

At the moment the wagons are without couplings. However for the fixed rakes, I'm think of using a simple hook and eye arrangement made out of wire and araldited onto the bottom of the chassis. This was covered in the N'spirations magazines by (I think) Noel Leaver and from the pictures in the article, looks pretty unobtrusive.

Great job and skill on these vans, wish i had the those skills, they look brilliant.      :thumbsup: :thumbs:

If you donít mind me asking what length of rake will it be and what is going to pull it.     :) :)

I didn't know I had the skills until I had a go! To be honest the Peco vans will be (to borrow a phrase from Tony Wright of BRM/RMWeb fame) 'layout wagons' and will be filler pieces on my 1930's ECML layout. I'm modelling a relatively small station borrowing ideas/features from Hertford East, Palmers Green (both on the Hertford Loop and not actually part of the ECML) and Hitchin. Therefore many of the fitted trains would be through workings and, as I'll have the ability to run c. 30 trains, quite a few wagons and coaches will be required. My maximum length would be 9 Gresley coaches or c. 27-30 wagons (which would be too long for the station and it's limited goods facilities) - the exception being a special loop to hold a representation of the New England - London coal train which will be 40+ wagons (still only half the actual length of the prototype).

With regard to motive power, it could be almost anything I own or am building. J3, J6, J11, J39, J50, J52, K2, K3, N2, V2 are classes either owned/built or in the process of being designed/built and would represent typical classes working goods trains (my J50 would be ruled out of pulling fitted train as my model is an unfitted example). The J50 and J39 weren't common classes to the London area in the 1930s but were seen. I've got a Farish J39 (which won't be converted into a J6) because I quite like it and two Union Mills versions which will eventually end up being detailed and provided with representations of the small style of LNER tenders that was more common to the class.

At the moment, I've very light on unfitted wagons (i.e. non-vacuumed braked) and general open wagons, both of which were still very common in the period I'm modelling; this will need to be addressed in time. It isn't always appreciated that the LNER was pretty much always short of cash and therefore pre-grouping designs often lasted much longer than was the case on the other railways. For example it is estimated that in the late 1930s only c.30% of the LNER's passenger stock in service had actually been build post the 1923 grouping - this is what I'd like to represent in my own modelling, the cutting edge (for the 30s) running alongside the ancient!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:20:46 am by Atso »

Steamie+

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 07:46:43 am »
Thank you all for your kind comments.

It's a shame that Ray is out of the fish vans at the moment, otherwise I'd have had a few more over the fruit vans.

I'm quite happy with the GN clerestory van too! It needs a few tweaks still to fit peco wagon chassis properly and to make painting a little easier but I think that I might have a go a resin casting a batch at a later date.

Thanks Craig

I could 3D print some end panels but the idea with the peco vans (and BHE etches) was to have a go with so methods I wouldn't usually employ. That being said, I have some of the old Parkwood LNER van kits which came with a range of ends (to create several variants) so I might have a go at splicing some of those in.

At the moment the wagons are without couplings. However for the fixed rakes, I'm think of using a simple hook and eye arrangement made out of wire and araldited onto the bottom of the chassis. This was covered in the N'spirations magazines by (I think) Noel Leaver and from the pictures in the article, looks pretty unobtrusive.

I didn't know I had the skills until I had a go! To be honest the Peco vans will be (to borrow a phrase from Tony Wright of BRM/RMWeb fame) 'layout wagons' and will be filler pieces on my 1930's ECML layout. I'm modelling a relatively small station borrowing ideas/features from Hertford East, Palmers Green (both on the Hertford Loop and not actually part of the ECML) and Hitchin. Therefore many of the fitted trains would be through workings and, as I'll have the ability to run c. 30 trains, quite a few wagons and coaches will be required. My maximum length would be 9 Gresley coaches or c. 27-30 wagons (which would be too long for the station and it's limited goods facilities) - the exception being a special loop to hold a representation of the New England - London coal train which will be 40+ wagons (still only half the actual length of the prototype).

With regard to motive power, it could be almost anything I own or am building. J3, J6, J11, J39, J50, J52, K2, K3, N2, V2 are classes either owned/built or in the process of being designed/built and would represent typical classes working goods trains (my J50 would be ruled out of pulling fitted train as my model is an unfitted example). The J50 and J39 weren't common classes to the London area in the 1930s but were seen. I've got a Farish J39 (which won't be converted into a J6) because I quite like it and two Union Mills versions which will eventually end up being detailed and provided with representations of the small style of LNER tenders that was more common to the class.

At the moment, I've very light on unfitted wagons (i.e. non-vacuumed braked) and general open wagons, both of which were still very common in the period I'm modelling; this will need to be addressed in time. It isn't always appreciated that the LNER was pretty much always short of cash and therefore pre-grouping designs often lasted much longer than was the case on the other railways. For example it is estimated that in the late 1930s only c.30% of the LNER's passenger stock in service had actually been build post the 1923 grouping - this is what I'd like to represent in my own modelling, the cutting edge (for the 30s) running alongside the ancient!

:thankyousign: Your knowledge is brilliant.     :thumbsup:

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 08:24:51 am »
All gone a bit quiet again here so in an effort to get some modelling done I've been playing with the old Farish bogie sulphate wagon.

I stripped the wagon back down into it's component parts and then filed the top of the bogie pivot down to the same height as the bogie stretcher.

Sorry about the poor quality photo but hopefully you can see the difference this makes in the height of the wagon (left) against an unaltered one (right) and how much better the model seems with a minimal gap between the bogies and solebar. The wagon is now almost 2mm lower and will still go around a 9 3/4 inch curve to boot!

I've also changed the wheels for modern Farish ones - I've got some correct 3 hole wheels somewhere but they've eluded me so far today!

That is a big improvement - any chance of some photos of the work done underneath?  I wouldn't mind having a go myself on this one.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2017, 04:41:19 pm »
That is a big improvement - any chance of some photos of the work done underneath?  I wouldn't mind having a go myself on this one.

Paddy

IIRC it was simply a case of filling down the top of the bogie so that it was flush with the cross bracing. The two converted wagons are temporarily in 'storage' ;) but I will post pictures of the modification when I find them...

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:36 am »
IIRC it was simply a case of filling down the top of the bogie so that it was flush with the cross bracing. The two converted wagons are temporarily in 'storage' ;) but I will post pictures of the modification when I find them...

Did these wagons make it into BR days do you know?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 11:41:58 am »
Did these wagons make it into BR days do you know?

I don't know about the NER bogie van but the sulphate wagons survived at least into the 1960s. However most of the fleet were apparently used to transport London rubbish out of Enfield from around 1961/2.

Edit: Forgot to mention that mine need a repaint as they are actually in a form of BR livery!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:44:32 am by Atso »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 01:09:22 pm »
I don't know about the NER bogie van but the sulphate wagons survived at least into the 1960s. However most of the fleet were apparently used to transport London rubbish out of Enfield from around 1961/2.

Edit: Forgot to mention that mine need a repaint as they are actually in a form of BR livery!

How did the buffer heights compared to other stock compare after the modification?

cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 01:41:29 pm »
Good point Alan.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0