!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Marty

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Peco van modifications
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »
that looks very nice. Two questions. how long did it take you? and... wgere are the NEM coupler pockets?  :(

Marty

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:12 pm »
that looks very nice. Two questions. how long did it take you? and... wgere are the NEM coupler pockets?  :(

Marty

Hi Marty and many thanks.

The chassis took about two and a half hours to build. To be fair most of this was continually referring to the instructions and understanding the construction methods. I think that the next one should be about an hour - especially as I plan to 'cheat' but designing and printing my own axle box covers rather than relying on the laminated etch method provided in the kit - these were the single most difficult part of the build, everything else was fairly easy.

No NEM pockets on a 2mm finescale kit! This doesn't concern me too much as I plan to use some of these as semi fixed rakes.

The chassis is currently running on finescale wheels which are somewhat sensitive to n gauge track. The 2mm association thoughtfully supplies appropriate axles to convert Farish wagon wheels to run with these kits as the chassis is designed to accept a 12mm long axle while Farish's and Dapol's are around 15mm in length.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »
Hi all,

Well my theory regarding producing white decals didn't work out so I'm now thinking how I can achieve the custom transfers I require cheaply.

In other news, my membership to the 2mm Scale Association has been accepted and I've received my first order from their shop today:

Cattle vans is the main theme here and I've got three to build, one ex GER (the plastic mouldings but awaiting a suitable chassis to complete), one ex GNR and one early LNER (the etches). I've also got a couple of 9'6 wheelbase chassis to build which hopefully will fit my 3D printed GNR clerestory vent I designed last year. I've also splashed out on some nice buffers that have been cast in brass, some adaptor axles (to fit the etched chassis) that'll accept Farish wheels and some etched 'w' irons that'll be used for a couple of other projects.

I'm looking forward to further improving my soldering skills (or lack of!) and would be happy to post construction photos of my progress if these would be on interest to people.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
Re: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 07:46:19 pm »
Ok, started this about 3:30 and got carried away...

Roof isn't attached yet...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
Hi all,

On with the chassis. I actually to some pictures (badly!) this time...

Taking the chassis etch, the first job was to cut out the main chassis part, open up the bearing holes slightly and solder in the bearings. I used solder paste and soldered from the front face to ensure I didn't get any solder inside the bearing surface.

Then I folded the 'w' irons and brake gear hangers before testing it with wheels (Farish on the 2mm conversion axle) to make sure everything was free running and level before testing with the body and making adjustments to fit as required.

Next up were the sole bars. These need to be folded up from the three layers pictured below to get the correct chassis width.

Unfortunately, things weren't quite that simple with this kit. The sole bars supplied with the chassis are unsuitable for the cattle van due to the van's length. Substitute sole bars are supplied with the body kit for this purpose and were added as the topmost layer instead.

Next I cut out the brake etch from the fret. This is a clever bit of design as it is also a simple fold up piece that sits in etched slots in the main chassis. Once in place solder paste was applied to the handy access holes in the etch and soldered solid.

After this, I threaded some 0.25mm wire through the brake hangers and soldered up.

At this point I stopped as I need to do a bit of thinking about the brake handles. These don't line up with the replacement sole bar overlays so I can't attach them until a solution is found. I do have some etched springs and axleboxes but might have a go at 3D printing these rather than laminating very small etches...

Today's progress has resulted in this:

Apologies for the horrible photos (my phone camera) and I hope that the above makes sense to somebody other than me!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:55 am »
Somewhat better picture of progress to date...

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »
I've mostly built the GER cattle wagon today. Not going to go into this one as it's just a plastic kit mounted on an etched chassis similar to the one above.

However, I've been playing with some of the 2mm Association's etched 'W' irons and came up with this this evening.

Show next to a standard Peco brake for comparison. The 'W' irons are held in place with bluetack, hence why they're wonky. A bit of a long term project this one...

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 09:22:21 pm »
Current progress with the vans.

The short ventilated van (3rd from right) still needs to get it's roof vents, the refrigerator van it's hand grabs and ladder and the covered van (far left) needs its solebars painting. The hat van is temporarily sitting on a Peco 15ft chassis (totally wrong but it's the right length - we'll see how long temporarily ends up being!).

As these are all fitted vans red oxide is the order of the day with the exception of the refrigerator van which will remain white (but will get a repaint). Decals should be fun as I'm looking to print my own. The refrigerator van should be reasonably simple as the lettering is black but the others will all have white lettering with the hat van having it's authorised areas painted on the side...

I've got another six of these kits and I'm researching more variations, although I really need to make at least a couple more refrigerator vans.

Looking good, its even got me thinking

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 09:54:02 am »
Show next to a standard Peco brake for comparison. The 'W' irons are held in place with bluetack, hence why they're wonky. A bit of a long term project this one...

How interesting - any thoughts on how it will traverse tight curves (or will it live in 2mm world, where all the curves are above average radius?)

Mike

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 11:47:59 am »
How interesting - any thoughts on how it will traverse tight curves (or will it live in 2mm world, where all the curves are above average radius?)

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm definitely staying as an N gauge modeller for the time being so it'll need to be able to traverse just under a 10 inch radius! The current plan is to use 2mm adaptor axles with bearings on the outer 'W' irons and simply ream out the bearing holes on the inner ones and use standard Farish wagon wheels and axles. I hope that there will be sufficient side play to allow it to get around curves. If this fails my fallback position will be to place the inner wheels in a drill and file off the flanges.

Fingers crossed that one of these ideas works!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
All gone a bit quiet again here so in an effort to get some modelling done I've been playing with the old Farish bogie sulphate wagon.

I stripped the wagon back down into it's component parts and then filed the top of the bogie pivot down to the same height as the bogie stretcher.

Sorry about the poor quality photo but hopefully you can see the difference this makes in the height of the wagon (left) against an unaltered one (right) and how much better the model seems with a minimal gap between the bogies and solebar. The wagon is now almost 2mm lower and will still go around a 9 3/4 inch curve to boot!

I've also changed the wheels for modern Farish ones - I've got some correct 3 hole wheels somewhere but they've eluded me so far today!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 08:05:34 pm »
Nice job, Steve. The difference is remarkable :thumbsup:
I can guess what a bogie pivot is but what's a bogie stretcher, please? Somehow I don't think it involves nasal gardening :no: :dunce:

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 02:25:38 pm »
Nice job, Steve. The difference is remarkable :thumbsup:
I can guess what a bogie pivot is but what's a bogie stretcher, please? Somehow I don't think it involves nasal gardening :no: :dunce:

:laughabovepost:

Thanks newportnobby!

The bogie stretcher is the piece that runs between the two outer side frames and connects to the pivot hole, nothing to do with the green stuff at all I'm afraid!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:26 pm »
Hi all,

Following a somewhat down and out Christmas, I felt like I'd lost my modelling mojo again. However, I picked myself up and went to the Stevenage show last Sunday. While there, I came across the BH Enterprises stand and found several etched brass kits. These are all re-releases of kits originally produced in 1991 and included to my joy, a GCR fish van and a GNR brake van!

Anyway, I've finally managed to do some modelling for the first time in six or seven weeks yesterday by soldering up the for kits. Three of them are pictured below (the four, another GNR brake van, is drying having received a squirt of primer).

From left to right: GCR fish van, GNR brake van, LNER/NER perishables van.

I'm looking forward to getting some more of these!  :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 09:45:10 am »
Ray at BHE was kind enough to let me pop over last night and buy some more of his wagon kits. I'm now the owner of another brake van, fish van and three fruit vans. I did also get another perishables van but the etch isn't great (badly etched with most of the detail lost) so hopefully Ray will let me swap it for a better example.

I'm toying with the idea of making the latest GNR brake van as a six wheel version (it's too short for the 8 wheeler!). This wouldn't be strictly accurate as all the photographs I've seen of the six wheel brake van had horizontal planking (the kit represents a van with vertical planking) but it's be close enough - and better than anything I could scratch build. This will mean however that I cannot use a Peco chassis as the kit was intended. Luckily I've got several of the 2mm Association's 'W' iron kits (as per a previous post) so these will be used along with a bit of scratch building.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything