!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Was Peco van modifications now Various van kits and scratchbuilds
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:24:22 pm »
Hi all,

After months of not being able to doing anything modelling related, I got to sit down today and have a look at the Peco refrigerator van. I discovered that it is fairly close to the GNR and later LNER versions but the end details aren't right and it's missing several features.

So a bit of a play and I've come up with this:

I've carved off the original end and roof details, scribed the planking back in, added end posts, footstep and ice filler hatches on top. I've also removed the Peco coupling pockets as I intend for this wagon to be part of a fix rake. I've still got to add on hand grabs, end ladders and vac pipes but I'm quite happy with how this has turned out so far.

Interestingly, this van could also be adapted to a variety of other GNR and early LNER types. If I can figure out a good way to change the side doors, I could create a good representation of the late 1920's versions of the 'LNER standard van'. I know that Farish now produces a similar vehicle but it's actually of a design from the 1940's (and rather expensive!). I've got a few more of these Peco kits on the way and will post as and when work allows!

3D printing will also resume once I've got some more resin for the printer!  :'(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:46:42 pm by Atso »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Peco van modifications
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:41:19 am »
Looks good Steve.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:53:29 am »
Thanks Tank,

I've got some etched ladders, several more of these kits and a few 9ft wheelbase chassis to do some more variations on this theme.

I was brave last night and cut out 1.25mm (one plank) out of each end of another van before sticking the remaining bits back together. This now brings the body close to a scale 16ft and fits a Peco 9ft wagon chassis perfectly. The van is to become one of the earlier GNR ventilated vans. No pictures yet as: (a) I'm suppose to be working! and (b) it's covered in filler at the moment and not very  photogenic...  :D

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »
Hi all,

Work is finished and I've had a chance to rub down and spray some primer on the shortened van:

The van on the left is now around 2.5-3mm shorter than the refrigeration van on the right. I've got to rescribe the planking where I've cut and shut the body as well as carefully take off the centre hinges and straps (it seems only GNR/LNER refrigeration and bannan vans had three hinges per door). The shorter van also differs slightly on the ends as it requires four posts per end compared to the refrigerator van's two. Also I've got to fit four torpedo ventilators to the short van, this will give it a bit of a different look. Hopefully the difference between the 9ft and 10ft wheelbases is apparently in the picture as well.

Much to do but I'm having fun!  :D

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:02:20 pm »
Very nice job, it will be nice to see the finished job. I have a couple of NGS van kits to build yet when I find time, not sure what to build them has yet I need to do some research on what was used where my railway is based,ie ex L&Y/LMS.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:32:39 pm »
Very nice job, it will be nice to see the finished job. I have a couple of NGS van kits to build yet when I find time, not sure what to build them has yet I need to do some research on what was used where my railway is based,ie ex L&Y/LMS.

Thanks Chris, I can't wait to see them finished either!

For my own approximations of actual wagon types I'm using Tatlow's LNER Wagons as a reference. I'm sure that there is a similar reference book for L&Y stock. I've seen the NGS van kits and was wondering about getting a couple as a source of parts... Parkwood used to produce a similar kit for some LNER vans but I've not seen them available for a long time.

Back to PECO kit hacking, I've discovered that the GNR built two 26ft long hat vans for traffic between Luton and Kings Cross. If I sacrifice two of the refrigerator vans....  :hmmm:

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:59 pm »
Sounds good Atso, I will get round to it eventually probably when I have finished the scenics.
Lil Chris

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:05:03 pm »
Ok, playing a bit more with the Peco refrigerator vans...

I decided to cut up two of the vans and splice them together to create a representation of the hat van. I've still got the roof to do as well as the door and end modifications.

Here is progress to date placed on the reference material...

...and a shot of inside showing the reinforcements supporting the body around the cuts.

The chassis will have to be scratchbuilt. I've found the 2mm association sells etched 'W' irons, springs, axle boxes and shorter axles that would be suitable for this vehicle.

As you can see, still plenty to do on this one along with a bit I'm not looking forward to. The hat van has vertical planking on the ends while the Peco van has horizontal. Do I fill the existing planking and try to scribe the vertical ones or do I ignore this feature?

Some more resin as arrived for the 3D printer so printing will resume once a slight modification to the printer have been completed.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 05:04:44 pm »
You know what will happen if you ignore the planking. You will know it is wrong even if the rivet counters do not spot it, and you will kick yourself for not doing it right.
Lil Chris

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »
You know what will happen if you ignore the planking. You will know it is wrong even if the rivet counters do not spot it, and you will kick yourself for not doing it right.

Thanks for the input Chris - however, I think I'm going to leave it simply because I don't think I can do a good job rescribing the planking (better wrong than a bad job I think). As the van has had the most work put into it, I don't want to ruin it now. Besides this one will live in the middle of a fixed rake of wagons so no-one will be able to see the ends!  ;) If I find at a later date I can do this on another wagon, I can always go back.

Middle hinges have been taken off the doors now and the two roofs have been cut, joined and filled. Still need a bit more work getting to roof join seemless but it is almost there. I'll take a picture of the four wagons as they currently are a bit later.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »
Current progress with the vans.

The short ventilated van (3rd from right) still needs to get it's roof vents, the refrigerator van it's hand grabs and ladder and the covered van (far left) needs its solebars painting. The hat van is temporarily sitting on a Peco 15ft chassis (totally wrong but it's the right length - we'll see how long temporarily ends up being!).

As these are all fitted vans red oxide is the order of the day with the exception of the refrigerator van which will remain white (but will get a repaint). Decals should be fun as I'm looking to print my own. The refrigerator van should be reasonably simple as the lettering is black but the others will all have white lettering with the hat van having it's authorised areas painted on the side...

I've got another six of these kits and I'm researching more variations, although I really need to make at least a couple more refrigerator vans.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 08:30:17 pm »
Nice work.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 08:39:04 am »
Thanks Jerry. I've got some bits a pieces arriving in the next few days and then I can experiment with trying to produce white transfers... Fingers crossed!

Offline Marty

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 12:39:07 am »
I like the hat van. Quite different. Keep it coming.

Marty

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:44:22 pm »
I like the hat van. Quite different. Keep it coming.

Marty

Thanks Marty!

A few years ago, I purchased a 2mm scale association starter pack. Inside was a length of track and a wagon kit. As the wagon's chassis was an etched kit, this got looked at and filed under very nice but too complicated. However, having been soldering up some old Ultima etched Gresley sides the other day got me thinking that I might give the etched chassis a try.

I'm not usually one to wield a soldering iron at all so I'm quite impressed with how this has turned out (as I am with the etched Gresley sides). It's got a few construction wobbles and I lost one axle box, but I'm encouraged enough to have a go at some complete 2mm kits - especially as they do kits for a GNR, GER and early LNER cattle vans! (A proper Toad E brake van is tempting as well!).

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here