!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 57683 times)

Black Sheep and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1245 on: July 29, 2017, 09:15:47 pm »
Hi Laurence,

I've been meaning to ask about the PDF links as am a complete computer numpty.

You seem like a nice and kind man who won't judge me too much so thought a good time to ask as want to do timetables soon.

What do I do after I've clicked on it? It comes up with save this, save that etc.

Thank you in advance,

Weave  :dunce:

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1246 on: July 29, 2017, 09:23:22 pm »
Laurence

A tour de force!

I've seen a fair few WTT (Working Timetables) in my day but this one is super.

Well done and happy operating.

All the very best.

John

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1247 on: July 29, 2017, 09:24:31 pm »
Hi Weave

First you need to create a PDF.  You can do this from Word, Excel or other MS Office files by selecting 'Save As'.  I think other programs will allow you to do this as well.  Once you have created your PDF file (you will need the PDF reader to look at it, but the download is free), when you reply to a post, under 'Attachments and other Options' you will see 'Attach'.  Click 'Browse' and select the file you created.  That should do the trick.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1248 on: July 30, 2017, 06:37:53 am »
Back Story Continued…
It would appear that the Time Lords have been dabbling again.  Either that or there had been a deliberate campaign of misinformation.  The actual date of the special train was to have been Wednesday 29th July 1959.  Owing to an incorrect calculation of the space-time co-ordinates, if the first theory is to be believed, this was wrongly transported to Wednesday 2nd August 1961.  In any event, nothing happened on the 29th and the town quickly lost interest in the affair.  Obviously, the gossips had got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1249 on: July 30, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »
First thing today I began by fixing the problem with Point 10.  There are two Digikeijs decoders for the UP loops and which were originally fed from the power bus.  However, there was a problem with losses at the joints from board to board that meant there was insufficient power for reliable point operation.  So I ran a direct link to one of the Digikeijs (Number 1).  They were connected together at the end of the power bus, so the other should have been OK.  Indeed, for several months everything has seemed to work OK, although I do recall one or two incidents of Point 10 not operating.  This time, it would not work whatever I did.  When I checked, I found that one of the connections from Digikeijs Number 1 to the power bus was connected to nothing.  So it was just a question of resoldering it to the power bus tag and Hey Presto!  It all works fine now.  Phew!  After that, I completed sub-cycle 3b.

After our walk along the river (sorry, estuary), where we picked yet more blackberries, we had coffee and then it was a long session picking peas, beans, fruit, etc.  Eventually, I managed to get into the train shed during a thunderstorm.  We had two or three, although they were by no means full blooded ones.  There was one fifteen minute period when we had 2mm of rain but, otherwise, it was not too bad.  I finished of the first cycle and took a couple of pictures during sub-cycle 4b.

Here you see 9744 at Platform 2 with the four-coach local passenger and 6417 at Platform 4 with the branch passenger.  92006 is passing through the station via the Platform 3 track.  This one was taken from the other end of the station.

I did manage to get a tiny bit further forward with the next shop front, but I didn’t reach the stage where I can actually fit it to the row of shops.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1250 on: July 31, 2017, 06:36:35 am »
Back Story Continued…
On Monday morning, Sergeant Jeffrey began to plan his clandestine visit to Marton Hinmarche station.  He had been warned that it was imperative that no-one should know anything about the operation, particularly the date and time.  He was so concerned about this that he decided to consult Doctor How.  The time lord was able to come up with a plan to transport Sergeant Jeffrey to the station without anyone else knowing….
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1251 on: July 31, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »
I didn’t have a lot of time in the Train Shed first thing this morning.  But I did get some glazing done.  After table tennis it was back to the garden again (apart from slicing the runner beans I picked yesterday).  Eventually I did get back in the Train Shed (it was a good job, because soon afterward we had a sharp shower!).  I finished the next pair of shop fronts.

After a cup of tea, I laid some more sunk in paving stones in the lawn (sorry, grass).  Then I set about the next pair of shops, which I managed to finish.  I put the mangled pair on the end, just to increase the row.

I can’t do any more fronts now until I have constructed the last carcass and added it to the row.  But I am still working on the operational timetable and I hope to have the next cycle ready for running tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #1252 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:39 pm »
I have to be honest, the wibbly ones look completely fine. I lived in Frome in Somerset, and worked in a model shop on a steep cobbled street  called Catherine Hill, and plenty of the houses and shop fronts were way more wibbly than your two!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1253 on: August 01, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »
Shops are looking the part now, well done on the construction

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1254 on: August 01, 2017, 04:14:06 pm »
Back Story Continued…
On Tuesday, Lady Tiverton received a phone call from Lady Penelope via the scrambler.  The precaution of the scrambler was taken to avoid prying ears.  It was considered that the publicity surrounding the impending trip would lead to a certain amount of scandal and so the trip has been planned for a day when there was least likelihood of unwanted intrusion.  Of course, there would be an official photographer to record the occasion, but advance notice to unwanted representatives of the ‘Gutter Press’ was to be avoided at all costs.  Meanwhile, late in the afternoon, a luxury coach slipped quietly out of Pullmans’ yard, ostensibly to give a demonstration run for a holiday company that might want to charter coach holidays.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1255 on: August 01, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
This morning, first thing, I managed to construct the carcass for the final pair of shops.

After we arrived back home and had eaten, I started sinking paving slabs, but had not got very far before a thunderstorm brewed up and so, reluctantly (if you believe that, you’ll believe anything), I had to retreat into the Train Shed.  Last night, I finished work on the second section of the operational timetable and so I was able to print it out this morning.  I took it down to the Train Shed this afternoon, but before I started running trains I concentrated on completing the next pair of shops.

Then it was on with running trains.  I managed to run the whole of Section 2 (Subsections 5 to 8 ).  Here you see 6417 with the branch passenger stopped at Platform 4 and 9744 waiting at Platform 3 with the short local passenger.  While they were there, Rebuilt Scot 46122, ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ thundered through Platform 2 with a DOWN express.

During the trial run through Section 2, I came across three errors.  The first was where I had indicated Loco 4, 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’, instead of Loco 9, 45572 ‘Eire’.  I didn’t realise until I saw that the intermediate passenger was not coming from the DOWN loops to swap tracks with 80119, hauling the long local passenger train.  By the time I had worked out what was wrong, 6837 had caused a short circuit at a trailing set of points.  There was actually smoke coming up from the track (presumable gunge on the front drivers being burned off).  I stopped everything and backtracked.  At this stage, I realised that 6837 had already run in Subsection 5a.  So I checked the feasibility chart and found that I should have run 45572.  After that, it was plain sailing until Subsection 7c, where I had not indicated the point settings for the exit from the Milk depot to the UP main.  However, I knew what they should be, so it was not a problem for the trial run.  The final one was, like the first, a wrongly indicated loco.  This time I had entered Loco 8, 5041 ‘Tiverton Castle’ instead of Loco 3, 3846 with the heavy goods.  This time it was clear before I started running the subsection so it was quite easy to make the required corrections. 

The upshot of all this is that I will have to make some amendments to the second section of the operating timetable before I finalise it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1256 on: August 01, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »
Sounds too complicated for me Laurence, I just run mine round. Maybe one day I will get round to some sort of timetable I will know where to ask.....for advice.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #1257 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:32 pm »
Sounds too complicated for me Laurence, I just run mine round. Maybe one day I will get round to some sort of timetable I will know where to ask.....for advice.

I agree.

I too have had a go at a running schedule but keep getting distracted. I would like to push ahead with it though, to give the layout some meaning.

Lots of progress now Laurence, it all looking great  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Offline Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #1258 on: August 01, 2017, 10:47:38 pm »
I'm really enjoying watching this develop, excellent modelling I like the idea of automatic control of the trains.

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1259 on: August 02, 2017, 06:41:25 am »
I'm really enjoying watching this develop, excellent modelling I like the idea of automatic control of the trains.
So do I!  Ideally, I would like to run everything from a laptop, but I would need a different controller from the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance that I have at the moment.  It also has a very BIG disadvantage in that the rotary control can be fooled if the knob is rotated too fast, when the wrong speed signal can be sent to the loco, with chaotic results.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here