!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71413 times)

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1230 on: July 27, 2017, 05:55:05 am »
Referring back to your wondering if to fix the platforms pre or post ballasting, may I suggest post if you suspect that the Ballast Magic may unintentionally glue the platforms in place.

Should you want to lift the platforms later to do more work, e.g., add lighting or other detail, you could cause some damage. Perhaps fit a temporary former to ensure the ballast doesn't spread beyond where the platform wall will sit?

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1231 on: July 27, 2017, 06:39:08 am »
Thanks for the advice Dave.  I still haven't made up my mind about the platforms yet.  I've ordered a Metcalfe platform kit to appraise, but I might even finish up scratch building the platforms.  Or, I could just stick with the Ratio ones.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1232 on: July 27, 2017, 07:49:06 am »
Back Story Continued…
At Stowcester Police Station, Sergeant Jeffrey had received an instruction to look out for characters of ill-repute coming from Cornwall on either the holiday special from Cornwall or the specially halted ‘Dragon Beach Express’.  No explicit information was given, but there was the suggestion that there might be fugitives fleeing the Cornish Constabulary.  The sergeant was expected to use his initiative to identify any likely suspects.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:10:58 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1233 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:36 am »
Thanks for the advice Dave.  I still haven't made up my mind about the platforms yet.  I've ordered a Metcalfe platform kit to appraise, but I might even finish up scratch building the platforms.  Or, I could just stick with the Ratio ones.
I use the Peco platform edging and use plasticard (or in some cases cardboard) for the plarform surfaces. That doesn't require a lot of ingenuity or skill to build but does give flexibility re platform length and width.
If you have a curved platform in any places just substitute the peco edging for card strips.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1234 on: July 27, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »
First thing this morning I noticed that I had omitted to add the roof lights to the second building.  So, while the two freight locos, 92006 hauling the express perishables freight and 3846 with the heavy long-distance freight, performed a tail chase, I added the glazing.  I had to run 92006 at a greatly reduced speed to avoid catching up with 3846.  Although 3846 tail chases at a greatly increased speed, it is still much slower than 92006.  The reason that 3846 runs at an increased speed is that, normally, I have to run it around at a speed setting of 10 (out of 28) and then increase its speed to maximum once it has disappeared into the tunnel before reducing it to zero, otherwise it would not make it into its storage loop.  I don’t know why, but it’s the only loco to require this procedure.

Today was our day out and we went to Potteric Carr, the Headquarters of the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.  It is a very extensive site and the day would have been even better, but for the rain which set in about half way round.  Whilst walking round I decided on a strategy for ballasting in the station.  I have a one metre long steel rule and I will remove all the platforms before using the rule to ensure that all the tracks are perfectly straight within the station.  Then I will use either cardboard of plastic to make a perfectly straight limit for the ballast, allowing enough space for the platforms to be refitted.  I suspect that the Ratio kits will not be sufficiently straight.  But I can then decide how best to construct the platforms.

Later, back in the Train Shed, I carried on with the next pair of shops.  But before I got there, my Metcalfe parcel had been delivered, including the platform kit.  I have checked it and I think it will be fine for the two mainline platforms.  If I do decide to use it, I will need another kit for the other platforms.  While working on the shops, I ran 45572, ‘Eire’ in a tail chase with the 2-6-4T, 80119.  I was foolish enough to think that 80119 might run OK in the forward direction after the long period of running in.  But I was wrong.  In fact, worse still, it now would not run in bunker first either, until I reduced the acceleration time to zero.  After the tail chase, I returned 80119 to its proper starting loop (Loop5) and ran it solo.  I was now able to return the acceleration back to normal and everything was fine.

While construction continued, I ran 6837, ‘Forthampton Grange’ which seems to get better with each outing.  When I had added the third carcass to the line of shops, I took a picture with 6837 in the background.

Finally, after a cup of tea, I ran 5041, ‘Tiverton Castle’ in a tail chase with 46122, ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’.  During this time, I started cutting out the parts for the next pair of shops.  Here’s a short video of the two express passenger trains.  First you see 46122 passing in front of the camera with its twelve coach train, while 5041 is seen in the distance.  As the end of the Scott-hauled train passes you get a brief view of Tiverton Castle before it disappears off to the left, followed by its eleven coaches.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1235 on: July 27, 2017, 08:25:13 pm »
Only four trains in each direction call at Perran Sands Halt each day all locals and with the platform being very short, all trains are formed of only one or, occasionally two, usually elderly carriages. Usually only one or two passengers board or alight.
This evening the 6.35 from Port Perran to Wadebridge arriving, as usual, right on time.
Rather unusually, however, some 6 or 7 passengers awaited the train including the youthful Constable Tommy Williams just two weeks into hiis first police job based at Port Perran police station.
Tommy is off duty and planning to travel to Trepol Bay to visit his girlfriend.
Being keen to impress his superiors and make a name for himself, Tommy was ever alert. Looking around he thought he recognised the two rather nattily dressed but suspicious looking  men standing away from the other passengers.
Sure that he recognised the two, young Tommy steeped back to try to catch a snippet of the pair's whispered conversation.
The approaching train made it difficult to hear but Tommy was certain he had seen pictures of this pair in one of the files back at the police station.
All he could hear was "catch this one........seats apart......change Wadebridge.....Exeter........Stay at the Inn......morning train.......Waterloo.......couple of days.......weekend........travel North.....midweek......tell no one"
At that point the M7 let off steam as the villainous looking pair boarded the train.
Tommy boarded at the other end of the carriage, certain that something was afoot. He determined to tell Sarge Dickinson first thing in the morning but he would be in early to see if he could identify the mysterious pair ifrom their on-file pictures.

Young Tom is in the leather coat and can be seen trying to listen in to the conversation of the two chaps standing in the gateway.
What is going on?.............
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:29:49 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1236 on: July 27, 2017, 08:32:30 pm »
Many thanks for this, Laurence.

I do like to see your 'proper length' trains running.

Although for my own model railway purposes, I have stopped the clock at Hogmanay 1938, I have to freely admit that the 1949-1956 BR crimson and cream livery on your rolling stock looks really good.

Glad your 'Nine' is a such good runner.  That's very prototypical; the full-size ones could certainly shift if they managed to get themselves on to a passenger working.  Such a shame they are, at present, not allowed to run on Network Rail metals.

All the very best.

John

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1237 on: July 27, 2017, 08:36:27 pm »
The two characters seen departing from Cornwall could surface again sometime.  But who knows...
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1238 on: July 27, 2017, 08:45:09 pm »
Although for my own model railway purposes, I have stopped the clock at Hogmanay 1938, I have to freely admit that the 1949-1956 BR crimson and cream livery on your rolling stock looks really good.
Although by the end of the 50s, the premier trains on the western region were mostly running in chocolate and cream and those on the west coast main line were run in LMS maroon, the good old rhubarb and custard continued for sometime after that.  I remember several journeys from Birmingham to Darlington in 1963 behind rebuilt Scots with crimson and cream stock.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1239 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:43 pm »
Although by the end of the 50s, the premier trains on the western region were mostly running in chocolate and cream and those on the west coast main line were run in LMS maroon, the good old rhubarb and custard continued for sometime after that.  I remember several journeys from Birmingham to Darlington in 1963 behind rebuilt Scots with crimson and cream stock.
One of the joys of the 60s was the mixture of passenger stock on the same train.
It Made for some colourful, if not very clean, combinations.
My Layouts -

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1240 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:25 am »
Back Story Continued…
With one day to go, there is surprisingly little new from the town gossips.  Not a word has emerged from Beresford Hall and there is no news from the Railway Inn.  Betty has not been in touch with her sister because it is not time for the weekly telephone call and so the whole town has been left in the dark.  To some extent, interest has waned in this apparent non-event.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:10:24 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1241 on: July 28, 2017, 05:55:14 pm »
I’ve decided that I’ll not do any more tail chases.  I am nearing the time when the first section of my operating timetable will ready to print out.  When that happens, I will run the timetable and try to get things settled and running in an orderly manner.  So, first thing this morning, I concentrated on the next carcass.  I now have four fixed together (although I managed for forget the roof lights again), so the builders are having a break and the shop fitters have moved in.  The shopfitters should be able to fit the roof lights, which is not too far removed from what they do already.

This morning the weather was quite good so I managed to finish off the hedge that I had topped some time ago.  Then I gave the espaliers some TLC, which had been missing for a week or so because of the weather.  After that I harvested the first few potatoes from the roots that had been worst affected by blight.  Not that it was too bad because I spray against blight and also remove any affected stems.

This afternoon, I began to sink the slabs into the grass (I don’t call it a lawn because all I do to it is mow it).  I had carefully positioned them yesterday and I made some readjustments today, but sinking began before the rain came on.  Then it was back to the Train Shed and on with the shop fitting.  First, I back fitted the roof lights and then pressed on with the doors and windows.  I have found a slightly different order of fitting the doors and side panels, which I think is easier than that shown in the instructions.  Here’s the result of the first pair of shops.

After that it was cup of tea time and then another picture with the shops against the backscene, as they will be when finally installed permanently.

I have removed the island platform, which was the only one causing a real problem.  I have checked the rail alignment with my straightedge and, although not dead straight, I think it’s good enough.  The main problem is the Ratio island platform.  As soon as I have finished the row of shops, I will set about ballasting the station with a mask following the platform edge.  If, as I think I probably will, I use the Metcalfe platform for the island platform, I will need to build it up a little.  Fortunately, I have sufficient self-adhesive cork underlay that I can use under each wall, which should raise it to the correct height.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1242 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:36 pm »
Back Story Continued
On the day in question there was a rekindling of interest in the mysterious events foretold by the town gossips.  By 10:15, there was a small crowd gathering outside Marton Hinmarche station.  But there was no sign of the Pullman’s luxury coach.  At 10:30 the DOWN ‘Dragon Beach Express’ thundered through the station at its usual high velocity, without any hint of a reduction in speed to allow any passengers to alight.  Everyone was disappointed and, after mulling around for a while, they all drifted off to go about their respective business.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:08:52 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1243 on: July 29, 2017, 08:02:00 pm »
To keep me out of mischief, I’ve take to listening to ‘Steam Sounds in England’.  Unfortunately, the very old music centre in the train shed, keeps jumping, which spoils the effect to a certain extent.  However, the CD is excellent and I can listen to it on my computer perfectly while typing up my progress.  I must get another CD player for the Train Shed!

First thing I made a little more progress on the next shop front.  I have decided that what I will do for the station ballasting is to turn the existing platforms upside down and use them to delineate the extent of the ballast.  Then I will be able to either right them or substitute other platforms.  However, I need to pluck up courage to ballast the points at the station approaches.  I think I will leave a gap in the ballasting where the switch blades move and, even if I fill that later, I will definitely avoid ballasting around the tie rods.

The weather was good today so, after our usual Saturday walk into town, I completed all the remaining hedges.  In the afternoon, I cleared up all the hedge trimmings (well, most of them anyway) and then managed to glean a little time in the train shed.  Yesterday, I finished the first complete operational timetable cycle.  So I printed it out and I spent this afternoon running real timetables.  I reached sub-cycle 3b where the heavy goods hauled by 3846 runs DOWN, the short local passenger under the charge of 9744 runs UP and the branch passenger (6417) runs DOWN.  In the previous sub-cycles, the milk train hauled by 45206, had halted at the milk platform and the local goods, under the charge of J39 64960, had come to rest at the good depot.  In this picture you can see the heavy goods passing through Platform 2 while the local passenger is at rest at Platform 3 and the branch passenger waits at Platform 4, while the local goods can be seen in the goods depot and the mild train at the milk depot.

There were one of two hiccups, where locos had to be encouraged to start but, on the whole, everything went very well until the start of sub-cycle 3b, when Point 10 refused to change.  There seemed to be a lack of power and I think I have identified a wire adrift.  It has never been a problem during the tail chases, but I need to address it before continuing.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1244 on: July 29, 2017, 09:06:31 pm »
I have attached a PDF of the first cycle of the operational timetable that I am running, for your information, amusement or delectation, whichever you prefer.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here