!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71413 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1215 on: July 24, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »
Today started with a tail chase involving 7821 ‘Dicheat Manor’ hauling the parcels train and 9744 hauling the four-coach local passenger.  There was a problem with 9744, which derailed a couple of times on the frog of the trailing point exiting Loop 6.  After a few circuits, I stabled Dicheat Manor back in Loop 6 and began to run 9744 through its proper loop, Loop 7.  The same problem arose once, but it doesn’t happen on any other trailing points.  Could it be a back to back problem?

The rest of the morning was taken up with table tennis.  In the afternoon, I continued with the ballasting.

Then it was on with the shops.  Here, things seemed to be going well until I came to take a picture of the finished article.  It was then I realised that the front windows were at an angle to the rest of the building.  I investigated and found that the floor had been located wrongly at one end.  Because I wanted to create a terrace of shops, I decided to cut away one end of the front windows, remove the floor and refit everything.  But the cure was worse that the illness.  The result was a rather mangled shop front, which still leaned at an angle. 

Fortunately, I have bought two kits and there are three pairs of shops in each kit, so I may be able to manage with the remaining five pairs.  In the final analysis, because the kits have been discontinued, I may be able to salvage the botched kit as a renovation project (in the model).

I will have to wait a little for the additional ballast because I have ordered four packs and they only have three in stock, but they tell me new stock should be delivered in a couple of days.  If I do run out, I will be able to concentrate on the card kits.  And, of course, I still need to get the air brush out and think about painting the brickwork on the Ratio platforms.  I have also ordered one Metcalfe platform to see how that compares.  In addition, there is the option of scratch building platforms.  One thing I am unhappy about with the Ratio platforms is that, no matter how carefully I try to align them, it is difficult to get the edge of a long platform, made up of many kits, perfectly straight and aligned uniformly with the track.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1216 on: July 24, 2017, 08:19:17 pm »
Hopefully you can make do and mend with these two shops. It probably looks worse in the photo than to the naked eye. When in position could you add a strategically located street tree to take the eye awY from the shop fronts?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1217 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:05 pm »
Hopefully you can make do and mend with these two shops. It probably looks worse in the photo than to the naked eye. When in position could you add a strategically located street tree to take the eye away from the shop fronts?
I'm sure I can come up with something.  Thanks for the suggestion.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1218 on: July 24, 2017, 10:39:57 pm »
I pondered on how to make my long-ish platforms to take 5 and 6 coach trains.

A 20"x30" (or metric equiv) piece of mounting card was purchased and with the walls based on templates from the Metcalfe platform kits, they haven't come out too bad. Printed brickwork was from the excellent website http://paperbrick.co.uk/

Not a particularly clear photo but it may give you an alternative idea to the Ratio kits, Laurence.

I'm sure the folks here will be able to suggest their methods of platform building too.

Dave G

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1219 on: July 25, 2017, 07:11:45 am »
Suitable site for a gas explosion or maybe a ram raid? (Meat can be very pricey)  :D

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1220 on: July 25, 2017, 07:58:52 am »
Back Story Continued…
Yesterday, the UP ‘Dragon Beach Express’, hauled by ‘Tiverton Castle’ made an unscheduled stop at Marton Hinmarche.  Shortly before it arrived, Baron Tiverton’s Phantom V delivered the BR Western Region Operations Manager to the station car park.  Conveniently, he was able to board the train before it departed to London.  Shortly after it had left, the Station Master announced that the DOWN ‘Dragon Beach Express’ would make a specially scheduled stop on Saturday (29th July) to deliver a pre-booked party.  A special bus would be on hand to pick up the visitors.  So far, he had no other information regarding the visitors.  Normally, the ‘Dragon Beach Express’ does not stop at Marton Hinmarche: the platforms are not long enough to accommodate the whole train.  Here’s a picture of Tiverton Castle as it slows to a stop at Platform 3.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:11:59 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1221 on: July 25, 2017, 09:30:10 am »
Thanks for the updates Laurence, sure you will work out something suitable for the shop fronts

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #1222 on: July 25, 2017, 01:30:17 pm »
Yesterday, the UP ‘Dragon Beach Express’, hauled by ‘Tiverton Castle’ made an unscheduled stop at Marton Hinmarche.  Shortly before it arrived, Baron Tiverton’s Phantom V delivered the BR Western Region Operations Manager to the station car park.  Conveniently, he was able to board the train before it departed to London.  Shortly after it had left, the Station Master announced that the DOWN ‘Dragon Beach Express’ would make a specially scheduled stop on Saturday (29th July) to deliver a pre-booked party.  A special bus would be on hand to pick up the visitors.  So far, he had no other information regarding the visitors.  Normally, the ‘Dragon Beach Express’ does not stop at Marton Hinmarche: the platforms are not long enough to accommodate the whole train.  Here’s a picture of Tiverton Castle as it slows to a stop at Platform 3.

I love these little snippets of life in the Train Shed, but I wonder if Baron Tiverton would allow even the Region Operations Manager to be ferried in the Roller, surely the house Wolseley driven by a mere footman (certainly not the Coachman) would suffice for the middle classes?
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1223 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »
I love these little snippets of life in the Train Shed, but I wonder if Baron Tiverton would allow even the Region Operations Manager to be ferried in the Roller, surely the house Wolseley driven by a mere footman (certainly not the Coachman) would suffice for the middle classes?
The Baron is known for his egalitarian attitude and, of course, he was at public school with the Regional Operations Manager.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1224 on: July 25, 2017, 08:29:08 pm »
Today in the Train Shed began with more ballasting.  I have now completed both arms from the two sets of hidden loops right round to the approach to the points at the extremities of the station.  I now need to decide whether I need to permanently secure the platforms before ballasting, or whether I can remove and replace them after the ballasting. 

I then began work on cutting out all the parts for the next pair of shops.  This time I will be very careful to ensure that everything is square as I proceed.

Later in the afternoon, I managed to use the Dust Buster to clean up all the loose ballast and then I ran 45206, ex-LMS Stanier Class 5, with the milk train and J39, 64960, with the local goods in a tail chase to test the new ballast.

While that was going on, I set to work on the next set of shops.  This time I ensured that the strengthening cards were absolutely square.  I had to slice between one end of the lower strengthening card and the end wall and refit it because it was slightly out of true but, in the end, I managed to get it all aligned correctly.  Then I fitted the rest of the strengthening cards and reduced the ends of the roof to allow for the adjacent buildings.  When you read through the instructions right to the end, it explains that, to create a terrace of shops, it is best to build all the carcasses first and stick them together in a terrace before adding the shop fronts.  So I have just made the first carcass and will make the rest before adding the shop fronts. 

After I had added the cut-to-length roof, I realised that I had forgotten to add the glazing and curtains before assembly.  Fortunately, I was able to add the glazing retrospectively and I have also added the curtains of one shop, so the other curtains shouldn’t be too much trouble.  Here’s the progress so far.

I apologise for the shadow across the building, but I used flash to get a better colour, but instead of zooming from a distance, I shot from very close range and the shadow is of the camera lens assembly.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:19:49 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1225 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:58 pm »
Hi there, pleased to see your progress on ballasting plus your shops. Do you have any area of possible coal mining on your layout, you could possibly use the distorted shopfront buildings in a area of subsidence ?...lol
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1226 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:04 am »
Back Story Continued…
A little further along ‘Stoat Street’ from Stowcester lies the tourist town of Barton in the Vale, as opposed to Barton on the Hill, a village much closer to Marton Hinmarche.  There is a luxury coach travel firm in Barton, Pullman’s Coaches (not to be confused with Pullman Trains).  Their booking clerk, Betty, is the sister of the Post Office counter clerk, Judy Gibson.  They take it in turns to call each other on the telephone once a week.  This week, Betty told Judy that Pullman’s had received a special booking for a luxury coach to pick up a group of visitors from Marton Hinmarche station at 10:30 on Saturday morning.  Normally, there is no train at this time but, apparently, the ‘Dragon Beach Express’ will be making a special stop to allow these VIPs to disembark.  The coach will take them on to Beresford Hall and then return to the station to await the arrival of a holiday special from Cornwall.  It will then transport more visitors, together with their luggage, the short distance to the Railway Inn.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:11:32 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1227 on: July 26, 2017, 08:31:59 pm »
Good news arrived yesterday.  The ballast and Ballast Magic that I ordered has now been despatched, so I should receive it before current stocks run out.  First thing this morning, I managed to finish adding the curtains to the shell that I started yesterday and began cutting out the card for the next one.  Meantime, I ran 9744 with the four-coach local passenger train.  It still has a problem on Point 15 exiting Loop 7.  It is a trailing point and 9744 derails when its front drivers hit the frog.  I have carefully inspected the point, but I can see no reason for the derailment.  Fortunately, it only happens when 9744 is travelling at full speed and, under normal operations, it will always stop in Loop7 and only traverse the point at low speed.  However, it means that it is a problem when I am conducting a tail chase to aid running in.

It rained quite a bit this afternoon, which means that I got more time in the Train Shed than I had originally planned.  I spent some time trying to sort out the problem with 9744.  At first, I thought I had fathomed it when I found that the bar which runs outside the right-hand drivers (I don’t know what its name is, nor its purpose) had become detached at the front.  I managed to re-fix it with the aid of my Optivisor and some rapid PVA.  But that didn’t cure the problem.  Then I noticed that the front drivers were jumping the rails half way round the loop.  The derailment didn’t occur until they reach the first trailing point.  The culprit turned out to be a slight angle between two lengths of track at a join, resulting from the realignment I had carried out previously to allow the parcels train to sit alongside an intermediate passenger train.  It was just a matter of removing one track pin and reinserting it so that the alignment was OK.  That sorted the problem and 9744 now navigates Loop 7 at full speed really smoothly.

After that, I concentrated on the next shop shell.  While I was doing that, I ran 4915, “Cranmore Hall” in a tail chase with 61664 “Liverpool”.  Here’s a video of them passing through Marton Hinmarche station.  First, you see ‘Liverpool’ with a DOWN express followed by ‘Cranmore Hall’ with an UP express.

When I had completed the second shop building shell, I glued the two together, adjusting the roof of the second to fit together with the first one.

I’ve taken the liberty of photographing them with ‘Cranmore Hall’ in the background, waiting at Platform 3 whilst ‘Liverpool’ approaches Platform 4.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1228 on: July 26, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »
Thank you for this.  The film is excellent and shows one of the great advantages of 'N' Gauge - 'proper' length trains. 

Sorry to hear of the difficulties with your pannier tank - does it negotiate the point without difficulty when running in reverse?

I think the bar you mention is the brake pull rod.  Steam locomotives had cast brake blocks (jolly heavy as well!) which were applied to the tyre of the wheels - driving wheels normally but there were occasional efforts with bogie wheel brakes.  The rods (one on each side of the engine) pull the brake shoes onto the wheels.  The shoes are attached to pivoted brake hangers.  The brake pull rods are activated by steam, vacuum, air or a good old handbrake.  On 1:1 scale engines, when you want to wind on the handbrake, it easier to put the power brake on first!  It's all much simpler in 'N' Gauge!

All the very best.

John   
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1229 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:53 pm »
Thanks John

The 57XX is fine since I realigned the track joint.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here