!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 58839 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1200 on: July 22, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »
I have a perennial problem in the lofts of our bungalow.  I keep a hard hat at the top of the stairs and always don it before entering the lofts.  But I didn't expect to need it in the garden!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2017, 09:00:53 pm »
I hope your head will be OK, Laurence. Being nearly 2m (6 3) I frequently bang my head on door frames, etc.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
Sounds like you need another hard hat or to lower the ground level below the windows to give yourself clearance, Laurence. Hope your head heals very quickly.

Offline pape_timmo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1203 on: July 22, 2017, 09:51:29 pm »
Hi, it's taken a while, but I've just read the whole of this topic so far, and I must say, you're doing an amazing job Laurence. Hope your head heals quickly, and the loco running in gets easier.

Between you and Andrew at the PRPS, I'm being really inspired to get a shift on and build my layout.

Cheers, Timmo

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1204 on: July 23, 2017, 07:40:48 am »
Hope your head is less sore this morning.

I've always maintained that squirrels were a dangerous animal!

They also eat all of the walnuts off the tree before we get a chance to enjoy them AND they leave the shells in the grass to mess up the mower.

The 'tuning' of DCC locos sounds more than complicated so I'll stick with DC; that causes me more than enough grief.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1205 on: July 23, 2017, 08:13:06 am »
They also eat all of the walnuts off the tree before we get a chance to enjoy them AND they leave the shells in the grass to mess up the mower.
I can recommend a good squirrel trap if you like!
The 'tuning' of DCC locos sounds more than complicated so I'll stick with DC; that causes me more than enough grief.
It's not too difficult really.  I time them round the track and I have calculated the times for various speeds.  The DCC programming mode allows you to set the top speed and it's just a question of trial and error until you get the correct time for a circuit.  I write all the settings down in a book so that I can easily see what the last setting was before making any adjustments.  DCC does mean that all I have to do is hit 'Go' (with my controller, that means turning the speed up to 28) and the train will accelerate up to its top speed.  Then, when I turn the speed back to zero, the train will decelerate slowly to a stop.  I can set up the acceleration and deceleration so that the trains pull away realistically and stop in the right place.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1206 on: July 23, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »
Back Story Continued…
There is great excitement in Marton Hinmarche.  Apparently, the BR Western Region Operations Manager was seen being picked up from the station by Baron Tiverton’s driver in the Phantom V.  Rumour has it (totally unsubstantiated, I might add) that Baron Tiverton wants to arrange for a special train to stop at Marton Hinmarche.  The idle chatter in the Post Office is that the Baron has invited the Chelsea Girls to stay at Beresford Hall.  There is another rumour that the Railway Inn has received an enquiry for a block booking, but nothing is known about the intended visitors.  Sunday 30 July (1961) has been mentioned as a date for the diary.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:13:13 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1207 on: July 23, 2017, 05:40:12 pm »
Sounds very interesting indeed
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1208 on: July 23, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »
This morning began with a tail chase between 92006 and 3846.  I noticed that 92006 was travelling quite a lot too fast, which was probably due to the fact that when I originally programmed it, I forgot that, although it is a Dapol loco, it is fitted with a Bachmann decoder.  So I reprogrammed it correctly and achieved a satisfactory top speed.

After our morning walk along the river (it’s not actually a river, but what the French call a fleuve – the confluence of two major rivers flowing out into the sea), I had a lot of picking to do in the garden.  That coincided with the arrival of the first of a sequence of showers in a cycle of ever increasing frequency.  But I managed to pick tomatoes (from the greenhouse during the first shower), peas, runner beans, fine (climbing) beans, a few borlotti beans and a cabbage.  Later, back in the Train Shed, I finished the next run of ballasting.  Here’s a picture of the newly laid ballast before spraying.

And here’s a close-up of the branch ballast.

I thought I would include a couple of pictures of the ballast before wetting so that the difference could be seen between the previously laid ballast and the new ballast.

Much later, I tested the ballast with 4915 ‘Cranmore Hall’ and 61664 ‘Liverpool’.  I had intended to spend quite a time on the shops, but this turned into a tail chase and I needed to increase the speed slightly to get them up to 60mph.  But eventually I did manage to make a little progress with the shops.  At least the fronts have been finished and fixed to the main body of the building.

I will try to make greater progress tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1209 on: July 23, 2017, 09:27:20 pm »

I will try to make greater progress tomorrow.

No rush - in fact, please do not rush. Watching your pace of construction, along with all the other things you get up to, is a bit embarrasing to some!  :smiley-laughing: ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1210 on: July 24, 2017, 06:41:05 am »
You are so-o tidy, Laurence!

The Metcalfe low relief kits are really quite good.

Their mini kits are handy as 'fillers' of small empty spaces. I have a couple of the Nissen huts that match the steam and early diesel era(s) that I run. Mixed in with newer buildings they help make certain areas just a bit more scruffy and weathered!

Dave G

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1211 on: July 24, 2017, 08:48:52 am »
Hope your head is less sore this morning.

Dave G

Off topic, but very envious that you get a walnut crop (or at least your local squirrels do) - I planted one a few years ago, it is always a relief when it leafs in the spring!  Probably a bit too far north for it, don't know when I will see a crop off it though   :food:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1212 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:06 am »
Thanks for the updates Laurence, hope you head is healing up, my regular  :veryangry: moment is when I go in the polytunnel, the door frame is about 2 inches lower than my height and if I forget to duck.. I get a sharp whack to the head!

The ballasting is looking very good

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1213 on: July 24, 2017, 08:53:43 am »
Back Story Continued…
Apparently, the bar maid from the Railway Inn paid in a rather large cheque at the bank.  Judith, the bank teller, let this slip in the Post Office.  The cheque was signed on behalf of ‘CLPG/GWS(Bodmin)’.  No-one in Marton Hinmarche has any idea what this means (well, practically no-one, Baron Tiverton knows, but he’s not letting on).  It’s possible that more may emerge once the BR Western Region Operations Manager has departed, but who knows.  Well Dr Who does and so does Dr How.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:12:30 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #1214 on: July 24, 2017, 09:48:14 am »
Morning Laurence,

Great modelling with many problems that get solved, landscaping, market gardening it seems, shopping, table tennis, romantic walks, running web sites (and that's all I can remember) amid personal injury and now literary intrigue.

Makes me tired but great stuff Super Laurence!

Cheers weave  :beers: ( :beers: that's my downfall  :doh:)

PS. I can do shopping (hic)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:49:28 am by weave »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything