!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 72797 times)

Ian Bowden and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1185 on: July 18, 2017, 12:40:58 pm »
Handy suggestion that, particularly when curved flexi wants to straighten out again!

I have a big dollop of leather-clad lead (an old garden shed find) to keep track where is should be while the glue sets.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1186 on: July 18, 2017, 01:49:24 pm »
:hmmm:
Do you think the Copydex allowed the track to move slightly before it set? It may be better to lightly pin the track onto the Copydex and then remove the pins when the glue has set (just for future reference for others)
No the track hadn't moved.  It's just that I laid the tracks too close together because it was originally intended for a goods train, which was perfectly OK.  It was only with the advent of the parcels train that the overhang became a problem.  I always use copious amounts of pins to hold the track in place while the Copydex is setting.  If I'd thought about it at the time, I would have allowed more space to cope with all eventualities, but there we are, it's easy to be wise after the event.
  :doh:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1187 on: July 18, 2017, 08:11:22 pm »
Thanks for the updates Laurence, just been catching up, sorry to hear you were under the weather for a while (and you NPN) - the backscenes and ballasting are making a huge difference to the layout already - looking forward to you cracking on with that

I headed back to work a week ago, but before I left, I managed to harvest a bumper crop of blackcurrants, just from one bush!  My partner has picked the rest and has already crafted some jams and Cassis .  Kir Royales to look forward to at Christmas time  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1188 on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:37 pm »
My partner has picked the rest and has already crafted some jams and Cassis .  Kir Royales to look forward to at Christmas time  :beers:
Sounds like an excelent idea.  You could also try slur royal - sloe gin and champagne!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1189 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed the next run of ballast.  Later, after the Ballast Magic had cured, I brushed it and ran 9744 around for a couple of laps.  Then it was hedge cutting.  I have a very tall hedge, beach and box.  I have a 3M platform to reach over the top, but it takes a long time to get it round the back and assemble it.  I started yesterday on a slightly lower part with the platform at a reduced height (2M) but today I had to add the extension kit to reach its full height.  I have a long arm hedge trimmer, a pole saw and an extending pruner to cope with the various bits.  Thank goodness it’s only once a year.

Then it was back to the Train Shed and some tail chasing with Stanier Class 5 45206 and the milk train and J39 64960 with the local goods.  In parallel, I ran 6417 with the branch passenger.  The track needed a bit of cleaning along the stretch with the newly laid ballast, even though I had been along the insides of the track with a pointed blade ( I have some sharp points in my craft knife kit, which are ideal for removing bits of ballast from the inside of the rails).  Eventually, I was able to get a picture of all three together testing the newly ballasted sections.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1190 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:57 am »
Thanks for the update Laurence.

The backscene and ballasting look very good. Once you add the board scenics your layout will really come to life.

We have a 3M high Leylandii hedge that runs along the lane as well as mixed one that borders the ramblers footpath. Must confess we have a chap to come in to tidy both up during September. Takes him half a day!

Dave G

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1191 on: July 19, 2017, 07:19:26 am »
My partner has picked the rest and has already crafted some jams and Cassis .  Kir Royales to look forward to at Christmas time  :beers:
Sounds like an excelent idea.  You could also try slur royal - sloe gin and champagne!

Slur being the operative word

Had to get a tree surgeon in to tackle our leylandii - he took about 3m off it and it is sill about 4m!  The one I hate is our holly hedge

Thanks for the update Laurence - steady progress on the ballasting, I have some of the ballast magic, will give it a go when I resume mine

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1192 on: July 19, 2017, 08:14:25 pm »
Everyone will have their own favourite method of ballasting.  After a good deal of trial and error, I have found that the way that works best for me is as follows.  First, I mix the ballast in a small plastic mixing cup.  I use five rounded, but not heaped, teaspoons of ballast to slightly less than one level teaspoon of Ballast Magic.  I mix it round well, like you would dry sand and cement to make mortar.  Then I use the teaspoon to add the ballast mix to the track.  I turn the teaspoon with the side against the track (i.e. with the point pointing along the track) and tip it sideways very slightly, moving along the track with a slight rocking motion, so that the ballast tipples (if that’s the right word) gently between the rails.  I continue this until I have reach the chosen end point.  On double track, I repeat on the adjacent track.  I then use a Number 6 watercolour brush to brush the ballast along between the rails, so that the excess spills over the rails.  I try to get a nice even amount of sleeper surface showing through the ballast.  Sometimes this produces enough ballast between the two tracks, but sometimes I have to tipple a little more in places.  At this stage, I use my finger tip to compress the ballast between the rails and the between the tracks. 

This leaves the shoulders, which again could already have enough spillage but, if not, I tipple some more along the side of the track.  I then use either a flat edge or my finger tip to form the ballast into a shoulder.  I use a Number 3 watercolour brush to lightly dust along each rail.  This removes most of the ballast grains sticking to the rails and reduces the level of shoulder ballast so that the tops of the sleepers show through.  Finally, I run a sharp point along the groove on the inside of each rail to remove any remaining grains of ballast.  I can then spray with a water mist to wet the Ballast Magic and leave it to cure for a couple of hours.  Before running a train over the newly laid ballast, I use the course watercolour brush to sweep away any loose grains that might be left on the track.

First thing this morning, I set about the next run of ballasting.  I have now reached the right-hand station board.

When we returned home at mid-day, there was a package waiting for me.  It turned out to be the Dust Buster. 

Although the instructions say that it should be charged for four hours before first use, I decided to test it by hoovering up the loose bits of ballast.  It worked well and I then put it on charge. 

I have realised that, before ballasting the station, I will need to paint the brick facias of the platforms adjacent to the tracks.  That will be an excuse to get out my air brush.  I would like the platforms finished and fixed in place before I start the ballasting.  However, before that happens, I need to ensure that the platforms are positioned correctly to allow all trains to pass through unimpeded.  Because the clearances are tight, I worked today on positioning.  The main issue is that the UP end of the island platform needs to allow 6417 to exit in the UP direction without the cab steps being fouled by the platform ramp.  At the same time, the main line side needs to allow all locos to pass unimpeded.  The biggest problem on that side is the valve gear or 92006.  I had to lever the track through Platform 3 slightly away from the platform edge to ensure this.  I tested 92006 at low speed to ensure that it would pass freely.  Everything should now be OK.  Here’s the UP end of the island platform.

While testing 92006, I found two issues.  First, I had not set CV95, so it ran away at high speed when I tried to reverse it.  The second was that it seemed to forget its identity after an emergency stop and I had to reprogram it.  The first time it worked with ‘Program on Main’, but the second time I had to get out the Program Track and reprogram it there.  But, after that, everything was OK.

Finally, I set about opening a Metcalfe low relief shops packet.

I intend to work on the low relief models while I am continuing with the ballasting.  I know roughly how I am going to start profiling the contours of the scenery and the low relief models will sit on the contoured levels.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1193 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
Thursday is our away day; in other words, we go out for the day.  Today was no exception.  We went to Scarborough and had a rainy day at the seaside.  To be fair, it wasn’t too bad until we were having our meal in Pizza Express, when it started bucketing down.  It rained all the way home over the Wolds, which makes for tiring driving.  But I did get into the Train shed first thing, before we left.  I carried on with the ballasting and have reached the points at the approach to the Station.

Later, I cleaned up with the Dust Buster and ran 5041, Tiverton Castle, in a tail chase with 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman.  I took the opportunity to calibrate both to 60mph.  I had difficulty with the mid-point voltage on Tiverton Castle, but that’s not too much of an issue.

Then I made a little more progress with the low relief shops.  The main task was to decide which shops I would use and sort out the window displays for each.  I have two kits and each has six shops, so I will create twelve shops altogether.  These will sit on the other side of the market place, backed up against the backscene.  I have glazed the upstairs windows of the first one and I have started fitting the curtains.  I hope to release some pictures tomorrow.  I had a slight problem today because the camera battery was flat.  I charged it up a little to take the picture of the ballast, but it has been on charge since I came in for my tea.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1194 on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:51 pm »
The Gas Man Cometh

It was on a Friday morning that the gas man came to call…  Fortunately, it was only for the annual boiler service and no other services were affected, so there was no requirement for other tradesmen to visit.

Before that, I was able to get into the Train Shed and began with 6837 Forthampton Grange chasing its own tail.  After yesterday’s calibration exercise, I took this opportunity to calibrate 6837, because it had always run rather to slowly for an intermediate passenger train.  Its speed was well below 60mph.  I increased its Top Voltage from 100 to 120 and this seemed to do the trick.  But I had to reduced its deceleration time from 25 to 22 to ensure that it stopped in the right places.

Then I laid the first sections of ballasting from the UP loops.  After everything was dry and I had used the Dust Buster to clean up the debris, I replaced the tunnels.

This afternoon was spent cutting the grass, which had become rather long because of the slabs standing on it, preventing earlier mowing.  I moved the slabs yesterday, after we had returned home from out outing.  Then I restarted Forthampton Grange again and tested the mainline track.

After that, I concentrated on the low relief shops.  They are quite fiddly and will require quite a time to get them right.  This is how far I have got so far.

Actually, the progress is somewhat less than the photo indicates because the shop fronts are only stood in front of the carcass at the moment.  I have yet to glaze the shop windows and fit the window displays.  There is still quite a bit to do on the first one.  In all, I have six to make, so I will soldier on until they are all complete.  I may be gone some time…
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2017, 08:46:49 pm »
The Gas Man Cometh

It was on a Friday morning that the gas man came to call…  Fortunately, it was only for the annual boiler service and no other services were affected, so there was no requirement for other tradesmen to visit.

Could have been worse....................

A Russian went into the showrooms and ordered a new cooker. The sales assistant told him delivery would be in 6 months time. The guy asked the assistant "Will that be morning or afternoon?" A bit taken aback, the assistant asked "Does it make a difference?" and the bloke replied "Yes. The gas man is coming in the morning"

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1196 on: July 21, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
The ballasting is progressing nicely Laurence.
You have certainly had better weather than us if you were able to mow the grass. Just heavy rain and windy here until the sunshine finally arrived about 5.00ish this evening.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1197 on: July 21, 2017, 10:38:50 pm »
Ballasting looking good there Laurence, I have found the Ballast magic easy to use and less stressfull than normal methods. Have fun making the shops I have a few buildings to make up too.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1198 on: July 22, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
First thing this morning was a tail chase with 80119 and 45572 ‘Eire’.  Eire was running well below 60mph so I took the opportunity to recalibrate it, upping CV66 from 75 to 80.  Because the Bachmann chips have a built-in speed curve, the TOP Voltage (CV5) and Mid Voltage (CV6) are disabled.  So CV66 has to be used as a scaling factor for the built-in speed curve.  Likewise, I had to reduce the deceleration time from 25 to 22.  Then it was off into the town to the butchers and for a coffee.

I originally ordered three packets of ballast and one container of Ballast Magic.  I had started on the second packet of ballast before I had finished the first side and I am now on the second.  I think I have also used just over half of the Ballast Magic.  So, last night I ordered another four packets of ballast and two more of Ballast Magic.  I hope that should be enough to finish off the layout.

First thing this afternoon, I laid the next run of ballast.  Then I went out to lay some paving slabs.  That’s when a squirrel made a big hole in the top of my head.  Actually, that’s stretching the facts a bit.  The sequence of events was as follows:  Celia informed me that there was a squirrel in one of the traps, which was most unusual, because they usually appear around 7.00am.  I picked up the trap and took it round to the back of the Train Shed, which is where I deal with them.  Earlier, while working in the Train Shed, I opened the end windows to let the air circulate and prevent it from becoming too hot.  Now the windows are top hinged, which means that when I opened them the bottom of the window sticks out.  Because I was looking down to keep an eye on the squirrel in the cage, I walked straight into one of the windows, which made a large gash right in the middle of the top of my head.  The impact was sufficiently severe as to knock me to the ground.  The wound bled profusely and we had to get the first aid kit out to stem the flow.  The main agent was Dettol. 

When things returned to normal (or as nearly normal as could be expected) I carried on with laying slabs.  Later, after a cup of tea, I cleaned up the loose ballast and tested the newly laid section with 80119 and 45572.  Here they are about to pass on the new section.

Another picture taken at the same time from a different angle also includes 6417, testing the branch line ballasting.

Then I moved on to the shops again.  I didn’t make much progress there, but at least I have glazed the shop windows and fitted one widow display.

So, it’s just a case of soldiering on.  Before anyone makes the remark, I needed today’s little incident like a hole in the head.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1199 on: July 22, 2017, 07:43:01 pm »
I sympathise Laurence. My train room has a sloping roof with wooden beams. I frequently stand up too quickly banging my head. Lorraine, downstairs, always knows when it has happened by the profanities that accompany the incident.
After 7 years you'd have thought that I might have learned my lesson !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here