!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 45533 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1155 on: July 11, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »
Good point, Martin. I painted the whole top surface of the 'baseboard' for Cant Cove with acrylic matt brown paint (a cheap tin of local household type paint) to seal everything before doing anything else.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1156 on: July 11, 2017, 09:19:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice about ballasting.  I'm hoping that, because using ballast magic I can get everything right with a dry mix and then just spray on water, I should be able to fill all the gaps.  The gaps at board joins are a problem, but I'll try to fill them with bits of self-adhesive cork ballast.  It's 30 years since I last did any modelling and none of that was on this scale, so I'm a bit (no, very) rusty on these things.  Any advice is extremely welcome. 

One of the issues that I see coming up is how to replace the Farish couplings on the suburban coaches, which give spacing between the coaches that is for too long.  The corridor coach spacing is quite good, but the suburban ones are terrible.

Also, once I start on modelling the terrain, I will need to start using the air brush that I had for my birthday.  I haven't had it out of its box yet, other than to inspect it.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1157 on: July 11, 2017, 10:54:35 pm »
 :hellosign: Verrrry nice work Laurence, trhanks for the updates
       regards Derek.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1158 on: July 12, 2017, 01:55:15 am »
Laurence

Many find ballasting a tedious job and it can be. But, it greatly improves the appearance of track as you will have found out, and providing you're not in a hurry, can be quite therapeutic. Put on some nice music, pour yourself a glass of red and go for it.

For the baseboard joins, would just sticking some masking tape over the crack work? Then scatter, ballast, or road surface could be applied on top to hide it. Otherwise wood filler in the gaps?

The airbrush is one of those great tools like a chainsaw and an angle grinder that you will wonder how you ever managed to live without after having owned one. You'll have a good time with yours I'm sure.

Webbo

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1159 on: July 12, 2017, 06:10:46 am »
Happy to endorse Webbo's suggestion re covering the board joins with tape.

Easy, quick and it works!

Look forward to your next update.

Dave G

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1160 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:25 am »
It's possible to buy three lengths of standard N Gauge couplers: long (fitted as standard to most rolling stock models), medium, and short, Laurence. (I think Dapol sells them.) My B Sets had replacement inner couplings fitted and they look much better. Unless you have very gentle curves on your layout, it's probably best to use a medium-length paired with a short-length replacement coupling.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1161 on: July 12, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »
It's possible to buy three lengths of standard N Gauge couplers: long (fitted as standard to most rolling stock models), medium, and short, Laurence. (I think Dapol sells them.) My B Sets had replacement inner couplings fitted and they look much better. Unless you have very gentle curves on your layout, it's probably best to use a medium-length paired with a short-length replacement coupling.
The couplings I want to replace are the ones with springs.  Will the short couplings fit the pockets?
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1162 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:07 pm »
My apologies, Laurence. The couplings are made by Graham Farish (by Bachmann). I have a pack, 379-402 Short NEM Couplings (x20). If you have NEM coupling pockets (the latest stock does) you can, relatively, easily swop the couplings out, being careful not to lose the springs (so do it in an old shoe box or something similar) but, in the worst case, coupling springs can also be bought.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1163 on: July 12, 2017, 11:19:28 pm »
Hi there, looking good with the backscene, I used ballast magic on my track, I sprayed the track first though with Railmatch Sleeper grime. With regard to the couplings a box like Chris in Prague said is a good idea but a large see through plastic bag is better, you can see what you are doing.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1164 on: July 13, 2017, 10:23:55 am »
I’m not quite sure what happened to yesterday.  I got up as normal, showered and had breakfast, got the car out, checked the greenhouse and went into the Train Shed before setting off for the gym.  I do a mainly Pilates (for flexibility) with some strength exercises thrown in.  While I was doing the strength exercises, I noticed that my muscles were becoming extremely tired.  By the time I arrived home again, I was feeling cold and weak, with aches and shooting pains in muscles and joints.  :thumbsdown: I put on some warmer things, but my legs were also feeling cold, which is almost unknown for me so, for the first time in two months, I donned long trousers, socks and slippers.  I still felt cold.  We had a pasta at dinner time, which I forced down, having lost my appetite, and then I sat in the chair with a blanket over me.  I was supposed to go to the U3A table tennis club in the afternoon, but I stayed at home.  I watched the first two sets of Andy Murray and decided that I had Murray-itis so I lay on the bed with a couple of blankets over me.  We had a risotto for tea and then I went to bed with a 400mg dose of Ibuprofen.  I worked up a good sweat in the night and feel quite a lot better this morning, but we have cancelled our plans to go to Scarborough for a trip out and I will be staying firmly at home.  I may go down to the Train Shed later.

But I did get something done in the Train Shed before the lurgy struck.  I swapped 61664 ‘Liverpool’ with 80119 so that I can run 92006 later.  The reason is that, when 92006 to enters Loop 14, its smoke deflectors catch on the side of corridor coaches on Track 13 because of their length and overhang.  I have adjusted my running timetable to ensure that 80119 is always in Track 13 with its shorter suburban coaches, which is fine.  After that I ran 80119 in a tail chase with 45572 ‘Eire’.  Once again, a little track cleaning was called for.  It’s strange that locos have particular sections of track that they object to, while others have different section that they dislike.

While all that was going on, I cracked the board join problem.  The frames are all contiguous and so were the top boards when I first installed them.  But constant lifting and replacement has left 9mm deep gaps (the thickness of the boards) some of which are 2 or 3mm wide.  Covering the gaps away from the track is no problem: masking tape should do the trick.  But under the track, where the ballast will go, required a slightly different approach.  I cut some 9mm long pieces from the self-adhesive cork underlay and stuck them together to make the correct thickness to fill the gap and then slid them under the track using fine point tweezers.  So I am now ready to carry on ballasting.  I will try to report on any progress I make later.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:21:58 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1165 on: July 13, 2017, 10:47:09 am »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates Laurence, wishing you a speedy recovery
      regards Derek.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2017, 12:48:51 pm »
Take ir easy Laurence.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1167 on: July 13, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
:hellosign: Thanks for the updates Laurence, wishing you a speedy recovery
      regards Derek.

Seconded!

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1168 on: July 13, 2017, 04:50:42 pm »
Hope you're feeling a lot better tomorrow.

Glad you resolved the 'joint problem'.

Dave G

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #1169 on: July 13, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
I hope you've got over the bug. Trains are very good therapy.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: £6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm
Time Left: 13d 8h 55m