!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 58839 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1140 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:03 am »
When we arrived home the B&Q delivery had been left on the drive without any notice of delivery.  The driver had phoned our landline from his mobile to say that he was outside.  Obviously, because we were out, there was no reply.  But this afternoon, I had to move 60 paving slabs into the back garden so that I could get the car back into the garage.  After that, I managed a little fruit picking, but decided that my back had done enough work for one day.

Moving 60 slabs would have finnished me off never mind fruit picking I probably would not be able to move for at least 24 hours. ;) :sweat:

Good to see that you are progressing with the scenery. Where on the model are the paving slabs going? :-\

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1141 on: July 06, 2017, 10:03:32 am »
I managed a few minutes in the Train Shed this morning and finished off the tunnels, apart from the wall stone capping and adding the wing wall to the branch line tunnel entrance.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1142 on: July 07, 2017, 09:34:32 pm »
Yesterday, we went to the caravan that we have in Knaresborough.  It was quite near there that I had the samphire (see the Port Perran/Trepol Bay topic).  So there was no time in the Train Shed after the first shift, so to speak.  We only returned this afternoon, so there was little done today either.  But I did get Ditcheat Manor out with the parcels train, seen here waiting at Platform 2.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1143 on: July 08, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »
I forgot to mention yesterday that My Foamex sheets were delivered while we were away.  I havenít opened them yet, but I now have everything I need to get the scenery finished, apart from the two bridges that I forgot to order from Metcalfe.  I may think of some other items to order at the same time.

First thing, I ran Ditcheat Manor chasing its own tail for a few circuits.  Then it was off to the butchers and coffee.  After that, it was oiling the wooden garden furniture: 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% white spirit.  It paints on beautifully.  That left me an hour in the Train Shed before it was time to light the barbeque.  We still use a proper barbeque with lump charcoal, so it takes between half an hour and an hour to get it up to speed, so to speak.  In the Train Shed, I finished off the wall capping on the DOWN tunnel entrances and ran 9744 with the shorter of the two local passenger trains.  Here it is exiting the tunnels.

Then it was on to the backscene.  This is now my focus of attention and I took out the first of the Foamex boards and drilled it with 4mm holes to take the 3mm X 12mm screws that I am using.  I have now fixed the first piece in position and will continue to install them until I am ready to add the backscene.

So the backscene is my current goal, after which I will moved onto ballasting.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1144 on: July 09, 2017, 09:46:38 pm »
This morning was the turn of 45206 with the milk train and 64960 with the local goods.  Hereís a picture of them passing just outside the entrance to the DOWN loop tunnels, with 45206 about to enter the tunnel and 64960 having just emerged from the tunnel.

Hereís another picture of them passing just outside the entrance to the UP loop tunnels, with the branch passenger (6417) exiting the branch tunnel.

The rest of the morning was spent picking peas and beans.  I picked our first borlotti beans and our first runners.  After dinner I concentrated on removing all the blight infected leaves and stalks from the potatoes, before spraying them with copper oxychloride.  Itís not available any longer, because of legislation, but I have a stock that will last a while.

Later, I returned to the Train Shed and concentrated on fixing the Foamex in place.  Here you can see the results.

And this is from the other end of the Train Shed. 

Then I started gluing the backscene to the Foamex.  This is where I had a problem.  id backscenes suggest using spray glue onto the Foamex, but I found it difficult to manage.  It seems to spray out too quickly and form running globules that have to be wiped smooth with a piece of kitchen roll.  Also, when adding a second piece of backscene, it is almost impossible to spray the glue sufficiently close to the edge of the previous one, so the join is not very good.  I think I will try Pritt Stick for the next one.  Anyway, hereís the result.

You can see the join, but I think a bit of invisible mending tape should do the trick.  I guess I need to experiment as I go along, hoping that I wonít do anything too rash and spoil the effect.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1145 on: July 09, 2017, 10:01:46 pm »
That's looking good, Laurence, especially with the curved backscene.

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #1146 on: July 09, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »
I the past I have used a good wallpaper paste to mount back scenes it allows some movement to adjust position,modern pastes are paint on the wall rather than the paper.
Diane Tape

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1147 on: July 10, 2017, 05:36:56 am »
Looking very nice, Laurence.

Joining the backscenes certainly is a bit of a challenge!

I also used wallpaper paste because of the chance of 'wiggle room'.

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1148 on: July 10, 2017, 05:49:50 am »
Starting to look very good indeed.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1149 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:32 pm »
Looks good Laurence. Nice to see the shots giving an overall view.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1150 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:55 pm »
Laurence

With each post I'm getting more and more jealous, it's shaping up to be a brilliant layout

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1151 on: July 10, 2017, 09:32:52 pm »
First thing this morning, I went down to the Train Shed armed with a Pritt Stick.  I touched up the joins where there were small areas lifting off the Foamex.  Then I tried using Pritt Stick to fix a complete length of backscene.  It proved very difficult and I decided that I would try another method.  I ran a tail chase with Tiverton Castle and Royal Ulster Rifleman.

Later, I remembered that another suggestion was to use watered down PVA, so I tried that next.  I did succeed, but it again proved very difficult.  The edges were not bonding well and I resorted to touching up with neat PVA.  So I thought I would have another go with the spray glue.  This time, I managed to sort it out.  If you spray it from a distance of about 9 inches from the Foamex, it produces a vertical line of glue.  The secret is to start along the middle line (i.e. between top and bottom) and move quickly along in the horizontal direction.  That give a good starting line.  Then repeat along the top and bottom.  Keep it to about a 30 t0 40cm run from the current position of the end of the roll.  A judicious use of a brush to spread any globules helps.  Then the backscene roll can be advanced by running the hand (or a clean piece of kitchen roll) from the starting position to the end of the glue.  Repeat the pressure along the top and bottom.  I managed to complete the available space using this technique.  Then, I cut a piece of Foamex in half, using a craft knife and steel rule.  Once the two pieces were screwed into place, I was able to use the spray glue to finish the backscene runs.

I still have the two end pieces of backscene available for screening the hidden loops, so I need to decide exactly how I am going to use them.  Next up is ballasting, after which I can start landscaping.  However, before landscaping, I probably need to construct the Metcalfe low relief models to go against the backscene behind the station.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1152 on: July 11, 2017, 05:31:20 pm »
Today was set to be a rainy day, so I took advantage of the initial dry spell to pick raspberries and tayberries.  Iím glad I did because the first spits of drizzle started while I was picking the raspberries.  I did get into the Train Shed before we went to the gym and today was the turn of Forthampton Grange to chase its own tail.  There were a few stutters, but a bit of track cleaning sorted them out.  It now runs quite well, although there is still a bit of drawbar slack on occasions, mainly on points.

While it was running, I began trying out my ballasting skills.  First I mixed 5 teaspoons of ballast with just over half a teaspoon of ballast magic and mixed it well using the plastic cup provided with the ballast magic.  Then I spread a little on a section of the branch behind the screen (or what will be the screen) hiding the DOWN loops, where it cannot be seen.  I used a small watercolour brush to spread it between the rails and the stirring tool (again provided with the ballast magic kit) to shape it along the shoulder.

Later, after dinner, I did a little more tidying up of the ballast and tested it with 6417 and the branch passenger. 

You can see Forthampton Grange in the background, passing with the intermediate passenger train.  After that, I carefully tidied up the ballast, using gentle strokes of the brush and scraping away loose bit of ballast from the edge of the shoulder.  When I was fully happy with the test section  I sprayed it with water (again, there was a small spray for the purpose included with the ballast magic kit).  Hereís the result.

So, tomorrow I ought to be able to start on ballasting, starting at the DOWN loops tunnels and working towards Marton Hinmarche station.  I shall only do a little at a time because I want to spray and fix each section before proceeding to the next.  It takes about two hours for the ballast magic to cure, so it will be slowly, slowly.  In the meantime, I will be able to make a start on the low relief buildings to go against the backscene in the town.  Also, before each ballasting session, I will continue with the tail chases to help run in the locos and the track.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:44:45 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1153 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
Hi Laurence, nice looking backscene. I am sure that you will resolve the join problems. Nice looking ballast too.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1154 on: July 11, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »
The ballasting is looking neat enough Laurence. Should look good once it's all done.
It's after the horse has bolted I'm afraid but it might have been good to paint grey under the track before ballasting. That way any gaps won't show - especially around points.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything