!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 57683 times)

Black Sheep and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1125 on: June 29, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »
The instruction sheet from ID Backscenes suggests the use of 3mm Foamex for mounting the backscene.  I have decided that it would be a good idea to cover the ply backscene boards with Foamex and stick the backscene to it.  That way I can form curved corners.  So I have ordered enough to cover the ply boards and overlap the joins.

I also decided that I can get away with moving only one point, by removing a short section of track about 1” long.  I set bout that this afternoon and after I had pinned it all down for the Copydex to cure, this is what it looked like.  You can see the one inch section beside the newly laid track.

And here’s a view looking along the crossover showing that it’s now a smooth transition from the branch to the UP main.

Finally, much later, I tested the crossover with 45206 hauling the milk train and there was a nice smooth crossover.

So now I really am ready for ballasting and I must order some soon.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1126 on: June 29, 2017, 07:38:46 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Laurence. The tip to use 3mm Foamex for mounting the backscene is very useful. (I have still to mount my backscene.)

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
I’ve ordered some Noch PROFI granite ballast and some Deluxe Materials Ballast Magic.  The idea is to mix the Ballast Magic with the ballast and apply as a dry mix.  The mix can be brushed to the exact profile required and then sprayed with a water mist to activate the Ballast Magic.

First thing, I rechecked the crossover that I re-laid yesterday and found that it had crept away from the Copydex adhesive. The result was a bit of a jump at the transition from the crossover to the point on the UP main.  My miniature drill and a track pin were sufficient to realign it correctly and now it all works perfectly, so I really am ready for ballasting now.

Just as I thought it was drying up outside so that I could get something done in the garden, the drizzle set in again.  I managed to pick a few Tayberries and set the mousetraps, but that was it.  So I started on the tunnel entrances.  After I had built the base card section for the first tunnel entrance I found that the first Sheet A that I picked up had a problem.  The sheet must have slipped in the jig when the scores were made, so that the scores were seriously misaligned.  Here’s a picture of the card.

Here’s one from a different angle, which might be clearer.

I tried to contact Metcalfe by replying to their Email confirming my order,  but I received an error message “Server error: '550 This domain is not hosted here'”.  This was rather strange, so I tried again by forwarding the Email to the explicit address.  Again, I received the same message.  So I tried phoning them, but all I got was an answering machine message saying they were closed and they only opened from Monday to Thursday.  So I tried a completely new Email, but with the same result.  Finally, I filled in the contact form on their website but, so far, there has been no response.

Fortunately, there are two tunnel entrances in each kit, so I was able to proceed with the other Sheet A.  Finally, I completed the tunnel entrance, with a side wall for the branch line.  I will probably add a wing to the other side of the tunnel entrance to complete it.

Tomorrow, I will see if I have time to start on the single-track tunnel for the branch line.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1128 on: July 01, 2017, 06:45:27 am »
Disappointing that you had a faulty Metcalfe kit. Unusual too, in my experience.

Metcalfe have a new or updated (to me anyway) website and I wonder if there's a glitch in the contact form element.Their customer service has always been pretty good but I've never tried to phone them.

Hope you get a replacement kit OK and look forward to seeing how you get on with your ballasting. The only tip I can give you on the latter is Once it's Down, Don't Fiddle With It;)

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1129 on: July 01, 2017, 07:46:36 am »
The only tip I can give you on [ballasting] is Once it's Down, Don't Fiddle With It;)
That's why I want to use the dry mix approach so that I can get it exactly as I want it before I apply the water to stick it down permanently. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1130 on: July 01, 2017, 05:19:43 pm »
I have been waiting in for a delivery all day today and so didn’t spend much time in the Train Shed.  However, first thing, I did manage to tail chase Tiverton Castle and Royal Ulster Rifleman around for a couple of circuits with their express passenger trains.  Tail chasing is something I want to keep doing while I am working on the scenery, running each pair of locos in turn to keep them in good running order.  I would have liked to make a video of them running through the station, but time did not permit, so there are no pictures today.

However, I did receive two Train Shed parcels from the postman.  The first was the ballast and Ballast Magic, so I can get on with ballast laying, first practising my ballast laying skills on a piece of spare track.  The other was four cans of spray glue to fix the backscene to the Foamex.  The slightly disappointing note here is that the Foamex may not arrive until the end of next week or even the beginning of the following week.  :(  Another slight setback is that I had intended to order two bridges from Metcalfe to take the London Road over the tracks at the UP end of the station.  However, I obviously missed adding them to my shopping cart, so I will have to reorder them.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1131 on: July 01, 2017, 11:11:15 pm »
 :hellosign: You are making excellent progress Laurence, thanks for the latest updates
    regards Derek.

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1132 on: July 02, 2017, 06:58:18 pm »
First thing this morning I added the wing wall to the mainline tunnel entrance.

Then I gave Forthampton Grange a couple of circuits, chasing its own tail.  There was a coach derailment on the first set of points exiting the UP loops, but that might have been because of a nudge while it was parked in the loops.  Thereafter, it ran very well, although it did require a slight nudge to start after one of the station stops.  It is still a little jerky, but at least it now runs continuously without stopping.

Later I brought out the two express passenger trains I ran yesterday made a video of them passing through the station.

I have made the carcase for the other tunnel entrance, but cannot do anything further until I receive a replacement printed sheet.  So I started on the branch line tunnels.  Here’s the progress on the first tunnel entrance in position next to the UP main tunnel entrance.

With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1133 on: July 03, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »
I didn’t get much time in the Train Shed today.  First thing I ran 45572 Jubilee “Eire” in a tail chase with 61664 B17 “Liverpool”, which was quite good fun.  At the same time, I ran 6417 on the branch, which turned out to be slightly problematical.  I think the branch may need a clean, but it may be that 6417 just needs a bit more regular running.  After that, I constructed one buttress for the branch tunnel entrance and that was it.  We had a committee meeting (Grrr…) this morning and this afternoon began with watching Andy Murray.  Then it was harvesting:  I picked the first SunGold tomatoes, and the first fine beans.  After that it was strawberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries, tayberries and raspberries.  I also had more of a torrid time trying to get the online B&Q delivery arranged (that was promised for Saturday, but never materialised).  I think I will cancel the order tomorrow and ask for a refund.

On a happier note, I heard from Metcalfe and they were most helpful.  A replacement sheet should be on its way.  The problems I had Emailing them turned out to be a problem with the Outlook setup in Office 365.  The problem with buying a new system is that everything needs a lot more tweaking than you would ever imagine.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1134 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:12 pm »
Your gooseberries are ahead of us Laurence. Ours need another week I feel. Strawberries are a different matter, we've been picking pounds of them for the last 3-4 weeks.
Plenty of broad beens here too plus lots of potatoes.
Time of plenty!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1135 on: July 04, 2017, 09:25:15 am »

Plenty of broad beens here too plus lots of potatoes.

How about the has beens and the human beens, Martin? ;)

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1136 on: July 04, 2017, 08:52:13 pm »
First thing this morning I had a tail chase with the two long distance goods trains, 3846 and 92006.  There was a slight problem at first because, either I had set one of the points wrongly or it had switched during the first circuit.  I suspect the former is the case.  Anyway, I set them running and started to continue making the branch tunnel.  All was fine for a couple of minutes until, suddenly, everything stopped.  I could see that there was a short circuit and I investigated 92006, which was stuck on a set of points.  However, that didn’t appear to be the cause.  Then I saw that 3846 was on the wrong track and had run into the back of the intermediate passenger hauled by 61664 “Liverpool”.  I lifted both goods locos from the track, but the short persisted.  I then went round franticly checking points for shorts, without success.  It was at that point that I noticed that Liverpool had been pushed forwards and was shorting across the IRJ of an exit point.  I moved Liverpool back to where it should have been and, fortunately, the short disappeared.

After that, everything worked effortlessly, apart from the fact that I had to periodically bring 92006 to a halt in the DOWN loops because it (obviously) runs a lot faster (50mph) than 3846 (20mph).  I was then able to make a little more progress with the branch tunnel entrance.  When the postman came, he brought the replacement sheet for the double track tunnel at the entrance to the DOWN loops, so that was good news and a swift turn round by Metcalfe.

Much later, I returned and worked on the branch line tunnel entrance.  I haven’t quite finished it yet, but I have added the side walls and positioned it next to the mainline tunnel entrance.

And here’s a view from another angle.  There’s a bit of leaning showing in the photos, but it’s not apparent to the naked eye.

With kind regards
Laurence

Steamie+

« Reply #1137 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:30 am »
Great job on the tunnels Laurence and the video is great too, lovely long trains passing. I know what you mean about new systems too, took me awhile to get used to my Macbook Pro, but now it’s the bee’s....

Happy Modelling Laurence.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1138 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »
First thing, I ran Cranmore Hall in a tail chase with 80119.  The 2-6-4T stopped when it reachee the main line, but a little track cleaning sorted that out and everything was fine for the rest of the tail chase.  I had to stop Cranmore Hall in the station a couple of times to allow 80119 to get well ahead because of the speed differential (80119 only runs at 40mph, whereas Cranmore Hall runs at 60mph).  While that was going on I put the finishing touches to the branch tunnel entrance.

When we arrived home the B&Q delivery had been left on the drive without any notice of delivery.  The driver had phoned our landline from his mobile to say that he was outside.  Obviously, because we were out, there was no reply.  But this afternoon, I had to move 60 paving slabs into the back garden so that I could get the car back into the garage.  After that, I managed a little fruit picking, but decided that my back had done enough work for one day.

Later I made the other branch tunnel entrance to the DOWN loops.  I haven’t finished it yet because I need to complete the mainline tunnel entrance to decide what retaining walls I need to use.  When I had finished the main tunnel structure I was able to start work on the mainline tunnel entrance which had been held up because of the faulty card.  Here’s a picture of the progress so far.

With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #1139 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:29 pm »
When we arrived home the B&Q delivery had been left on the drive without any notice of delivery.  The driver had phoned our landline from his mobile to say that he was outside.  Obviously, because we were out, there was no reply.  But this afternoon, I had to move 60 paving slabs into the back garden so that I could get the car back into the garage.  After that, I managed a little fruit picking, but decided that my back had done enough work for one day.
Moving 60 slabs would have finnished me off never mind fruit picking I probably would not be able to move for at least 24 hours. ;) :sweat:
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here