!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71413 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1110 on: June 24, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »
Your very methodical approach seems to be paying off, Laurence. I hope there will be no more major problems with track or trains.

Steamie+

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1111 on: June 25, 2017, 06:27:13 am »
It’s coming together Laurence, all your hard work is showing it’s hand.  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1112 on: June 25, 2017, 08:25:05 pm »
First thing this morning I removed all the pins and carried on with the retesting. I ran 92006 all the way round without further ado. Then I ran the Jubilee followed by the hall and 80119. Finally, I ran Dicheat Manor with the parcels train and I am now ready to run 9744 with the small local passenger. Soon all the track testing will be complete. When I get back to my computer I will post more details
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1113 on: June 26, 2017, 09:50:49 pm »
I didn’t get down to the Train Shed until last thing because we went to the dentist today.  Now, you may think going to the dentist is no big thing but, unfortunately, we still go to the same dentist that we began using more than 25 years ago in Oxford, which is nearly 180 miles away.  So we make a little break of it, going down the day before, starting after the morning peak and arriving before the evening peak.  That way, we have a pleasant excursion, with a nice evening meal and a glass or two of wine.  Then after seeing the dentist in the morning, we make our way home again.  I expect you all think we are mad, but we also have our car serviced once a year in Milton Keynes, using the same format, so we probably are mad.

Today’s brief encounter with the Train Shed involved running 9744, together with the short local passenger train, round the circuit with station stops, then setting up the points for the local goods and the milk train to run tomorrow.  That will finish the current round of running, although I need to repeat it at regular intervals to keep the locos in practice, so to speak.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1114 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:47 am »
What we'd all love to know Laurence is......how did you fare at the dentist?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Jimbo

• N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
« Reply #1115 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:55 pm »
Today’s brief encounter with the Train Shed involved running 9744, together with the short local passenger train, round the circuit with station stops, then setting up the points for the local goods and the milk train to run tomorrow.  That will finish the current round of running, although I need to repeat it at regular intervals to keep the locos in practice, so to speak.

.......and to keep the train crews' route knowledge up together!  :thumbsup:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1116 on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:20 pm »
Today, I did manage to get down to the Train Shed first thing.  I ran 45206 pulling the milk train and 64960 pulling the local goods.  The first thing that happened was that 45206 began derailing, particularly the bogie.  This had never happened before.  I also had a problem with one of the milk tankers derailing.  The latter problem was cured by promoting it to the front of the train and turning it round so the rear coupling became the front coupling.  Later I returned and removed the front coupling from 45206 and there was no further problem, although I may consider moving three of the points on the station board to reduce the radius of the crossover from the branch to the main.

I then experimented with the deceleration of 64960 and found that, unlike previously, I was able to increase the deceleration time.  This enabled me to reduce the top speed and use normal acceleration for it.  So it now performed as I had originally intended.  Here’s a video of it decelerating into the UP loops.

I tried a similar strategy with 3846, but it would not allow me to increase the deceleration time so it was back to square one with it.  Later still, I began to erect the rear panels for the backscene behind the station and town.  So far, I have erected three of the four panels.  They each reach 10” above the baseboards.  The backscenes are 9” high, so I have left a space for some edging.  I think it would be a good idea to spray the tops of the boards sky blue so that any gap between the backscene and the edging will appear as sky.  Here are the three boards, awaiting the final board along the back.

For those interested in the dentist, Celia had to have an extraction.  It was the first since she was a teenager, but the decision was made on the balance of probability about the outcome.  I had a damaged crown removed ready for a replacement.  It cost us more than buying a couple of locos for the Train Shed but, in the long term, I consider it money well spent.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1117 on: June 28, 2017, 07:34:02 pm »
It rained a lot today.  In fact, it’s still raining and we have had 22.6mm so far today and with yesterday’s rain that make’s nearly an inch in old money.  But at least I did get some time in the Train Shed.  I finished attaching all the main backscene boards and I have tacked on the first two pieces of backscene with Blu-Tac to see how it looks.

I have another board to add to ensure the trains exiting the UP loops are safe and then there is the facia (or kickboards) to add, plus the boards to screen the hidden storage loops.  I may leave them until last to give me maximum access to the loops during these pre-operational days.  I now need to make the tunnel entrances and the semi-relief buildings to go along the backscene.  Plus, I want to move on to ballasting, although I need to decide whether or not to move three of the points in the station complex.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1118 on: June 28, 2017, 07:36:54 pm »
The backscene is looking good in position. It'll help to bring things together I think.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1119 on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:32 pm »
Looking good Laurence, I do not need to tell you you need to sort the points before ballasting. It is supprising how a backscene helps to make things look better. Putting it up first means you have to take care with any other scenic work in front of it but you have the advantage of mixing the colours to blend in with it.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Steamie+

« Reply #1120 on: June 29, 2017, 05:14:23 am »
Looks excellent Laurence and so neat and tidy too, the backscenes looks really great and finish’s your layout off to a tee.   Happy Modelling Laurence.   

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1121 on: June 29, 2017, 05:50:24 am »
Looking good. Backscenes really do help paint the picture.  :thumbsup:

Any chance you can engineer the corners to be curved rather than at 90 degrees? That helps enormously with setting the scene and also avoids unwanted shadows.

Dave G

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1122 on: June 29, 2017, 06:09:50 am »
As on NPN's Belchey Bletchley.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1123 on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:13 am »
I agree, the photographic backscenes make a very big difference.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1124 on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:21 am »
Any chance you can engineer the corners to be curved rather than at 90 degrees? That helps enormously with setting the scene and also avoids unwanted shadows.
I have some 3mm plasticard which I intend to use for the corners, but I'll permanently fix the first backscenes before going round the bend, so to speak.
Looking good Laurence, I do not need to tell you you need to sort the points before ballasting.
I need to decide whether or not to move them before starting on the ballast.  I would rather not move them, but it might be best to bite the bullet.
It is supprising how a backscene helps to make things look better. Putting it up first means you have to take care with any other scenic work in front of it but you have the advantage of mixing the colours to blend in with it.
I needed the backscene in place because I am going to make some low relief buildings to go against it.  The idea is that the backscene will be visible behind them.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here