!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline bmwm4rkym4rk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 08:29:54 am »
I would agree a lot of uk suppliers are expensive dm toys are very reliable and friendly and do some astounding deals on sound locos
Also aandh models are extremely helpful and put a lot of video on you tube to watch I am on my 6th sound loco purchase now from the continent you can usually

Offline TheEdge

• Driving big trains and little ones
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
How noticeable is the difference between Euro 1:160 N and UK 1:148 N?

Could UK outline buildings vehicles pass. Obviously I'm not planing on using British outline stuff where it will look wrong but an industrial warehouse, a chimney or a Ford Fiesta is much of a muchness wherever in the world. So will things like Oxford diecast N vehicles I can get hold of from my local shop look wrong? Or will it only show if I used a mix of 1:148 and 1:160 items next to each other?

Offline TylerB

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 03:21:57 pm »
You might think this is a bit of way to go, but if you're wanting continental stock there's always the Eurospoor exhibition in Utrecht, near Amsterdam, in October

http://www.eurospoor.nl/en/

It's an enormous show, in addition to tons of layouts they have hundreds of stalls selling new and second hand stuff, so you could fly out on the morning Easyjet, fill your bag and then (possibly) fly back the same day (I know someone who does just that). Obviously the exchange rate has gone south recently, and some of the stallholders are quite hardnosed when it comes to bargaining, but if there's a rare or unusual European item you're seeking there's probably no better show to find it. Some good layouts too!

Offline Notroh

• N Gauge Society Number: 25489
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »

Could UK outline buildings vehicles pass. Obviously I'm not planing on using British outline stuff where it will look wrong but an industrial warehouse, a chimney or a Ford Fiesta is much of a muchness wherever in the world. So will things like Oxford diecast N vehicles I can get hold of from my local shop look wrong? Or will it only show if I used a mix of 1:148 and 1:160 items next to each other?

Hi

I model 1:160 (French) and the difference between scales is about 10%, so figures are virtually unnoticeable - although I do prefer Prieser figures, they are such high quality. Vehicles are ok, Oxford do german vehicles and there are some good German suppliers which you will find on many of the sites suggested above.

Buildings are the real problem, the difference really shows. 10% in a 30ft high building is very noticeable.

Personally I scratch build virtually all my buildings as 1:160 French buildings are very expensive and there isn't that much choice. But modelling German outline, you will have plenty of choice and the German kits are more reasonably priced.

Hope this helps

Peter
My Layout: Trouve - not that far from Perdu:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31546.0

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 12:20:54 am »

Going to throw in a new prototype question.

How much overlapping is there of various national rail stock? Basically would OBB, SNCF, SBB, NS etc trains and locos/stock be seen in Germany?

Wagons overlap all the time.

Hauled coaches overlap in certain circumstances. In the old days there were many international trains so you often saw French and Swiss stock in Germany, for example on the Hispania express which used to take Swiss and French coaches deep into German territory.
The old Paris - Frankfurt/Main  ECs used SNCF Corail stock .

Swiss coaches are still used on the Zurich - Munchen ECs

High speed trains overlap. SNCF TGVs work into Germany and Switzerland

DB and OBB have always had reciprocal arrangements for locos as their technical systems are very similar. In the 1970s and 1980s OBB express passneger locos ran through to Gemnay and German locos ran through to places as far away as Vienna.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:21:55 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:53 am »

I wouldn't recommend using 1:148 scale scenic items when there are thousands (if not millions) of scenic items available for European 1:160 N scale. It is no coincidence that the largest and best known model railway scenery manufacturers are all German.

At the average UK model railway show there will be at least one second hand stall with cheap second hand European N scale buildings

A good comparison for road vehicles is between the VW campervans as Wiking of Germany have done one in 1:160 for years, and Oxford now do one. You can tell the difference in scale quite easily .

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:30:01 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 08:00:43 am »
You might think this is a bit of way to go, but if you're wanting continental stock there's always the Eurospoor exhibition in Utrecht, near Amsterdam, in October

http://www.eurospoor.nl/en/

It's an enormous show, in addition to tons of layouts they have hundreds of stalls selling new and second hand stuff, so you could fly out on the morning Easyjet, fill your bag and then (possibly) fly back the same day (I know someone who does just that). Obviously the exchange rate has gone south recently, and some of the stallholders are quite hardnosed when it comes to bargaining, but if there's a rare or unusual European item you're seeking there's probably no better show to find it. Some good layouts too!

there is an Eurospoor 2016 thread here

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=34522.msg401194#msg401194
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 11:31:33 am »
Just a note on reality of cross-border locomotives and sets in Switzerland: bear in mind that many of the railway companies in Switzerland run their services on metre gauge track, so while you can buy Rhatischebahn and Glacier Express locos, for example, for 9mm tracking, they would not be seen running on the main Swiss network, except where dual railing is present, such as at Brig.
Also, electrical power feed rates can vary, limiting what can run where.
It all depends on the degree of realism you want to achieve as to what you have running.
Personally I shall be setting up a system with Rhb and mainline SBB stock with some separation, but if my Glacier Express strays onto the standard gauge domain I will not be too fussed. Getting SBB double decker passenger cars  around tight St Moritz or Zermatt bound curves might be another matter though.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here