!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trix ICE 3 train  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
Trix ICE 3 train
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
Just got hold of the front and rear light kit (from Trix) for the above set, I have converted the instructions into english, but it along with the diagram is not really helpful as to which way the small block that houses the LED's goes. I have tried Google but so far have drawn a blank, the loco will run on analogue, it looks a simple enough install, it's just mounting the light block ??????

Any help would be useful.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Trix ICE 3 train
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:19:42 pm »
Quinntopia has added lights to an ICE 3 - he did not use the Trix kit but it may give you some clues
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline el Gato Gordo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:57:17 pm »
Bob -

Did you ever get the lights installed?

I would like to get lights (fore and aft) on my Trix ICE 3.  Do you have the Trix item number for that light kit?  Or a link to who might be selling it?

Thanks,
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Colorado

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »
Yes I did get them installed without too much trouble, I got them from an ebay seller direct from Germany, no part number I'm afraid, as they arrived in a plastic pouch with just Trix stamped on. Hopefully the link should send you direct to the sellers Ebay shop.

Bob

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Satz-Stirn-und-Schlussbeleuchtung-fur-Minitrix-ICE-3-analog/262826947595

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:57:45 pm »
Gordon, is this a simple start-set ICE 3 with the centre car powered?   

So far I can't find a part number of an official Minitrix upgrade kit to fit head/tail lights, but I did find this german page detailing a method of fitting lights as part of fitting a DCC decoder.   

https://www.haltiner-online.ch/index.php/ice-3-von-minitrix

I've not read it through in detail, but basically it involves running your own micro-cables to each end (with 3 pin sockets so you can separate the cars), and you may have to carve your own channel for the lights to sit in.  It mentions bridging some solder points on the main board, I'm guessing they're where resistors would go if using LEDs (he's used grain of rice bulbs by the look of it)

I have the "Superman" ICE 3 set which I bought really cheap just for the powered chassis, I'm tempted to have a go at following the instructions on that link.

[edit]
 Ah, Bob replied while I was writing!
That looks like a much better option.  I see it says no drilling or soldering requried.

Where does it get power from Bob - does it need cabling through to the centre car or do the Steuerwagen have pickups nowadays?

[/edit]
[2nd edit]
Answered my own question: I see it says on the listing that axle pickups are included with the kit.
[/2nd edit]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:14:16 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline el Gato Gordo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02:12 pm »
Thanks, Bob & Nick.  My set is the 7 car Trix set, yes with the Bord-Restaurant car powered.  I've been running it for years and it runs great.  I've seen the Quinntopia video on installing lights, and figure there must be a better way.  I hear that Kato is getting ready to do an ICE-4, so it will be interesting to see what bells and whistles they offer.

Cheers!
Gordon

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 04:04:08 pm »
Hi Bob, yes I saw the ICE-4 driving car shown on Lemke's stand at the large Stuttgart show last November.  Should be good!

I do have a full length Arnold ICE 3 set, from their original (pre Hornby) production. It suffered from motor problems which is unusual for Arnold. There were quite a few forum comments about stiffness of the gear towers etc.   Mine now has a Tomix powered chassis from a bullet train, the bogies are almost identical and the slight difference doesn't notice as the set zooms past!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:19:11 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 01:24:52 pm »
ntp!  :photospleasesign: :photospleasesign: :photospleasesign:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:19:24 pm »
ntp!  :photospleasesign

Are you asking about the Kato ICE4 or my Arnold/Tomix ICE3 conversion?

For some info about the ICE4, see page 12 of the New Item list here:
http://www.lemkecollection.de/media/files_public/qpgfdvvdh/LEMKE%20Neuheiten%202017.pdf

Offline G_N_E_R

• I enjoy cigars, scotch, polo and N gauge
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 11:19:54 pm »
The Arnold ICE 3 Conversion, mine has a split gear and I would rather not seek spares! Its never been the best runner! I have my eyes on the ICE 4 already  :goggleeyes:
Regards
Phil

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:40 am »
Appologies for the thread drift!

Hi Phil,

with mine I found it got slower and slower over the years since I bought it in Germany in 2006, and the motor ran hot, but I could never find any actual split gears.  As I said, I did read on German forums that others had reported similar problems with this particular model.  I even got hold of another 2nd hand power car from ebay but couldn't get a decent running unit out of the two sets of parts.

I can't offer a fully detailed write-up, but here are some photos of the conversion that I took at the time:

I used a power car from a Tomix Shinkansen type 125.  Item #2822.  I bought it cheap several years ago at a show "just in case", and finally found a use for it!  I don't know how easy it would be to get hold of one of these now?

Here's the original Arnold chassis (for others who may be reading this)

Here's the "fettled" Tomix chassis for comparison.  You can see I had to create cut-aways in the block to accommodate the clips of the Arnold underframe molding, and narrow the front of the block to fit the nose. It looks like I also carved away some of the top of the underframe molding, compared to the shot of the Arnold chassis block.

Here's the underside. As you can see I had to cut a hole in the underframe to accommodate the motor bulge

So as I hope you can see the replacement chassis is a pretty good match, at least from normal view distances as it runs past.   It runs very well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:12:03 pm by ntpntpntp »

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 06:13:05 pm »
I have the three car set and the lights get their power from the pick ups that is supplied so no need to run extra wires or have any plugins. They work exactly the same as the older minitrix coaches that have light bars.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:28:46 pm by Shiney Sheff »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:46 pm »
Interesting, so there definitely are Minitrix ICE3 sets fitted with pickups on the driving ends.   However there are also sets that don't - I think these are probably for cheap start-sets and things like the Superman set that I have.

[edit]
Oh hang on - reading back through the thread you upgraded your ICE3 with Trix parts - so it didn't come with lights, what you're saying is the kit included the pickups?

As does the 3rd-party lighting kit also discussed.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:56:53 pm by ntpntpntp »

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:07:29 pm »
Interesting, so there definitely are Minitrix ICE3 sets fitted with pickups on the driving ends.   However there are also sets that don't - I think these are probably for cheap start-sets and things like the Superman set that I have.

[edit]
Oh hang on - reading back through the thread you upgraded your ICE3 with Trix parts - so it didn't come with lights, what you're saying is the kit included the pickups?

As does the 3rd-party lighting kit also discussed.
[/edit]

Yes, the kit comes supplied with pickups 

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything