!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to fit Dapol Knuckle couplers to rolling stock without NEM coupler pockets  (Read 1500 times)

Offline McRuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Hello,

With the next Great-britN meeting aproaching in July, I converted my It's N Gauge Class 27
with its Farish Class 33 chassis and Haeckman (from these parish) old Farish by Bachmann Class 20 and Class 46 to Dapol magnetic knuckle couplers without
NEM pockets.
I started with my Class 27.
first I removed the bogies and disassembled them.

Next I used the shims contained in the Dapol NEM conversion kit. From these shims I used the thin and the middle thick part. These I cut to a size that fit in the
old coupler pockets. For one coupler pocket you need one piece of the thin one and one piece of the middle thick on.

Now you glue each of the thin and middle thick pieces into the old coupler pocket with liquid superglue.

I used the long Dapol knuckle couplers for these conversions. From the end of the coupler I removed the sloped end.
Then I glued the coupler in place using superglue.

Here you can see the Farish chassis coupled to a Dapol Insulated Van.

These method should work with Farish 4 and 6 axle diesel locos without NEM coupler Pockets. E.g. Class 20, 33, old 25, 37, 55. If these also works
for the old Class 47 I don*t know, but I assume it will work.
For the two old Farish by Bachmann Class 20s owned by Haeckman and me I used the same method.
But be ware that these conversion is permanent. And when you don't lengthen the thinner part behind the knuckle on the coupler shaft
so that the coupler will stick out a bit more. The loco won't negotiate curves less than 40 to 45 cm radius.

Next I continued on Haeckmans Class 46. These was a bit tricky.
The bogies are different to the 2 or 3 axle bogies. I have forgoten to make a picture of the unmodified bogieframe
On the undersite of the bogieframe behinde the headstock there is a small opening which goes over into a small vertical
slot on the headstock.
Here I also used the long Dapol knuckle couplers, and removed the sloped end.

Markus

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Today I made some pictures of the Classes 20, 27 and 46 with the Dapol knuckle couplers.

Markus

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Today I converted a Dapol Grain Hopper Wagon to Dapol magentic knuckle coupler.

The wagon from below

Seperate the body from the chassis

Then remove the coupler and spring from the coupler boxes and also remove the small pin from the inside of th coupler pocket.
Then glue a piece of plastic with superglue to the underside of the coupler box. I used a part of the shims that comes with the Dapol conversion set.

Now open up the vertical slot of the old coupler box, so that the shaft of the Dapol coupler fit freely.

Next cut the Dapol knuckle coupler to length like in the picture

Next I cut the middle piece of the Dapol shims to size so that it will fit in the pocket, and then glue the shim in the pocket.
Look that the shim sits horizontal in the coupler pocket.

Then glue the coupler with superglue into the pocket.

And here heigth comparison.

Next I will fit Dapol knuckle couplers to the Peco Elsie knuckle couplers

Markus

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
As promised, the conversion of a Peco wagon.

First disasemble the Peco wagon in it's parts.

Now open up the vertical slot of the coupler pocket to the right size so that the shaft of the new coupler will fit.

The next step is to cut the thickest and thinest part of the Dapol shims (of the conversion pack) to the right size so they will fit in the Elsie coupler pocket.

Now glue first the thick piece and then the thin piece of the shim horizontally in the pocket with superglue.

Cut the long knuckle coupler to lenght similar to the picture (longer shaft will allow your wagon to run on tighter curves)
Then glue the coupler in the modified coupler box with superglue, maybe you have to press it down a bit until the glue has set a bit.

But be aware that these conversion could not be redone. And the wagon might not negotiate tight curves in a train.

Markus

Offline BR_InterUrbem

• Awards
This is a fantastic tutorial, thank you!

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
I converted today one of my Farish VGAs to Dapol magnetic knuckle couplers. This is a little more effort than on the Farish VBA or OBA.
Since the car has a relatively long wheelbase and also a longer overhang, I decided to use the Peho short coupler mechanism for the conversion.
This is available here http://peho-kkk.de/
First the chassis must be separated from the bodyshell. This is quite easy because the shell is only screwed with two small screws to the chassis. When it is removed,
remove the original coupler mount. Now go on with a scalpel or similar sharp cutter.
So that the new short coupling mechanism does not sit too low and the coupling is also too low, you have to let it into the carriage floor. To this cut an opening into the
chassis floor. I have first cut along the original coupler mounting pad and then expanded the hole with a scalpel and file that fits the coupling mechanism.

DSCI3772 by mcruss1, on Flickr

DSCI3773 by mcruss1, on Flickr

Next, I have glued in a 0.5mm thick polysterol plate from above to close the hole. When the glue is dried, the coupling mechanism can be installed.

DSCI3774 by mcruss1, on Flickr

Before I installed the coupling mechanism, I removed the protruding small piece at the front of the coupling mechanism.

DSCI3777 by mcruss1, on Flickr

DSCI3775 by mcruss1, on Flickr

Now glue the coupling mechanism with super glue in the opening, before the glues sets, aling the mechanism as good as it can. And make sure that no super glue creeps in the
mechanism.

DSCI3776 by mcruss1, on Flickr

DSCI3779 by mcruss1, on Flickr

Before I inserted the couplers, I widened the small recess for the coupler on the buffer beam, so that the coupler can clear it.
I hope this can be seen in the next two pictures.

DSCI3780 by mcruss1, on Flickr

DSCI3781 by mcruss1, on Flickr

Now put the coupler pocket on the small pin (this I had already made at the beginning in order to be able to handle the coupling mechanism better), and adjust the height.
If this fits, cut off the overstanding pin and secure it with superglue.
And here the result.

DSCI3782 by mcruss1, on Flickr

I have spoken to the owner of Peho, and he told me that payment could be send with Paypal.

Markus
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:47:35 am by McRuss »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Hi McRuss,
Sorry but none of your photo links work.
Please check for yourself and advise.
Regards Delboy.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
I'm required to sign in to a Google account I don't have

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
So I have checked Google Pictures and changed the settings. So please try again.

Markus

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
Still asking me to sign in, Markus

Offline Delboy

• Awards
I am asked to sign in also and don't have an account
D
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Hi

When I click any of the links I get a 404 error page not found and I do have a google account.

Cheers

Paul

Offline McRuss

• Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
Hello I'm sorry for any inconvinience. I've changed to Flickr now. Now you should see the pictures. As I have found out I've got a Flickr account since 2011 but I've never used it.

Markus

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
Much better, Markus. Excellent tutorial.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Thanks Markus,
Thanks for taking the time to produce what is an excellent tutorial.
regards Dennis.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here