!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coupling solution required  (Read 839 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Coupling solution required
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:49 am »
I bought a non-runner wagon on EBay the other day and it arrived.
Perfect condition.

It is a new-ish Arnold HN6102 Transvesa ferry type van. Made in China.
I already have its Arnold (Western Germany manufactured) counterpart E.252 DB Ferry Van which is excellent.

The Chinese version retains the excellent body, but the chassis is a mish mash, including some horrid die cast bits to add weight.
The swinging coupling boxes of the German made version have been replaced by close coupling fittings similar to the Dapol and other types, which ought to work, but they foul the wheel rims.
Absolutely crazy redesign.
So either you have no couplings and the wagon runs freely, or you have couplings and the wheels are jammed solid.

No wonder the owner sold it on. Anyone come across this, and got a solution. Its a great wagon if it had working wheels and couplings!

Bob

Offline GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
Re: Coupling solution required
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:40:40 pm »
It may be that someone is along with the perfect solution in a moment. Failing that, and accepting that I don't know the answer, any chance of a picture or two of the problem?
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:52:05 pm »
Here are some photos of the differences between the two wagon chassis.
The first shows the two coupling types from the side view.
the second shows the two coupling types from beneath.
You can see that the swinging close coupling design fouls the wheel well which the wheel rim should run in.
Also the close coupling mechanism simply doesn't work that well at all.
it has been shoehorned into the design in such a way that it moves stiffly and not at all like a Dapol of Farish offering.
The old fashioned Arnold swinging coupling box is far nicer, and it works!

Sorry I cant get the pictures to upload.
Bob

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:27:24 pm »
These pictures you mean?

Paul

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:55:33 pm »
Yay. That's them!!

Just reads the words from my previous post and look at the photos. :laughabovepost:

I am afraid this is a case of copying a great idea (close coupling) and making it not work  :no:

If I take the couplers off the model is a gem.

Bob

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:58:22 pm »
Oh and when the couplers move to the right or left, they don't move out but travel under the buffer beams instead.

its all wrong! :help:

Bob

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:05:13 pm »
Would smaller diameter wheels or wheels with smaller flanges help? Current UK and US wagons have smaller flanges than the standard Arnold ones.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Franšaise des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:00:26 am »
I tried new low profile Farish but the axle lengths are longer so the pin points would need filing down. And still I think the rims would foul the coupling mechanism.
Since the coupling mechanism doesn't work in any case I'd be happier changing this and using the existing wheel sets.

I still can't see how this model could ever get past any quality control. It looks fab but it just doesn't deliver on so many counts.

Bob

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:16:33 pm »
Thanks for the pictures. The "Kurz Kupplung Kinematik" or, to give it its unfortunate acronym, "KKK", is pretty much standard on German models nowadays and lots of vehicles are progressively being redesigned to accommodate it. I'm slightly mystified that the flanges foul the mechanism in the first place - on my older style model, the wheel flanges barely go into the floor recess under the chassis. I'm not a fan of the KKK design, I'd have to say, as I find it's not guaranteed to drop back into place cleanly after going round the proverbial bend.

Back to finding a solution, I can't see wagon couplings available on the Arnold Ersatzteile website, and tbh with postage it probably wouldn't be worth it. A possibly extreme solution would be to fix the coupling directly onto the chassis and remove the KKK mechanism completely, but on such a long wagon I imagine you need some flex? Would it be possible to superglue the business end of the mechanism to the floor or wagon body and remove the remainder?

PS - just a thought and apologies if you've already tried this, but does the new wagon work with the older wagon's wheels? Just wondering whether it is the wheels that are more at fault than the coupling.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:19:33 pm by GScaleBruce, Reason: Further pondering added »
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here