!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 3640 times)

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:07 pm »
If anybody is running any kato USA models and needs a new lighting board or two or simply wants to put one back into its pre-dcc form -let me know I've got boards from ...
Emd nw2
Emd sd40-2 mid production (early screwed frame)
Emd sd40-2 mid production (screw less frame )
Emd sd70MAC x2
Emd sd70ACe
And one Atlas dash8-40bw

All are working fine

Sure we can come to some agreement some how  ?

Regards

Neil
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:15:03 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling »
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:10 pm »
Friday night -3 locos left to convert couplings -then I'm done ! I'm finding them easy to do -trial later to make sure they behave themselves ! Front standard kato -rear new mtl's.

Regards

Neil

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »
The Atlas dash-40bw has gone digital this morning -test run later on plus a bit of cv setting -bit different to do than the usual kato's I've been doing -had to split the frame a fair bit to get the old board out /new in. A small black clip kept riding up out of position and wouldn't let the frame close up properly. Got it in the end though! Sadly no ditch lights on the 2001 edition -so no extra wiring required -never mind will be riding behind another loco as a consist so won't need it's lights on anyway ! Just couplers to do -but I don't have any today  :'(

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online mr magnolia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:03 pm »
Hi Neil
Be interested in seeing any close up photos of the new mtls vs the Atlas couplers!

Donald

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 08:09:32 pm »
 Donald -
First two are loco -mtl's-white tank is a standard atlas coupler .

Then over too a converted atlas tank with mtl's.

Best I could do ! I hope it gives a comparison ??

I'm happy enough !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:36 am »
Thanks!
They look good, and you are certainly getting a closer coupling.

Donald

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 06:48:35 am »
I'm not sure if the white Atlas tank is factory fitted with a medium or long length coupler - the retro fitted black one is defo a 1035 roller bearing truck with a short coupling !  I know this because I have some ready to do the few Atlas wagons I have ! .
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 01:04:42 pm »
Just catching up on my train addiction, 

This looks like a great layout and the Edna mine plan is a good one.  Cant wait to see how the unitrack works out with this plan.

Also if I were you I'd hang on to the lightboards incase you have DCC problems and need to test the locos sans DCC

Graham

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 03:07:07 pm »
Thanks Graham - but the unitrack is just the grandsons and mine test track / get him into the hobby set up - intend to use peco code 55 on the layout ! Sorry if that's disappointing but it's a pig to blend in  and you have to design around the radii  available!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:47:03 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling error »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »
 :NGaugersRule:
These wee fellows turned up today -even the kato Bethgon coal trucks and the twin stack container system can now got to mtl's. The ugly standard n gauge coupling is history ! The bethgons will be in rakes of four or five with a mtl front and rear -and a standard kato coupling in the middle. The twin stack are just a front and rear anyway sharing a bogie in the middle . I thought of replacing the whole truck coupler assembly as I done on other wagons but that's not a cheap option and the reviews say these work -so Hey-ho let's try them out. They look at bit fiddly and I may have welders hands -but there quite dextrous still. Will post the outcome.

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 08:57:24 pm »
And finally mtl's vs athearns mchendrys-another not very handsome coupler and boy look at that gapping  :goggleeyes: but everyone I've asked or review I've read says the mchendry is reliable and works / couples/uncouples with mtl's OK . Would anybody else out there like to have there say-so then please my experience with them is limited and I'm keen to hear what people think or have seen !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 06:28:34 pm »
Time to publish the results of the microtrains 1128 installs -well there not good I'm afraid-in fact I will say it's a fail on my part ! I've given up with them for the minute until I meet somebody who can show me were I'm going wrong ! The coupling conversion is in 5 bits -you remove the old one piece kato coupling and spring leaving an empty box as such as a mounting box . Two parts of the coupling just slide together one piece over the trip pin to make the coupling ten you add a hyper small spring to the rear and finally clip the lot together with a metal c shaped clip (they call it a draft gear box) all while holding it together in the box on the truck -I tried fingers/pliers /tweezers-you name the tool I've had it in there -all to no avail ! I even ended up with really bad cramp in my hands one night (but that's down to years of abuse by me !) I super glued the spring to the metal clip using a cocktail stick -that stopped them flying into oblivion ( into which two have passed ) I went back onto the net looking for answers to no avail -I came across an entry on train board in which they had used 1015 body mounted couplings and cut the box off the truck ( a bit to permanent for me ( I thought I might use 1036 trucks they have no couplings on them and the 1015)) kato even have an ejector pin Mark-were you have to drill so there's no guessing involved .

OR I have just cheated and fitted a 1035 truck with its inbuilt coupling at the min -and will trial that !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline john94732

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 07:02:18 pm »
Hi Neil.

This YouTube video might help as it has some tips on assembling a micro-trains coupler (1015), particularly the use of double-sided tape on glass as the third-hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqGY47HuU4

John

p.s. looking forward to seeing your mine layout.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
Hi Neil.

This YouTube video might help as it has some tips on assembling a micro-trains coupler (1015), particularly the use of double-sided tape on glass as the third-hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqGY47HuU4

John

Thanks John-I've managed the 1015  -but thanks for the video link -might make it easier ? The picture of the wagon upside down and the loose coupling -that's a spare 1015 built up -my problem lies with the 1128 there's no you tubes -no fyffer video- nothing it's got to be the way I'm approaching it ?

I'm hoping somebody on the forum has had some success  and can tell were I'm going wrong ??
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2017, 01:54:47 pm »
Latest and probably last additions to the fleet -I wanted to do a little cameo where the new flood loader is under construction -and all the waste from the foundation was piled up ready to ship out- I  wanted some low slung gondolas (4-6 ish) to make up a train -struggled for months till I spotted 6 railgon leasing 50'gondolas on eBay in Germany. Price was OK-BUT he had an offer option -so I emailed and asked what was his lowest acceptable price ? Next morning I had the price he wanted-good saving too - so

We now had 6 con -cor wagons-with the standard n gauge coupling 🤐

Into micro trains Web site -barber s2 70t trucks = 1035 -I had some in stock -easy enough to remove the old trucks -pull pin -ease off -now follow the instructions on the packet -

The hole in the metal sub chassis is to big -so you use the small castellated bush supplied with the truck/coupling . Pushing it in from the truck side -smallest side first ( I put a little superglue on the chassis to make sure it behaved) with a pair of pliers till it jammed -then trim off with a sharp knife all that projects beyond the chassis

I also countersunk the bush a little with the tip off the knife just to give the pin a chance ( it is and has to be a interference fit) You then put the small washer (also supplied) on top of the Bush

Then using a small pozi  screwdriver I put the pin into the truck through the washer and press -hey ho the trucks on and moving freely . Now just look at that gapping!!!! Only 4 more to do -and there taking roughly 8-10mins per wagon to do ! A bit different job of conversion -but easy enough

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations