Bank of Dad

Started by 1936ace, March 18, 2016, 03:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

...I'm guessing you're edinburgh based then?  I grew-up just outside it and always thought it not too bad to drive round it thought these days one-way systems seem to prevail and it's pretty confusing.  I live up in Inverness now -very small traffic flow but it's just very scary -completely whacky races, shut your eyes, waggle the wheel andpress go. Nothing like I've seen much other places.  Ironicaly also, the high street in Inverness was reportedley the most air polluted street in Scotland at one point in the last year or so -who would have thought it in all the heeeeland good air?

njee20

I agree the curfews on policies would be a big deterrent for me. Anecdotally ice seen reports of people crashing because they're rushing to get home and beat a curfew. Which seems like madness.

Nik96

It's a cost we all bare,

I passed my test at 17 and bought a 2008 Volvo S40 for the UK insurance group 18. I was working 39hrs a week and saved like mad, I still only just managed to buy both car (~£3500) and insurance(~£3800). I opted to bypass the black box and curfew options just in case anyone else got behind the wheel (Mechanics, parents etc) as they way they drove reflected on me even though they have their own insurance the black box cant be turned off and goes on and off with the ignition. After having a minor prang which resulted in me pulling the rear bumper off a jaguar and didn't even mark the paint on my volvo. I then upgraded to a 2011 Volvo V60 for the UK insurance group 23. With one prang, no no claims bonus and a vehicle more expensive my insurance came down still the same no black box or curfew type policy (~£1000). This year I have been more fortunate and so far, touch wood, have managed to go without accident.

My renewal in June should be ~£2000 I'll accept that.

Considering I live in a town with relatively high car theft I'm quite happy paying that much considering the car I've got.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

njee20

£4K on the insurance?! Madness.

Why not drive a Fiesta for a year?!

Nik96

Quote from: njee20 on March 20, 2016, 08:30:04 PM
£4K on the insurance?! Madness.

Why not drive a Fiesta for a year?!

I object to driving a non-commercial ford. I'm extremely fortunate that I had no other outgoings, no rent etc etc. I wasn't even old enough to have a mobile phone contract.

Ultimately the S40 was a focus with a body kit. I'd rather pay £4k for a volvo than ~£2.5k on a fiesta.

austinbob

Quote from: Nik96 on March 20, 2016, 08:36:25 PM

I object to driving a non-commercial ford. I'm extremely fortunate that I had no other outgoings, no rent etc etc. I wasn't even old enough to have a mobile phone contract.

Ultimately the S40 was a focus with a body kit. I'd rather pay £4k for a volvo than ~£2.5k on a fiesta.
:confused2:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Nik96

Quote from: austinbob on March 20, 2016, 08:39:11 PM
Quote from: Nik96 on March 20, 2016, 08:36:25 PM

:confused2:

Its a matter of choice. As we all have a criteria when buying a car, no hatchback will fit mine.

njee20

The Fiesta comment was flippant, I didn't literally mean that. Just can't comprehend spending £4K on insurance. Still, you did, and clearly don't regret it. Fair play to you.

ryan2390

Same here. A few years ago when I was what...21 maybe...I looked at insurance on the big estate car so I could drive it with the L plates on. While I don't remember the specifics it was around £7000 for a year as a learner!

Hoping to finally get back into it and pass my test this year but I dread to think what it'll be on the little car I've been learning/driving in. I do think sometimes that the insurers take the mickey a little bit. Youngsters are encouraged to get a job and be independent yet if you live anywhere vaguely out of a town you need a car to get to/from work and so on. Not sure how given the cost of premiums.

If I could remember the reg number of the little car I'd look it up but I don't and I don't much fancy traipsing downstairs and down to the drive to find out.  ;D
My BR Blue to modern day layout planning thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32155.0

njee20

Insurers lose money on personal motor insurance, they're not taking the mickey. Many 17 year olds crash their cars - see above; spent £3800 on insurance and still crashed into something expensive.

mr bachmann

here's me moaning about having to lay out £84 quid fully comp for the minicar - er' The Bank of Dad bit , it's a after Easter wedding and now they tell me the car is not needed as bride to be will find it uncomfortable using the single door - grooms mate it seems has a moggy minor  :(

Karhedron

One trick for reducing car insurance for young people is to include a more experienced person as a second driver. If the insurance companies think that mum or dad will be driving some of the time, that can knock a few hundred off the bill.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

njee20

But don't put them as a main driver and the teenager as a named driver - that's insurance fraud (fronting) and they'll invalidate your policy if they find out.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations