Coaling plant/ash plant help

Started by 1936ace, March 08, 2016, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all
Would only the biggest of depots have had a coaling plant and ash plant such as those made by graham Farish, 42-070 and 42-086
I had intended to run the old loco depot at the large junction as a heritage setup as I ran Br blue but I now have a good stock of steam locos.
The loco depot or the junction is a sort of half way mark between London and Scotland so would it have been a bigger then normal depot or just an out depot
Sorry for the newby question but even though the track plan is down I'm just about to lay track so can modify it if needed
Bart

TylerB

I would imagine they would have been more suited to larger depots - is the model based on the one at Carnforth maybe? That would fit in with your heritage idea.

Of course, if you are building a heritage depot, it could be a smaller setup, you could just imagine a history of the place that it was once much bigger but that a lot of the former railway land has been sold off for housing and industry, so if you only have a few sidings left it would not necessarily be incorrect?

daveg

Hi Bart

I have the Farish coaling tower, ash plant and water tower for my (incomplete) medium size yard. The yard includes a double shed and a TT with 5 tracks off.

With help from NPN (Mick) I was able to check that my choice of kit wasn't OTT.

The plant sequence I have found via the old movie 'On the Shed' suggests that it was Water, Coal and then Ash.

I'll do a photo later and post it here.

HTH.

Dave G

joe cassidy

The Ratio coaling plant (a kit) is smaller than the Farish one.

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations