!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.  (Read 15915 times)

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2016, 12:27:19 am »
Very interesting

It just goes to show how there are many different ways to think about and enjoy model railroading.

For me, I've only my main line and two passing tracks built and operational so far. The focus is on running longish trains in both directions through this track set up. Have been spending my time making scenery, but am gradually approaching the section where my town and yard will be. Certainly, this thread gives me some ideas on how I might set up my operational yard (as opposed to my storage, i.e. fiddle, yard which is already constructed). I'm now thinking that the 'town' will be quite minimal with a few enterprises only to serve the industrial operations including a fast food joint and a motel behind a small station building.

Webbo

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »
I don't care much about how many moves I make or how efficiently I assemble.
I do my best to think ahead for moves but relaxation is more important here.
When I do this quick operation, I usually run a train on my oval track so I can look at it time to time while shunting.

Hi Dats - yes, I also like to run one train continuously whilst shunting the yard. I'm fascinated the way you schedule the shunting (switching?) - at my mine, most of the wagons are similar, just empty or loaded, but I can see that introducing some maintenance problems (as if I don't have enough real ones!) will make even that job more interesting!

Mike

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - Operation.
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:42 am »

After that, you went to talk to the Yardmaster for any unusual restriction on the yard. He talks about some gossips and scratches his “hind end” and finally said everything normal today. He handed to you today’s switch list without washing his hands. 

Oh Man, sounds like the same yardmaster who worked at South Pine. 

Andy
UK
 :claphappy:
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - Operation.
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2016, 05:05:10 am »
Hi, Webbo. Thank you for your time reading my thread. I'm jealous that you can run long trains on your layout. A long train can't physically fit on small layout but larger layout can contain small layout elements. I think you have an advantage there.
You can have a quick shunting session on your siding if you wish to. Or you can simply enjoy the timetable and train order or some sort of operation. Although my understanding is that those are not a modern railroad practice.
It would be nice to see a hot shot train taking over a slow drag unit train or a merchandise forwarder.  :jealous:

Hi, Maridunian.
Thank you for your comment.
I don't know what kind of phycological effect but somehow those roundy round trains make me relax. Especially my train is running smoothly with slow prototypical speed. Would you agree?

Hello, Andy. Thank you for your reply.
I was told that the Closet yard's Yardmaster has a brother who works at railroad yard in Indiana.
Apparently, the brother makes more money and driving better car than the Closet Yardmaster. You really shouldn't mention him about his brother unless you're ready to listen his nagging for half-hour.
By the way how's your layout? Anything changed?

Mr.Yardmaster at work? Or just being there.

More about the Operation.
I have rule #1 and rule #2.
My rule #2 is "apply prototype railroad practice on my layout as much as you can". But rule #2 can not take over rule #1. Always rule #1 dominates.
I started rule #2 by deciding geographical location and era (we all naturally do this while planning the layout) then I designated the directions by following my prototype railroad practice which is Southern Pacific.
For example, on SP system all trackage are designated West or East even where the tracks geographically running North or South. Next naming everything on my layout trackage. I mean everything!! Just like real railroads.
Next step was deciding mileposts of all physical characteristics locations. This will be indication of how compress your "track mileage" would be. If you  compress a lot, you can model locations that far away each other. If you compress less, you can focus one region well.(I tried to emphasise this on my "Qualifying the Closet " video.)

I'll take some pictures when I playing with full length  operation next time. Well, then again I might staring roundy round trains as per rule #1. :camera:

PS. I still don't know how Buddy list works on forum. Please let me know what it does.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:12:06 am by dats475, Reason: Picture added »

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2016, 08:03:09 am »
Ha ha ha ha!  That looks like Marv Dunphy, the yardmaster at South Pine, alright!  He's fond of egg sandwiches as well, which no doubt endears him to his colleagues when they are sitting in the offices on a slow afternoon....

Actually, yes I have made some alterations to the layout since my last video.  I have two new locos, have had four others come back, all with decoders installed (thanks to Bob the Bear if he's reading, or even a member here).

Also, I have finished a new junction in South Pine so that trains can go to the Roxo Plastics Packaging plant.  This opens up a new operation where a hopper full of pellets is delivered to Roxo.  It only takes a half hour to empty.  Then the hopper is moved away.  Next, a couple of box cars are put into the siding to pick up finished products.  These are the plastic inserts you will find in TV dinners or microwave meals, or anything else where plastic food packaging is used.

Next the box cars are switched to the main yard and to Doyle Silver Group.  There, the remainder of the space in the cars is filled with cardboard food sleeve packaging, flatpacked on pallets.  Then those two cars will leave on the next train out.

I am in the process of making a video of all this, and it will be up and running before long, I'm sure....

Andy
UK

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2016, 11:56:15 am »
Hi, Maridunian.
Thank you for your comment.
I don't know what kind of phycological effect but somehow those roundy round trains make me relax. Especially my train is running smoothly with slow prototypical speed. Would you agree?

Well, it's relaxing when it is running smoothly - I have lots of old Minitrix 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 locos, and some of my trackwork isn't as kind as it could be, so occasional stalling occurs. My current layout features changes of height and some very tight curves, and quite a long tunnel where it's tricky to keep the rails clean and to rescue stalled engines, so letting trains "just run" can still be quite stressful!

I'm tweaking the layout gradually, cleaning locos more often, have a track-cleaning train set up, and am building some "tender trucks" and "shunters' trucks" with their own power pickups to permanently couple to these locos.

Hopefully I'll be able to relax eventually!

Mike

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »
Hello, Andy. Thank you for your comment as usual.

You said what?!! Two more loco's?!!... :jealous:
One thing I admire about your work is you're not afraid of changing things. I can see your track placement and scenery are getting more and more US-prototypical arrangement in every new videos. I'm very impressed about that!!
Do you have a track plan written out if you do I'd like to see that!!
I'm more hesitant to change things.
Also, I'd like to know more details on your scratch/parts bashed MHRR loco.
It looks like MHRR is competing good with all US class 1's.

Hi, maridunian. Thank you very much for your comment.
Yes, it's a quite bit of  frustration when loco stalls.
On my layout,
potential stalling locations on my layout are switches and one place where a slight out of gauge track joint. All of my switches are insulated frogs.(because those were bargain sale.) Next time I definitely use Electro- frogs.
I soldered all joints.
In retrospective, I should  not have solder switches so I can replace them later I need to. (I trimmed my switches to save the space so I don't even know I can do that.) :headbutt:
For out of gauge problem, I'm planning to solder the rails to PC tie if it gets worse. I used spikes for temporary solution.

My locomotives are from Atlas, Intermountain, Micro trains and Bachmann loco with sound. Only Bachmann loco gives me a constant headache.
I can't speak for different manufacturers but It seems to me that all of stalling problem are on electrical pick ups. I noticed where the tracks are slightly warped (twisted side warps), some pick up system wouldn't work well...like Bachmann loco. Atlas locos can manage with that kind of truck swivels because of pick up strips they have...I think.

I do have deadly tight curves too. To my surprise, all of my loco's can negotiate them well even 6 axles!! Well, it looks pretty ridiculous though.

I experimented with transmission oil for improving the electrical conductivity yesterday. The result was "Didn't work".  :'(
The rail head got so dirty right away, a loco started stalling. I suspect that dirt of rolling stocks got loosen and distributed. End up with cleaning with alcohol as I've been doing it before.
Maybe I applied too much oil... Well, I don't know.
That's leading to a question. How do you clean rolling stocks wheels? What is the option of the most effective way to do it? All of my rollingstocks have plastic wheels.

Another question, can you trim a peco switch to shortened the overall length?
Peco tracks are relatively expensive in US. Although, a lot of experienced modellers are using Peco in US, I never have had the opportunity to use one. If I need to replace a switch, I'm planning to change to Poco.
I have read in this forum said "don't to use set track switch".
Is it really that bad? Can US 6 axles loco negotiate the set track switch?

No progress on my layout.

An evening on the Closet Branch.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:50:31 pm by dats475, Reason: A picture and a question added. »

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2016, 04:47:04 pm »
Hello, Andy. Thank you for your comment as usual.

You said what?!! Two more loco's?!!... :jealous:
One thing I admire about your work is you're not afraid of changing things. I can see your track placement and scenery are getting more and more US-prototypical arrangement in every new videos. I'm very impressed about that!!
Do you have a track plan written out if you do I'd like to see that!!
I'm more hesitant to change things.
Also, I'd like to know more details on your scratch/parts bashed MHRR loco.
It looks like MHRR is competing good with all US class 1's.

Yes Dats, you read that right.  Two more new locos are running on the layout, one new Union Pacific, and one new SOO loco.  I'll show them both in the next video.  I now have 77 to choose from.  WAAAAAY too many, but I'm hooked.  What can I say?  Never be afraid to change your layout, whether it be trackwork or scenery.  You can always change it again a few months later if your plan didn't work out.  Nothing should be set in stone. 

I don't have a trackplan, I'm afraid.  If you look through my videos, you can pretty much see every inch of the layout now. 

I'm not sure what you see with the Montrose and Highland Railroad locos.  I haven't bashed them or modified them much at all.  I have three SD40-2s, a C44-9W and soon an SD70ACe.  They are pretty much standard locos, just repainted and with custom decals.  Anyone can do it.
My locomotives are from Atlas, Intermountain, Micro trains and Bachmann loco with sound. Only Bachmann loco gives me a constant headache.

I only ever had one Bachmann N Scale US loco.  It's currently in pieces in a drawer.  I doubt it will run ever again.  Very poor.  Just as poor as Bachmann British locos, almost.

I experimented with transmission oil for improving the electrical conductivity yesterday. The result was "Didn't work".  :'(
The rail head got so dirty right away, a loco started stalling. I suspect that dirt of rolling stocks got loosen and distributed. End up with cleaning with alcohol as I've been doing it before.
Maybe I applied too much oil... Well, I don't know.

A word of advice for you :  If you ever put liquid anything on your rail heads, wipe it back off again before you run the trains.  I put Goo Gone on my rails, but wipe it off again before running.  It attracts dust, gunk, anything in the air, between the sleepers or off the wheels of your stock, and holds it.  Alcohol is different, as it quickly evapourates.

That's leading to a question. How do you clean rolling stocks wheels? What is the option of the most effective way to do it? All of my rollingstocks have plastic wheels.

I clean all the wheels of my locos and stock using Goo Gone.  In fact, one of my videos, Number 8, highlights this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT9mdLpfU2M

I have read in this forum said "don't to use set track switch".
Is it really that bad? Can US 6 axles loco negotiate the set track switch?

No progress on my layout.

An evening on the Closet Branch.

I have a couple of Settrack Peco switches, or points as we call them.  They are ugly looking things!  I only use them where I don't have room for anything else.  Also, as they have insulated frogs, short wheelbase locos will stop dead on them.

I always try and use Electrofrog points.  Even using those, after a while, locos will stall on them, as they get dirty.  The only way to help with this is to use an electric point motor, or I prefer to use Tam Valley Frog Juicers.  I highly recommend them.

Andy
UK

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:43 pm »
Hi, Andy. before I'm going to say thank you to your reply, really??!! Wow! Astonishing!!
77 locos??!! I'm super jealous now!! I knew you have a large number of locos but 77, I mean seventy seven locos in N gauge/scale!! You have 70 more locos than me! If I have that kind of collection, I would smiling all day everyday!!
It must be wonderful to have them and enjoy them running. Very inspiring, Andy.
The loco that I ask was in MHRR video #21. You mentioned that you made the loco from "spares and scraps". The one with MHRR scheme. I'd like to know details of how did you assembled it...

Transmission oil.... Well, I saw a guy on YouTube using it. He said put the oil on track and let your train distribute It.
I think like a graphite stick...I guess.
Didn't work on layout though.

About cleaning the rollingstock's wheels.
I've been doing is putting a paper towel with alcohol on a piece track. Then rolling a car on top of it. It doesn't clean perfectly.
I'll be honest, I don't clean very often.
 I just wondering if there any other method that more effective.
Any ideas? (Anybody reading this, please help.)

I can't get over it. 77!! Wow!!
Finally, thank you Andy. I'm looking forward to seeing your video #33!

I have nothing to share so I'm going to show off my three (out of seven) engine. My modelling era is early 1980's and all information are from 1981 Southern Pacific Review magazine.

SD40T-2
SP class EF630-11
Built in 1980
Model made by Intermountain.
Oh yes!! Very beefy.

SD45T-2
SP class EF636C-6
Built in 1972
Model made by Intermountain.
EMD's 20 cylinders monster.
I should weather to make this more older appearance than my SD40T-2.

B30-7
SP class GF430-C1
Built in 1980
Model made by Atlas.
GE's revolutionary "Dash7" technology. Fuel eating  machine.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:24:14 am by dats475, Reason: A picture added. »

Offline M0NTIGNAC

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2016, 07:08:06 am »
 :greatpicturessign:
Nice diesel. I always liked big diesels and big trucks.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2016, 07:45:12 am »
Hi Dats

I have one of these which is good for cleaning the driven wheels of locos. For other rolling stock I use a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol or a toothpick for stubborn bits.

The Peco points vary quite a bit. You might be able to trim 1cm or so from some, but it would be asking for trouble, I feel.

Mike

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »
Hi Dats, and Mike!  I have one of those wire brush thingies as well.  They work just fine, but it's not my favourite method of cleaning the wheels.

I like your locos Dats!  I have a DVD here which shows SP locos moving snow off Donner Pass.  It's fascinating.  The locos they use are '45s, similar to yours.

Yes, 77 locos.  Waaaayy too many.  My plan eventually is to emigrate to the US and have one of those big basement layouts we all like to see.  If I've got the locos and stock already, perhaps it won't be quite such an expensive project.

I know which loco you mean now.  It's my 4417.  I bought the chassis as a non runner from NCE directly, yes, THE NCE company.  It was originally a test loco of theirs.  When I got it, I could see the only reason it didn't run was that it had none of those brass pick ups that go on the trucks.  So I got a couple of those off ebay.  When the loco was running, I bought an unpainted bodyshell and put the old "Blood, Custard and Tomato Juice" livery on it.  Then I decaled it, sealed the decals and then weathered it.  I wish I had not weathered it, as I don't like the end result too much.

Anyway, that's the story behind 4417.

I have just bought a UP SD70ACe from a member of the N Scale Forum.  It's on its way from California.  When it gets here, it's getting the same colour scheme as above, and being renumbered.

Andy
UK
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:32:48 pm by texhorse »

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2016, 02:01:57 pm »
Hi Dats

I have one of these which is good for cleaning the driven wheels of locos. For other rolling stock I use a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol or a toothpick for stubborn bits.

The Peco points vary quite a bit. You might be able to trim 1cm or so from some, but it would be asking for trouble, I feel.

Mike

I have used a cotton bud soaked in gin, I  was given a bottle of gin
as a present,  but hate the smell and taste of it......... :(
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:14 pm »
Quote from: maridunian link=topic=32034.msg398457#msg398457 date=147167551r.com/item_details.asp?code=M66623
For other rolling stock I use a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol or a toothpick for stubborn bits.
as a present,  but hate the smell and taste of it......... :(

A botanical railway then - cheers!

Mike

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2016, 02:28:26 am »
Hello guys, thank you for your input.

Hi, M0NTIGNAC.
Yes, I really like the Tunnel motors.(were big engine at the time) To me, somehow they always have to be MU'd. Otherwise they look awkward. Too bad that my layout is too small for those engines.

Hi, Mike.
Thank you for your information. Since I'm the one asked the question, l have to actually start to clean the wheels!! All of my rollingstocks wheels are quite dirty at this moment.
Have you ever tried the metal wheels? I heard they stay clean longer.(???)

Yes, 77 locos.  Waaaayy too many.  My plan eventually is to emigrate to the US and have one of those big basement layouts we all like to see.  If I've got the locos and stock already, perhaps it won't be quite such an expensive project.

Hi, Andy.
Sounds like a good plan to me!!
But wait!! Then who is going to deliver Hattons package to modellers in UK? Mail system would collapse without you! You make me worry.. First about officer Bart then now this!!
A very interesting story MHRR 4417 has. thank you for sharing!!

as a present,  but hate the smell and taste of it..

Hello, Agrippa.
For wheel cleaning, Vodka might work too.
If you clean small engine with margarita, it might increase pulling power because of sticky suger content. How do you think?

Well, still no progress on The Closet Branch so showing off my loco again.

SD-9E
SP class EF618E-1
Built in 1976.
Model made by Atlas.
Riding comfort. Sacramento rebuild engine. A lot of details are missing form the model but nice to have one.

MP-15
SP class ES415-7
Built in 1974
Model made by Atlas.
One of main engines on the Closet Branch. Switcher's visibility with road trucks. Excellent model.

SW1500
SP class ES415-2
Built in 1968
Model made by Micro-trains.
Classic switcher. Tight curves? No problem!! Runs OK. No lights on rear, what's up with that!!

GP40-2
SP class EF430C-2
Built in 1979
Model made by Atlas.
Newer addition to my roster. Doesn't have decoder yet. Waiting for winning the lottery for  the fund.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here