!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.  (Read 15917 times)

Offline dats475

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: A layout in my closet- The Closet Branch.
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:22 pm »
Hello!
I finally bought something. I wanted a Roundhouse SP boxcar for my father's day present.
As always, my budget was the problem. I made bid on three different auctions but I lost all of them. Then there was an auction of unknown brand SP boxcar and I won the bid.
It looks OK to me. The brand name is BCH. I have no idea who they are.
How do you think?

By the way, this is why I like Roundhouse boxcars.

Left is Roundhouse boxcar, right is Fox valley boxcar.
Both of them are straight from the box. You can see Roundhouse boxcar rides low. Plus they are three times cheaper!!

A little addition to my layout. The derail!!

Every industries should have a derail for protecting mainline. Now I have to watch out when I switching the industry.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:34:48 pm by dats475, Reason: Pictures added. »

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 01:39:30 am »
Thanks for the photos dats

Just finished having a look around for Roundhouse rolling stock and it seems to be limited nowadays due to the company (MDC Roundhouse) being sold off. What there is does seem to be inexpensive though. I'm intrigued by the low riding box you show in the second picture. Has this been fitted with body mounted couplers? Dan at PWRS has told me that his North American Railcar Corporation is thinking about going to body mounts to reduce the ride heights of their rolling stock to more prototypical levels. Some of the NARC cars are already body mounts. To me, the problem really only shows up when you have two cars together one lowered and the other sitting on Micro-Trains trucks.

Your derailer is a nice touch, but would not work for me as I'm sure to forget it's there till my rolling stock started coming off the rails.

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 11:55:08 pm »
Hi, Webbo. How are you doing?
Thank you for your comment as always.
Has this been fitted with body mounted couplers?
Cool! I figured out how to use a quote.
The answer is just ordinary truck mounted one.
Nothing that I wanted but I needed truck mount because of my suicidal track plan. I have "don't-do-it" 8" radius curvature. The truck mounted, however, can take it and couples no problem!  Only body mount couplers that I own are on engines and cabooses. They have a tough time couplings on the curve. In this case, the operation quality is more important than looks so truck mounted it is!  I don't know about you but if it doesn't couple or runs well, I I'll get blue and sentimental  rather quick and will get urge to destroy everything like 3 years old boy.( :help:)
Anyway, the riding height makes big different doesn't it?
As you mentioned the trend is body-mounted couplers I believe. I have two Wheels of time flat cars which have body-mounted. Their detail quality is amazing but I can't run in my layout.
How about yours? Do you like body-mounted better?
And have you ever tried to lower the height of a car?
Thank you again.

PS. I finally painted my backdrop sky which include LA's synonym "smog" but didn't come out good.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2016, 04:18:42 am »
90% of my freight cars have truck mounted couplers and I'm perfectly happy with this situation. As you say, body mounts have problems on tight curves and modern freight cars such as your flats have big overhangs between the trucks and the car ends making body mounts especially problematic on such curves. Body mounts on 40' boxcars would be less of a problem. According to my N scale manual, body mounts are more prototypical (obvious) and perform better if you have to back up a long train especially round a curve. Truck mounts go round tight curves in the forward direction better.

As for ride height, it seems that the typical N scale boxcar rides a little higher than the prototype. To lower the ride height one would have to file down the truck pivot then there would be a problem with the coupler interfering with the end of the car so more filing would be required there. To do this sounds like a fair bit of fiddly work for negligible gain. 

Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2016, 03:50:44 pm »
if you have to back up a long train especially round a curve. Truck mounts go round tight curves in the forward direction better.
Hi, Webbo. Thank you for your reply.
For back up moves, I can't comment for a long trains but for 10-16 car trains, I found lighter weight of a car makes more problems than body mounted or truck mounted couplers.
My new BCH boxcar is super light weight so I added two nuts.(I found spear bolts and nuts on my tool box.) I'll add a picture later.
I agree about lower the height of cars. Because of my super tight curves. I'm sure it wouldn't negotiate it if I lower the trucks. Probably the car body itself or floor detailing will prevent from extream truck swinging which I need.
Have you ever need to add weight to your cars?
Webbo, are you able to run a long train? If you do, please let me know how those couplers behave.
 :wave:
Dats

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2016, 01:20:17 am »
Hi Dats

I'm running trains with 30 or hoppers sometimes and have no problems with derailments in the forward direction. Pushing trains of this length sometimes causes a problem so I avoid doing this. The minimum track radius on my mainline is 18", but I'm certain with tighter radius curves backing up would be even a greater problem. The flange sizes on the wheels has a lot to do with this. Finescale flanges as some MT cars have are much more prone to derailment when backing trains than are the regular wheels (I'm told).

Adding weight is something I've only had to do with freight car kits that are made completely out of plastic and are pretty light. Your standard MT or Intermountain freight car comes with a metal frame so seem to have enough weight as they are. I suspect that the biggest problems would occur when pushing trains with light weight cars mixed into heavier cars.

Webbo 

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 02:15:16 pm »

No budget work.
My wallet is as light as my new car, so the weights are junks from my tool box. :headbang:
Did you do  any low budget project lately?

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch-A layout in my closet.
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2016, 09:56:55 pm »
Looks near enough to me ! Leaves more money to either enjoy life or put in the savings box for that special buy youve always wanted. Will you glue them or use double sided tape so theres no accidents ????
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Montignac.

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 09:17:04 pm »
 :wonderfulmodelling: :greatwork: :superblayout: :jealous:

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2016, 04:43:17 pm »
Hello.
Hi, outofgauge. Thank you for your reply. I should have ask you before I glued the weights!! Double sided tape is much better!!  :doh:
That's one of evidence that my low IQ and low budget are deadly combination. I'll think about it better before glueing something next time.

Thank you very much for a lot of smiling face, Montignac. I can't wait to see your modelling too.
Thank you again for your time reading this.

Well, not much of progress in summer but I took pictures.
Here is one of them.

Three engines yay!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:21:42 pm by dats475, Reason: A picture added. »

Offline Jillingsbri

• Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »
 :thankyousign: What a brilliant set of Vid's. Really enjoyed watching the trains shunting and reading the attached storyline. Sound tracks are great too, as is  your sense of humour..Love it all. Just shows what can be done in a small space.   :claphappy:  Cheers man, and thanks again for the entertainment. Beats the rubbish on tv here ;)!  Brian.
I just love the way the Earth rotates. Makes my day!

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »
Yo dats-dont keep putting yourself down -you must have a brain and a good iQ to create such a good masterpiece -it may be small but its perfectly formed -the detail is there in plenty -so youve got the eye ! Ive seen bigger layouts with a lot less detail than yours ! As for budget -well if you aint got one then your doing miracles -what would you do with a wallet full ? The mind boggles!!!!! Keep going your inspiring loads of us !!!

Neil
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:29 am »
I too am a great fan of his layout.

On bigger layouts the attention to detail is usually more spread out giving smaller layouts a potential advantage in this department. Nevertheless, the detail and colours (and videos) represented look just right and attest to the exceptional skill, creativity, and eye of dats.

Webbo

Offline Montignac.

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2016, 11:38:46 am »
I can't wait to see your modelling too.
:sorrysign: Not a chance ! I'm happy with an oval, one train and a DC power supply. That's all !

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Re: The Closet Branch - Operation.
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2016, 11:00:01 pm »
Thank you so much for your kind words, guys. I really do appreciate it!!  :'(
I'm learning great deal with you guys!! Thank you again!

One of reasons that my layout doesn't progress at all is I actually playing with my trains on the layout. When I have a 15minutes to play with trains, I'll use this method.
This is a most simplest form of operation that I'm enjoying in short Solo operation Session.
It's basically let cards decide the order of train and just shunting cars around.

Preparation.
Put 4 cars of your choice plus a tank car. Total of 5 cars on the yard.
You need make 4 identical cards such as back of business cards. Write the car’s initial and last three numbers on each cards except a tank car. (you don't need a card for the tank car.)
Shuffle and pick those cards to determine the car order that you'll assemble. (I like this “pick cards” system more than using a dice because you might get same number over and over on a dice.)

The tank car is consider a  “Hazmat car” so always be the 3rd car on the consist as per safety regulation.
Now, write the order on a piece of paper. That’s your Switch List.
You can make up different switch lists ahead of time to save more time.

Scenario.
You showed up at the yard office on time for your assignment sing-up time. Say hello to your crews. Go through today’s bulletin orders, a division notice and any paper works that indicates operation restrictions and revisions on your territory then you sign in the register.
After that, you went to talk to the Yardmaster for any unusual restriction on the yard. He talks about some gossips and scratches his “hind end” and finally said everything normal today. He handed to you today’s switch list without washing his hands. 
Your crews have received an authority to use entire yard from the Yardmaster since your crew is the only one working in the yard. You can assemble your train on any yard track.
Exception is a track where a caboose is sitting. You can't go there because a Blue flag is protecting the caboose for maintenance until the train’s departure. 
Your crews and you went to the engine house. The engine house foreman came over said something about an alternator keep messing up on one of engines which you don't care.
Now, your turn to work.

Variation.
You can change total car numbers if you like. (Tank car is always in the middle of the consist for safety rule purpose.)
You can add more idling cars sitting in the yard that are not part of the train which make more complicated situation when you assemble your train. They might be out bound cars or storage cars.
You can bring a “transfer train” or a “through train” to the yard dropping those cars on a yard track before you start shunting.
Also, you can make the switch list more authentic using actual railroad template instead of a piece of paper.
But I want to make everything simple here. I have only 15 minutes to play.
This is solely focused on a part of yard job. If you're working on a yard job, you really don't care about which car has what commodity or where they go. You just assemble a train in right order for a local job guys that take over the train later.

How I Play.
I always have a few different switch lists made up, so I pick one list and grab an engine which doesn't have a Blue flag display from the engine house and I'm ready to go.
I usually sip a cup of coffee or tea while shunting.
I don't care much about how many moves I make or how efficiently I assemble.
I do my best to think ahead for moves but relaxation is more important here.
When I do this quick operation, I usually run a train on my oval track so I can look at it time to time while shunting.
For me, somehow a roundy round train makes me relax.

I do use car-cards and waybills system and dispatcher cards for more complete solo operation that involves the dispatcher and a local job which actually delivers and pick up cars from industrial Spurs.
Naturally, those sessions take much longer to finish the whole cycle. (Although, I can stop a session at any time and continue it later.)

How do you think and how do you run your trains?

Car cards

Switch list

Blue flag protection.

Time to shunt.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:39:25 pm by dats475 »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127%