!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Closet Branch - A layout in my closet.  (Read 19513 times)

Offline dats475

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Thank you for your input, guys!
Well, I don't know what it called the effects but the word sound very intelligence so, I would say "yes".
Anyway, before I can be an intellectual, I need find the pictures to play with. I live 3000 miles away from the location I try to model. That makes very impractical to take the pictures myself.  I heard someone using Google earth for his backdrop.
If you're building the backdrop, please let me know how you're doing it.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Funky switches.
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
Two of my switches decided to quit working. No electronic current beyond those switches. So I made a new bus wire. Now it functional. Yay!!
I don't know how to disguise the wires yet. Any ideas?

Offline Webbo

• Awards
Re: A layout in my closet- The Closet Branch. "The Murphy's law"
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 11:15:29 am »
Don't look great as they are. Would you be better off soldering to the underside of your track joiners and then soldering the track joiner on to one side of the track if you wanted to be assured that every track section was electrified separately? By the way, I like how the sand has drifted over your track especially in the track section at the bottom in the photo.

Webbo

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:38 pm »
More dirt (filler heaped up) or some scrub vegetation maybe?

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:08 pm »

More dirt (filler heaped up) or some scrub vegetation maybe?

Thinking about this some more, how about a dirt road that crosses all the tracks right there ... a bit like this one?

Mike

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2016, 02:24:17 am »
Hello, thank you very much for your help!
Webbo, your right! I already had the bus wires there but it failed anyway. I couldn't attach those new feeders the underside of track because I have to rip the tracks and I was too lazy to do it!! ...well to be honest, I don't know how to do it without destroying the tracks. That's the truth.
Mike, thank you for your ideas!  I didn't use the crossing idea because I thought my yard tracks are too short to justify having the crossing there. So like you suggested, sand fills and vegetation and debris.
Ideally, car parts are the best. Like brake hoses, brake shoes, etc. But I don't know how I can model those little things.  The yardmaster would be unhappy because those debris are tripping hazard for crews.
I tried to attach a picture but not working. I'll try again later.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 04:03:57 am »
IMG 20160423 204612
IMG 20160423 204612
The Yardmaster: Hey, who did this!!

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Bachmann blues.
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »
Another challenge.
I purchased Bachmann loco with sound in January.
I paid less than half of retail price for a brand new engine at a train show.
I asked a sales person at the show that quality of Bachmann these days and he said that they got a lot better.
I was happy to have my first sound loco until I actually ran it. To be exact, "TRY" to run it. It stalls everywhere!
My question is how can you improve electric contact between tracks to chassis?
IMG 20160404 183430
IMG 20160404 183430
I don't know you can see the contact on the picture but here it is!
P.S. That night I dreamt the salesman said "you'll get what you paid for!! Ha,ha,ha!!".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:34:08 pm by dats475 »

Offline Webbo

• Awards
Re: A layout in my closet- The Closet Branch.
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 01:25:20 am »
Don't know what model of Bachman you have, but an SD45 would be a guess. This is what Spookshow has to say about this model:

I purchased and returned two of these things before finally (on my third try) figuring out the procedure for getting them to run properly. The thing is, out of the box these locos just flat out refuse to stay running (be it analog or DCC). Clean track, clean wheels, properly adjusted chassis wipers, none of it seems to matter. And the problem is particularly bad in reverse (where the locomotive will stutter along for an inch or two before finally going dark and giving up the ghost altogether - IE time to send out the five-fingered rescue crew).

Now, I don't know if it's the wheel blackening that needs to be worn off, or if it's the drivetrain that needs to be broken in (or some combination of the two), but the solution to all of the stalling problems is simply lots and lots and lots of running time. In my case, it took fully ten hours of roundy-rounding (alternating between forward and reverse) before performance finally smoothed out. And to actually get it to stay running during this break-in period, I had to crank the base track voltage on my DCC system all the way up to 20v (allowing the engine to run fast enough at full throttle such that it could power through all the stalls). Further, mine was delivered with zero lubrication on the gears. Consequently, about halfway through this break-in procedure I had to pull off the trucks in order to grease the gears and oil the bearings (to address some emergant screeching sounds).

Once suitably broken in, these are very nice runners indeed. Throttle response is smooth, slow-speed creep is excellent, the top-end speed is nicely realistic, pulling power is super strong, the lighting looks great (especially as compared to the previous version) and the sound is flat out amazing - easily the best I've yet encountered in N scale. But, wow, ten hours of running time just to get there?

If this is your problem, then the solution seems to be spending quite a lot of time running the loco in. A few years ago, I bought a Broadway Limited Imports E8 that ran abysmally out of the box. Spookshow suggested the blackened wheels might be the culprit. After running in my loco for a couple of hours, cleaning the track & wheels the loco now runs like a charm. The problem with sound locos is that if power is lost even for a split second, the loco goes through its start-up sound sequence which can be very annoying. The solution is to insert a capacitor into the circuit to smooth out the power and to make sure the track etc. is as clean as you can get it.

Hope this helps
Webbo

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 05:57:20 pm »
Thank you for your help, Webbo! (and Spookshow too.)
Yes, you're right! It's SD45.
I'll try to run the loco for as long as I can. I don't know that I can run it for full ten hours though.
So, do you think the problem is not the electric contact? I didn't know that blackened wheels have that kind of problem.
I don't know how to boost the voltage on my old zephyr neither but solution is simple enough for me.
Matter of fact, it's a good solution since I like to see my train running!!
I'll report back to you soon.
Thanks again for your help!!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 02:32:10 am »
Do you have a running-in circuit? If so, I'd couple up your new SD45 with another powerful loco or two and run them together at least till the SD45 can manage a circuit by itself. The second loco will ensure that the whole business keeps moving even if a bit jerkily. Spookshow mentions that lack of lubrication may be a problem with the SD45. Mike Fifer has a video on N scale lubrication that would be worth a gander at if you haven't already seen it. For me his take-home message is that our locos don't really need all that much and that it is mainly the bearings along the length of the drive shaft that need lubing.

Webbo

! No longer available

Offline Trent

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 08:19:43 pm »
Loving the atmosphere on this layout. 

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
Thank you and Bachmann SD45 update.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 12:26:23 am »
Thank you very much for your reply, Trent!
Comments from fellow modellers, like you, keep me going with this rather tiny layout. I appreciate it very much!!
Well, I've been running my Bachmann SD45 for awhile.
It's definitely getting better. A problem I have now is the loco stall at one particular swith/point(at medium or fast speed, its stops completely then after one second or so it will start moving again itself)
I checked all electrical contact on the switch and everything fine. Everything in gauge and no kink. In fact, all other locos run through without hitch.
The SD45 will stall only for facing moves(movement towards diverging tracks). It doesn't matter the loco's orientation ("F"end or the long hood forward)
Maybe insulated frog is the culprit (?). Then again all other loco are fine with the frog!
Only I can think is that the switch is slightly bent so SD45's stiff contacts tags are somehow losing contact.
I don't see any obvious warping of the switch though.
Any ideas what is going on???
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:43:35 am by dats475, Reason: Added more information. »

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2016, 03:56:27 pm »
Hello again!
I've been running my SD45 for awhile.
It got running better but still limping at a switch so I added thin springing plates.
Now my SD45 is OK performer!!
IMG 20160520 191004
IMG 20160520 191004
Hard to tell in the pictuer but it has a plate.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2016, 07:15:18 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a thin springing plate?

:confused2:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything