!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 'Weather' to clean your loco wheels  (Read 806 times)

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
'Weather' to clean your loco wheels
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:16:48 pm »
Aaaaargh!
You would think I'd learned the first time this happened but evidently not. Farish like to offer their wagons in pristine or weathered condition but why do they insist on assembling the whole wagon prior to weathering? Not only does the body get a nice coating of appropriate paint but so do the wheels.
A while back I was running some new weathered wagons and all was well until the otherwise reliable loco started stalling. Upon investigation the weathered wagons now had very clean and shiny wheel treads but unfortunately the paint that had worn off was now occupying the top of the rails as well as the locos wheels. Cue a lot of cursing and cleaning.
Guess what I did today with the 6 new Collectors Club weathered tankers...............
Gareth

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
Re: 'Weather' to clean your loco wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:02:34 pm »
you cleaned your track?  :confused2:
Gerard  :D

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »
The really silly thing is when you get 'half weathered' wheels - the part that was hidden behind the axleboxes is clean while the part that was exposed to the firing line of the spray gun got the full force of the weathering!!

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 11:51:20 am »
The really silly thing is when you get 'half weathered' wheels - the part that was hidden behind the axleboxes is clean while the part that was exposed to the firing line of the spray gun got the full force of the weathering!!

Yes, I agree. I tend to stay away from factory weathered stuff as I find it usually too harsh and normally only a single colour. I'd rather weather everything myself. The only exception to this which I have come across are the fabulous new Dapol weathered Westerns and 22s.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »
I think Dapol's weathering is far superior to that of Farish as it is based on a Mercig pattern and certainly agree the class 22 is a thing of beauty (I haven't got their weathered Western).
The exception to what I've stated above is their 'zebra striped' 9F ::)

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »
I've got a 9F but not a weathered one - I'm looking forward to having a go on that myself, alongside the Q1!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here