!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 4CEP EMU Power Car..Speed Variability  (Read 1661 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
Re: 4CEP EMU Power Car..Speed Variability
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 12:04:06 pm »
After more careful cleaning and reapplication of Conductalube she is now running like this:

https://youtu.be/W7aqSNrEoYk

If it stays like this I think it should be fine. I really don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with it that warrants a replacement.

Sounds like if you clean off all the gunk from the pickups completely (including that you've subsequently added) it should cure the problem. ........The problem with conductive oils is that they attract dirt like the plague, which is likely why it degraded.

Cheers,
Alan

Very good point..I would normally agree with this. However with this stuff I really have not seen this problem and I use it on my N and Z scale locos whenever I have a pickup issue. It has a very low viscosity and seems not to be very "sticky". I think what causes the effect to wear off is simply loss of the material from the contact surfaces with time and operation.

Idea: Whenever I buy a loco from Hatton's I always ask them to track test it to make sure I don't have a dud. When I received my GNER Class 91 a while back there was quite a puddle of oil in the bottom of the plastic insert..someone got a bit carried away with the oil can. No harm done..just a bit of a mess to clean up on the back side of the loco. I wonder if they, with good intentions, found it was a bit hesitant and over oiled this one too....it might be that it had to throw off all the excess oil and thus required running, cleaning, running, cleaning several times...just a thought. As we know too much oil is bad news on N scale..

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: 4CEP EMU Power Car..Speed Variability
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 12:24:30 pm »
Idea: Whenever I buy a loco from Hatton's I always ask them to track test it to make sure I don't have a dud. When I received my GNER Class 91 a while back there was quite a puddle of oil in the bottom of the plastic insert..someone got a bit carried away with the oil can. No harm done..just a bit of a mess to clean up on the back side of the loco. I wonder if they, with good intentions, found it was a bit hesitant and over oiled this one too....it might be that it had to throw off all the excess oil and thus required running, cleaning, running, cleaning several times...just a thought. As we know too much oil is bad news on N scale..

Farish did go through a short period of putting rather a lot of oil on models (some of the 159s in particular) such that this kind of thing happened. Fortunately, they must have realised someone was overdoing it and toned it down subsequently.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here