!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 13873 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2017, 05:25:48 pm »
Welcome aboard @fitzgreyve . :wave: Very nice work on the 3D print. :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2017, 07:21:08 pm »
Watch this space, I have a Gem 4/4 in my workshop. This is a 3D bodyshell from Shapeways. Just waiting for the chassis so I can start. Decals have been specially printed by AB Modell for me.

Offline fitzgreyve

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »
Watch this space, I have a Gem 4/4 in my workshop. This is a 3D bodyshell from Shapeways. Just waiting for the chassis so I can start. Decals have been specially printed by AB Modell for me.

I've just received mine ("TT Trams" on Shapeways), plus a Ge 4/4 I from the same. Just got to make my mind up on whether to use the Tomytec ED01 or TM03 chassis for the latter.

I'm just measuring up the GEm for a chassis  - any thoughts ? Also, I was wondering about how best to model the visible mid-chassis detail on this one, it's a bit complex for a first go at a  3D print.

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2017, 09:41:36 pm »
For the TT Trams Gem 4/4 chassis, I have used a Tomytec TM-21. Although it fits, the wheelbase is too long. The ploughs should be set back under the cab doors almost, but with this chassis, they are level with the cab front which affects the appearance. I am going to try a Tomytec TM-03 which has a slightly shorter wheelbase but only drives on one bogie. Again, it will be converted to Nm. I did convert the TM-21 to Nm, but it runs like a pig for some reason, the Tomytec chassis for my ABe 4/4 railcar runs like a dream! As for the space between the bogies, I have used plasticard and brass wire to simulate what is there, it is not 100% accurate but does the job in my opinion. Front end pipes are Dapol from an Ndetail1 set - N gauge diesel details.

Offline fitzgreyve

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: July 20, 2017, 01:34:08 pm »
THanks Metroman - just to check we are on the same page, I got my (TT Trams) bodies printed at 1:150, but I'm sticking with  9mm track.

I have a spare TM-03 and while it fits the Ge 4/4 I body almost perfectly, the bogie centre dimension  seems too short for the Gem  - its 40mm, and by my calculation for the Gem it should be around 53mm in 1:150  (about 7.9 m in reality?). I was about to invest in a TM21, the bogie centre  >is< too long on that one at 56 mm.

interesting point on the snow plough position, I hadn't got that far. What ploughs are you using, I was about to invest in a pack of Kato ABe spares ?

I've printed my own transfers (on the above pics) using colour lazer printer (transfer stock from crafty computer paper)- the photos really exaggerate the outline of the transfer, which in reality is not that noticeable.

I also just picked up two red Kato GE 4/4/ III bodies (no windows) very cheap on Ebay.

- Also noticed that TT trams on Shapeways has bodies for Tmf 2/2, Gmf 4/4 II, and Ge 6/6/ II - that last one will be very interesting to find a chassis for !
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:13:14 am by fitzgreyve »

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2017, 08:17:38 pm »
Hi fitzgreyve. I had mine printed in 1:150 scale as this matches the Kato stock. I tried a TM-03 under the Gem 4/4 but was too short. It is listed as a 12m chassis whilst the TM-21 is listed as a 14m chassis. No-one appears to do a 13m equivalent chassis. Therefore I will stick with the TM-21 until I can find a suitable chassis for it which can be converted to Nm. Ploughs are the spare Allegra ones available on eBay, just cut off the rear part and with mods I managed to fit it to the bogie using the Tomix sideframes with the extensions as these give somewhere to attach the ploughs to. Remember on the prototype, they are fixed to the bogies. I have ordered the Tmf 2/2 body and will try to mate it to a Kato 11-103 chassis. I have also received a TT Trams Gmf 4/4 II which I am looking for a chassis. Funnily enough, the GE 4/4 III chassis seems a close match! Anyway, my Gem 4/4 is currently in the paint shop so in the next couple of week hopefully it will be photographed and uploaded.
THanks Metroman - just to check we are on the same page, I got my (TT Trams) bodies printed at 1:150, but I'm sticking with  9mm track.

I have a spare TM-03 and while it fits the Ge 4/4 I body almost perfectly, the bogie centre dimension  seems too short for the Gem  - its 40mm, and by my calculation for the Gem it should be around 53mm in 1:150  (about 7.9 m in reality?). I was about to invest in a TM21, the bogie centre  >is< too long on that one at 56 mm.

interesting point on the snow plough position, I hadn't got that far. What ploughs are you using, I was about to invest in a pack of Kato ABe spares ?

I've printed my own transfers (on the above pics) using colour lazer printer (transfer stock from crafty computer paper)- the photos really exaggerate the outline of the transfer, which in reality is not that noticeable.

I also just picked up two red Kato GE 4/4/ III bodies (no windows) very cheap on Ebay.

- Also noticed that TT trams on Shapeways has bodies for Tmf 2/2, Gmf 4/4 II, and Ge 6/6/ II - that last one will be very interesting to find a chassis for !

Offline fitzgreyve

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
Thanks Metroman!

My latest Kato GE4/4 III just out of the paint shop (or more accurately "transfer shop"):

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2017, 09:19:09 pm »
Nice decals fitzgreyve. Here are all nine of my Kato GE 4/4 IIIs (the first time they have all been together). The plain red ones are 644 (stock Kato), 645, 646 & 652 (all renumbered with AB Modell decals). The other five are standard Kato. All detailed with AB Modell handrails and regauged to Nm (6.5mm). Micro trains Z scale couplers fitted to all. Other two photos show some catenary I have assembled. Again from AB Modell, masts are Somerfeldt N, detail parts are N-Track.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2017, 01:42:05 am »

Whoever invented 3D printing!

I have now effectively wasted many man hours starting to create things to go with the Kato (I'm still working with 9mm for simplicity BTW).

Here is just some of what I have wasted the hours on - the half converted / scratched efforts that can now go in the bin!

• aggregates hopper (I chopped up a standard N gauge Swiss 'Kies' hopper
  • Ge4/4I (scratchbuilt efforts based on Kato Re4/4I bodies and random Japanese short electric loco bodies)
  • Ge6/6II (ditto)
  • nascent Tmf 2/2 chopped up Fleischmann/ scratch body and (cut and thus now ruined for its original purpose!) Köf chassis
[li] carved up Glacier Express coach kitbash into NEVA driving trailer (although it looks as good as the 3D version
[/li][/list]

I have the Tmf on order
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2017, 01:55:11 am »
Some of the new 3D stuff:

BDt NEVA

BDt 1721 series

Ge6/6II

Hopper

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:50 am »
With the forthcoming Kato EWI, I've turned some of my Shapeways EWI into MGB

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:58:04 am by Gordon »

European railway expert

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2017, 11:50:36 am »
Hi,
for you Rhb fans there is one person (Massimo Icardi) in the ASN italian association AmiciScalaN that makes a little production about Rhb called IchModels..Nm gauge.
Association website is www.amiciscalan.it

Cheers

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:33 pm »
Heres my model of the RhB Gem 4/4 #801. TT Trams body via Shapeways, Tomix chassis TM-21 re-gauged to Nm with Kato wheelsets. Ploughs are kato Allegra spares. Underframe equipment is a mix of plasticard bits and brass wire. Micro Trains Z scale couplings. Front pipes are a mix of Dapol N gauge spares and Kato. Pantographs are Kato Allegra spares. The bogie centres on the chassis are too far apart,  the ploughs should be set further back by about 4mm either end, but no-one does a 13m chassis. The TM-21 is a 14m one and the TM-03 is a 12m one but nothing in between! Decals are a custom order for me by Michael at AB Modell.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 09:34:45 pm by Metroman64 »

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:22 pm »
Heres my model of the RhB Gem 4/4 #801

Very well done, looking good.

I'm new to Kato RhB. Just bought my first Allegra (plazajapan) plus some ABB decals from Germany.  Desperately looking for a GOT 651 shell or loco at the moment. I hope Kato will do a re-run, they are not easy to find. I know the starter packs are still available but to just get the GOT Ge4/4III 651, the shipping costs for the starter pack kills every deal out there.

Some interesting models on shapeways. What paint are you guys using for the RhB red ? Would SP Scarlet Red do the job ?

While they were still available I bought two spare Ge4/4III shells from Hobbysearch. One will become the green #647 A&M'AG one, working on the decals atm. (got the size, now I need to find the right fonts or I have to draw them)

As an old IceHockey fan back in Switzerland, "hating" the rivals HC Davos with a passion, #652 would be another 'nice to have'  ;)

cheers,
steve 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:19:39 am by retica »

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:40 pm »
My latest Kato GE4/4 III just out of the paint shop (or more accurately "transfer shop"):

Well, well, well, how cool is that ? Very nice job.

I hope you don't mind me asking, decals ? Who designed them ? Is that your own work ? Looking very good. Do you have plans to make them available for others ? I am very interested to buy a set if you do. Wow, great job !

cheers,
steve

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything