Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlstavros

As a kid I had a OO layout in my bedroom that my dad built and realised that I was never likely to have the same space when older, hence I started buying and collecting N gauge for the future. I've only recently started my layout in the loft and the baseboard is nearly done. Currently planning the track. Photos to follow!

Cheers,
Carl.

wizbit44

Space was the key ! modelling in n gauge for 35 years sometimes l wish I had not bothered ,lack of items ,dodge chassis running farish (Poole)and lack of commitment from producers now and in the past ,after the news from dapol having second thoughts at this moment  to go European or American or junk the scale and dare I say it go 00 ?  Just seems that 1970/80s era has gone stagnant or my I be getting a mid life crisis who knows

Quicknick

My reason for N gauge was based on many photo albums of my grandfather, with his O-gauge garden railways

I used to pore over these pictures, along with many old railway magazines we had in out attic.
From then I always wanted to model a large layout with scale size bridges, platforms etc, and lots of scenery, I didnt have the room to do this in O or even in OO , but discovered N gauge in the 1970's, and thought that would do.

And that's how I started.........My current layout is now based around Truro
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33894.0

Attached are a few of the pictures that inspired me in my younger years.
What I didn't realise until about a year ago was the significance of GP Keen. His O gauge models and layout are legend. My grandfather was also a fine engineer, and a keen railway modeler, and believe was a good friend of JP. Luckily my grandfather also took lots of photographs, which capture these moments for others to enjoy.

My Grandfathers O gauge garden railway in 1922, this one included the "Quebec Bridge".
The model bridge was 30ft long, whilst the original was 1800ft long. This bridge actually collapsed during construction twice in the 1900's, with tragic loss of life, before it was finally finished, and is still there today I believe.

One of his O gauge Live Steam locos, home built, a 4-6-4 Tank Engine, similar to LBSCR 'Remembrance' Class I think, I still have this loco in 'kit' form for rebuilding when I can.

Train Controller panel 1920's style, 20/25v DC Outside rail pickup was used.

Some of GP Keens collection

GP Keens epic Turntable, about 20 roads connect to it
This photo is a Christmas card sent from JP Keen, on the back it says
Happy Xmas from "The Pantry Dockyard railway" and The "K" Lines

Chris Morris

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Webbo

Quote from: Quicknick on March 25, 2017, 01:01:28 PM
My reason for N gauge was based on many photo albums of my grandfather, with his O-gauge garden railways

I used to pore over these pictures, along with many old railway magazines we had in out attic.
From then I always wanted to model a large layout with scale size bridges, platforms etc, and lots of scenery, I didnt have the room to do this in O or even in OO , but discovered N gauge in the 1970's, and thought that would do.

What a terrific set of pictures Quicknick. The 1920s control panel is particularly interesting.

Your photo and mention of the Quebec Bridge prompted me to look it up on Wikepedia. It seems that it still exists and lays claim to having the longest cantilever span of any bridge in the world (1800') which is 90' longer than the Forth bridge spans. The loss of life caused by the two collapses during its construction was 88 making it one of the most expensive bridges in terms of lives lost.

Webbo

JayM481

I lived in Quebec City for several years in the early '90s. Drove across the bridge a few times (road lanes were added later).

The photo of you grandfather's model is spectacular and would have been taken only a few years after they finally successfully built it. It was finished during WWI I believe.

Quicknick

Quote from: JayM481 on March 26, 2017, 04:01:34 AM
I lived in Quebec City for several years in the early '90s. Drove across the bridge a few times (road lanes were added later).

The photo of you grandfather's model is spectacular and would have been taken only a few years after they finally successfully built it. It was finished during WWI I believe.

I found that it actually opened in October 1917, even with all the failures. The last mishap been when they were raising the 5,100 Ton centre span of the barges in 1916, it was dropped into the water. But this was due a failed casting in the erecting equipment, not the bridge itself.
Its still a wonder of engineering....

Its taken a while to for me to fully appreciate my grandfathers models, this is only one of 4 garden layouts that i have pictures of.

My interest in JP Keen came after my local Railway club in Australia was refurbishing its library, and a pile of Model Rail Journals appeared. I read through these with great interest looking for hints for my N gauge layout. In one magazine was an article on JP Keen and the re-discovering of his layout 20 years after his death in 1973. I suddenly realised that my grandfather had pictures of the same layout & models.

violets49

(a)- Insanity. :(
(b)- a lack of space when I lived in a single room. :(
(c)- Insanity. :(
(d)- A requirement to 'keep a low profile' :worried:
(e)- Insanity. :'(

violets49

Technically, I started in 000. (TREBLE-O-LECTRIC) 'N' hadn't been invented.  :( I've still got one of my 'Baby Deltics' but you can't get the rubber bands these days! ;D Also theres a wheelset missing!  :( The locos cost something like 42/- (£2-10p) Happy days. For some reason I associate that time with the Beatles 'Penny Lane' Appropriate as until recently, most of my 'disposable income' (Housekeeping money) went to an address about  fifty yards from the Penny Lane bus terminal. SPOOKY!

railsquid

Quote from: violets49 on April 11, 2017, 11:32:37 PM
Technically, I started in 000. (TREBLE-O-LECTRIC) 'N' hadn't been invented.  :( I've still got one of my 'Baby Deltics' but you can't get the rubber bands these days! ;D Also theres a wheelset missing!  :( The locos cost something like 42/- (£2-10p) Happy days.
If you google about a bit there seems to be a small Lone Star scene dedicated to keeping these things running, with advice on replacement bands. The link I have bookmarked is this one: http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html , there may be other sources.

I acquired a Lone Star Class 24 (as it wasn't known then) out of curiosity, incredibly it runs (despite being a decade or so older than myself) but the wheel treads are too wide for modern pointwork.

Webbo

RS, that's a fascinating website about Lone Star that you've pointed us to.

Webbo

Bealman

Just took a look. Fascinating!

Thanks for the link, Squiddy!   :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

violets49

The wheels were incredibly crude (But not as bad as the Lima 'N'scale wheels that came later) but the were 'crude but effective' They were my introduction to 'REAL' railway modelling. The odd thing was I bought my first Treble-O Lectric set in 1966 from Jimmy Glassfords model shop in Cambridge street with my first salary payment (I worked nearby) And I used to buy things on a regular basis. I was alwas asking if there were plans to introduce new models and I was asured that there were new items in the pipeline. I have recently discovered that in fact Treble-O-Lectric ceased production in 1964!  >:(
I DID try to find spares for my last remaining loco about ten years ago but the prices being asked meant that a wheelset (One axle) would have cost several times more than the original cost of the locomotive. I'm afraid my 'Baby deltic' will remain a 'museum piece'  :(

Newportnobby

Quote from: violets49 on April 12, 2017, 12:17:52 PM
I'm afraid my 'Baby deltic' will remain a 'museum piece'  :(

There's a new one in the pipeline from D.J.Models but probably won't be here until next year.

ntpntpntp

@violets49  there are often quite a few old Lone Star items on eBay, including Treble-O-Lectric spares.  I've also seen sellers offering suitable modern replacements for the drive bands.

I think I may have a pair of wheels for one of these in my bits box.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations