Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkeNd

Because OO looks daft going anywhere other than in straight lines with curved track visible on both sides of a coach at the same time. N is more natural in a domestic environment.

Agrippa

In the end  it  depends on how much space you  have.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Pengi

Quote from: ParkeNd on October 19, 2013, 11:22:49 PM
Because OO looks daft going anywhere other than in straight lines with curved track visible on both sides of a coach at the same time. N is more natural in a domestic environment.
Very true and the reason I changed to N.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

BigT

For the same reason as everyone else - space. I would struggle to fit a OO layout in my house

rhysapthomas

Like most people here the size was the deciding factor not enough space for a larger scale layout actually not enough space for the N gauge layout I would like!

But also is there not a fascination for small beautifully made things generally

anaes20

For me, my love of N scale came about from a family holiday to the USA back in 1986.  Whenever we went to any toystores I would invariably end up looking at the model trains, both HO and N scale and noted how attractive the N scale trains looked, so neat!  The final push came during that holiday while visiting friends in Philadelphia.  There we went to a large toyshop one evening and I was torn between an N scale starter set and an HO one - the N scale set by Life Like featured an 0-6-0 tank, 2 boxcars, a caboose, track, power pack and several detail elements such as a church, a house, trees and road signs.  After deliberating a bit I decided to get the N scale set as the shop was about to close for the night!  I was pleased with my purchase, which set me back US$20 (a princely sum in '86 especially as I lived in the Caribbean at the time) and proudly took it back home and set it up (I got additional track a bit later on).  I was truly hooked after that.  Life Like in fact still do this sort of set today!

I went on to get a Bachmann set from my father for Christmas 2 years later, featuring an F9 diesel electric, then the following year bought more cars (wagons) and scenery elements on another trip to the USA.  I eventually built layouts in 1991 and 1992 - relatively crude they were but enjoyable given that model rail equipment was (and still is) not readily available in the Caribbean.  I stuck with N scale ever since and have taken on UK N scale (gauge) after moving here.  Apart from the old 0-6-0 engine which broke and was replaced twice (the replacements broke too), I still have everything else.  Since 2010 I have again swung towards North American railroads with some newer equipment - and hence my varied interests in N scale and gauge.

Anaes20.

wikingfan

Same reason as everyone else - space.
I have been around model railways my whole life as my dad introduced it to me. I had layouts as a child (HO - American).

As I got older I got away from the hobby but trips to Germany as an adult got me back into railroading - German railways. I started collecting Marklin wagons & locos, then I wanted to run them around a layout but of course the space I had didn't make much of a layout. So I tore down the marklin layout and explored z scale but that was to small and the product lines limited.

N Gauge for me is the perfect balance. Small size but big on detail.

Quote from: rhysapthomas on October 20, 2013, 11:09:28 AM

But also is there not a fascination for small beautifully made things generally

rhysapthomas I agree completely

steve836

I started with O gauge Hornby then to OO three rail, OO two rail (which is still my favourite as so much is available in RTR , kits and parts for scratch built ) then because of space limitations went to N. When we moved house 2 years ago I had the chance to rethink as the garage could be attached to the house and gave me 18ft X 8ft to play with so I thunk and decided that what I really liked was to watch scale length trains roll by. I am, however, very dissapointed with the performance of N gauge locos from Farish and Dapol. My 8f only manages to haul about 30 wagons, so my coal trains need a 7f from Union Mills as it doesn't look right for a 4f to handle 50+ mineral trains and 8f on pick up! When Oh when will Dapol & Farish learn!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Komata

Why did I choose N?

An interesting question, with, for me, a somewhat involved answer

As with many others in our scale, due to space problems my original intention was to model in N.  However, such was my ignorance of the scale (and the fact that there was both British and US variants of it) my first two locomotives (although ostensibly 'N'- which is how they were 'marketed') were actually .009!!

Not appreciating the subtelties involved, it took a long time (years, in fact)  to realise that .009 and 'N' were not exactly the same.  Disillusioned  by the discovery I then tried HOn30 and TTn3.5, with very unsatisfactory (and expensive) results.  After a 'think' was had and a 'stock-take' undertaken, I discovered that I still had some N-equipment on hand.  At that point, I then 'settled' on the scale as being the one to which I was committed (although, typically) even THAT wasn't initially an easy journey...

Of course, had I known later, what  I didn't know at the start, things would have been sooo much easier.  I believe it's called 'Experience'.

Thanks for asking.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

ParkeNd

My choice of N Gauge was reinforced when I put the free Hornby mag DVD in the Mac last month.

Just watch those OO steamer front pony bogies flick out 45 degrees when entering a bend or a turnout. Even if it is chuffing as it goes it's a real turn-off.

stevieboy

I can't remember if I've already answered this, but my choice was made because of the following numbers:

Two bed-semi + Class 60 + 27 SPA's + 13 BAA's

Try that in OO without resorting to the loft/shed/garage!!

But seriously, my only wondering is, if space was no object, and ignoring 12" = 1ft scale (within reason) what gauge would you model? (Put's on tin hat) for me, it would probably be OO, not because N is lacking in quality or anything else like that, but for the wider range of models.  I'm hoping that Bachmann keep pushing the Farish range so that I can retract that horrendous statement in a few years time!  If it were to mirror their OO range in 5 years time, i'd be more than happy.

:ban: :NGaugersRule:

RussellH

Hi Guys

Started in OO in the very early years and just found it too big and clumsy (still do the odd repair for a mate and I find its still too big for me). At age 11 I spotted a trix warship and 3 blue grey coaches in a set. At that point I had never seen N gauge before and was really lucky to get that for xmas. Perfect size - never looked back and still have the set although no longer boxed - still runs beautifully 36 years later.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Chris in Prague

Quote from: RussellH on December 18, 2013, 11:28:04 AM
Hi Guys

Started in OO in the very early years and just found it too big and clumsy (still do the odd repair for a mate and I find its still too big for me). At age 11 I spotted a trix warship and 3 blue grey coaches in a set. At that point I had never seen N gauge before and was really lucky to get that for xmas. Perfect size - never looked back and still have the set although no longer boxed - still runs beautifully 36 years later.

Regards
Russ

Ah, yes! The Minitrix blue Class 42 and Minitrix Blue & Grey Mark 1 carriages, I had those, too, as well as Lima carriages and Minitrix plus Peco wagons. I'm delighted to read that your Minitrix rolling stock is still running after all those years. I have bought a selection of Minitrix carriages, recently, after returning to the hobby after a 30 years' break. Although I have Graham Farish Class 42's, I'm still tempted to buy a Minitrix blue one as a replacement for the one which I once had. German engineering at its best! (I had a Minitrix Blue Class 27, too.)

talisman56

Started back in Christmas 1971 when I was 15, with a Lima train set containing a Class 86 and a couple of Mark 1 coaches. A small layout followed, and eventually a bit more stock, including Minitrix 9F, 2MT 2-6-0 and 2-6-2T, Grafar 0-6-0PT steam locos, more Mark 1s and lots of Peco wagons.

At some point the Lima stuff was traded in, probably for some streamline trackwork for a larger, more permanent layout in the spare room when I finally 'flew the nest' to my own abode. The usual situation then ensued, girlfriend, marriage and then family and the layout was dismantled and the stock boxed up and put into storage.

About 15 months ago, my body decided to tell me it wouldn't take any more winters on the draughty terraces supporting my local non-league football team and the loft needed clearing out so that we could have cavity wall insulation and replacement loft lining installed. The stored box of rolling stock, along with a big bag full of used trackwork was discovered and put aside for future investigation.

Negotiations with the domestic authorities granted access to the dining table when it wasn't being used for its official purpose and a 60" x 39" baseboard knocked up from three sections of the original layout baseboards unearthed from the depths of the garage. The stock box was sorted out and all the stock which did not meet the criteria for the new modelling era (BR(SR) 60s) put aside for trade-in. This included a large quantity of Peco PO wagons, old Minitrix maroon Mark 1s and a couple of Farish ex-LMR locos.

The major disadvantage of a solid large baseboard quickly became apparent when a minor accident while removing it from the dining room to the garage for storage wiped out a large swathe of recently-laid track and it looked like I was back to square 1.

The (happy) coincidence of a requirement for a major clear-out in the garage and an ex-member of the MRC I had joined wanting to dispose of his 'N' gauge portable layout resulted in the current situation of a layout in the garage and domestic harmony in the house, although the dining table is the modelling workbench, suitably protected, of course. The layout board was cut down to a size able to take a circuit of Setrack with a couple of loops, this is now my test track.

Coming soon: Layout thread for "Dunestone" (the layout); and "talisman's Workbench" thread covering the completion of the unfinished kits I found in the attic stock box, and subsequent purchases.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bristolmar

In 1973 my mother moved my bro and myself to her native Switzerland. Flurlingen, about 3k up from Der Rheinfall, Neuhausen. As kids we spent every summer in Buesingen am Hochrhein, other side of the river, a german enclave (allegedly) and Schaffhausen, the prettiest town in the world.

Took my Hornby HO layout with me-Sir Winston Churchill loco.

Spent half my time in the local shops DROOLING over all the Fleischmann N Gauge displays

SIMPLES  (funny noise)

Martin

Beer calls...........................must run

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations