Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisiilc

I found the n models very cute, compared to the HO models  , there is a growing choice of models , and of course the possibility to model a pretty  landscape in little room  ...

Nik96

I chose N gauge as I bought a Duchess Of Hamilton ( the original farish model) to add to a collection formed in part by my grandfather. I continued adding to it and saw the N gauge version available. Once one had been obtained I couldn't bear to see it left in the box just being looked at every now and then. So I'm building a layout or two for it to run on.Hoping to blend the two layouts to form one in the long run.
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

LNER1949

It all started with Lone Star OOO back in the early 60s ! Limited chose,s then, till the Peco Locomotives, followed by Arnold, then the Graham Farrish tank engine, N Gauge society kits, now there is more than what you need for a good layout and a lot more scope. I see that a lot have said for lack of space, my reason is not so much as space, is that you can have a more realistic scale distance, ie, 13ft is about 3/4 scale mile, if you had OO you would need a room off 26ft ! + !!
Still working on my 13ft LNER layout, at least the electrics are working plus a motorise working crossing gates and signals. Most of the scenery is done, just the tidily finishing off to do, ie, post and wire fencing, trees and shrubs ect.
When done will post some photos one day a few had appeared in the exallent N Gauge magazine.

johnlambert

Quote from: Benchy on January 15, 2016, 11:23:09 PM
Space, yet funnily enough I find n gauge models more detailed then their 00 counterparts. Hornby seems to be made all out of plastic!

I've heard other people say that they find larger scale models often look more toy-like than N gauge trains.  I suppose on an OO or O-gauge model it is more apparent if details are missing.

LNER1949

I think that the bigger the scale the more accurate you have to be with your modelling no margin for errors, where as you just might be able to get away with it in N scale. Though the trains themselves need to be as near to the real thing or they would look out of place and a tad messy I think, though I have not yet built any kit's or painted any as yet. Buildings yes.

dualgauge

I went to buy HO. Did not have the money for HO, so bought a Bachmann N Scale set. Have always had N Scale after that. Do have a few HO cars and locomotives from belonged to an HO club. Now just belong to N Scale club.

Unclealbo

Initially I went for N because of space limitations (confined to the shed).  However now that I'm well into it,  I agree with one of the earlier comments that N seems more 'real' and less toy like.  At various exhibitions I have looked particularly at O gauge and whilst they have levels of detail we can only aspire to, they definitely look toy like.  The only down side of course is the need for eye magnification and fingers that occasionally feel like sausages.
Allan

LNER1949

Don't worry about fat working fingers which I have, after and still shoeing and blacksmithing for 46 years ! So N gauge modelling started 10 years earlier !
Just that my eyes are not quite as good as they used to be, though not ready for bifocals so keep misplacing the right pare to ware !

47 years N

I too remember lone star ooo. I recall carving a cutting in the grass up the back garden for Casey Jones to run on. Unpopular with Mum!
First electric N scale locomotive was a Lima brown Italian electric bo bo which I eventually painted blue with yellow ends.
Over the years I have dabbled with Ho and N most recently with a garage sized HO layout. NOPE!  There is something about the size of N scale that feels right to me. Crazy I know given the choice you would think that the bigger scale would win out. Turned the garage into a sewing room and now have a layout on an Ikea 200cm x 60cm tabletop. A big factor for going back to N scale is Farish's MK1 what an improvement. Personally I would like better running quality over smaller radii.  I think that I will be N for the rest of my life.
I don't like roundy roundys. Took me just 50 years to realise 🙄

LNER1949

I've too much stock to change to another scale anyway, if the Mk ll coaches are too big go for the old 4 wheeler coaches as they would go round a sharper radius bend, if that helps.

47 years N

I used to model continental N. They know how to compromise between good looks and excellent tracking on small radii. Admittedly some of their designs are looking a little toylike now but were miles better when our UK N was a joke. If only Fleischmann made UK N scale.

railsquid

Quote from: GreatBigBlue on April 30, 2016, 09:57:23 PM
I too remember lone star ooo. I recall carving a cutting in the grass up the back garden for Casey Jones to run on. Unpopular with Mum!
You had a model burger bar? ;)

47 years N

I refer to Casey Jones "steamin an a rollin" who was on the TV at the time. A man who stopped his train by engaging reverse at full throttle :laugh3:

Webbo

Great stuff NPN. I loved this show when I was a kid.

Webbo

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations