!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986  (Read 13206 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2017, 09:04:50 am »
Great scenery and sound effects - I thought I caught a glimpse of some bunkers, your golf course look fab, really well done :)

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2017, 09:44:50 am »
Lovely. May I ask, what material have you used for your fence posts? I've just ordered some 1mm brass rod, but I'm not sure it will look right.
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline Mr PJ

• N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the nice comments. The fence-posts are matchsticks cut in half and then cut length wise twice into quarters, so they are just over 1mm square. Sometimes the matchsticks can be difficult to cut, as they can split, but I think they look okay painted light grey, which is how most of the fence-posts quickly end up looking in this part of the world!

I believe you can get a set of golfing figures (from Preiser perhaps?). One thing I forgot to include is the Club House for the golf club, so I have re-done the scenery South of the River Tilt to make a suitable flat area for it. I'm also going to re-do the road over-bridge as I wasn't totally happy with it.

I've been busy blending the loco shed into its surroundings, and making it look suitably run down. It needs a fork-lift truck or similar to complete the look.

A view of the goods yard, the Class 26 will need a brake van on the back if its hauls those air-braked engineers wagons!

Finally a view down the Street approaching the Level Crossing. A few bits need finishing on the various buildings, plus I need to make a start on the watermill. Part of the Atholl Arms Hotel will be represented on the other side of the line, there simply isn't room to model it in completeness.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »
loco shed surroundings look terrific, will need to be a well rusted, forgotten about forklift to fit in :) - great modelling

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »
When did you learn to time travel a month forward and was it difficult, please? ;)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2017, 10:35:37 pm »
Shame about the space for the hotel, but I look forward to seeing the model on the layout!   :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:02 pm »
Really excellent scenic modelling only marred by the damaged sky backscene in one photo. 8-(

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2017, 10:39:51 pm »
Good evening,

A quick update of latest developments. Seems like a long time since my last posting, but due to work and other hobbies and commitments its always seems like slow progress. Some might say its a lack of commitment to modelling :D. Still, looking back at the last postings it seems like a fair amount has been done, but still more jobs to do. At least its getting to look like it will be complete by the end of the year, if there ever is such a thing as "complete" for a model.

One of the things I am currently undertaking is the construction of plywood facings for the layout front, painted earth brown, which seems to set the layout off nicely and hide ugly scenic building blocks.

The mill is under construction, in fact nearly there apart from windows and other details. A hole has been cut in the baseboard for where the water wheel is located.

I've started adding some signals to the layouts and the backscenes are being replaced with commercially available ones. Obviously not pictures of the actual area, but they do seem to be quite evocative off this area of Scotland which is not mountainous as such.

I have used double sided sticky tape to fix the backscenes. Its pretty effective, but one curved section (which needs to be removable to clean the track behind) I started sticking the paper backscene in place to find its at a slight angle, and impossible to subsequently rectify! I will re-do this section in time, but its a pain as I have to pay out for all 8 feet again - ouch!

Hopefully some more updates in the near future. In the meanwhile I will be having some fun running trains and doing the occasional bit of modelling.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2017, 11:38:07 pm »
Looking fantastic.  Thanks for the update!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2017, 06:28:47 am »
The scenery is looking really good!
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2017, 08:06:34 am »
Great modelling!

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:28 am »
Great update - lots of great modelling again, the backscenes look good, think I have the same ones and agree they do look good for Perthshire

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2017, 12:17:52 pm »
Great modelling!
Seconded! Well worth waiting for these photos. Looking very good indeed.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »
To me, what makes your layout come alive is the sheer volume and variation of the 'greenery'.
Rest assured your efforts in that area have given great results.

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:47 pm »
Hello,
Thanks for the positive comments - it's my first large scale layout in over two decades, so I would (rather smugly perhaps) like to think I have at last got things right, albeit not perfect  - but after all we should aspire to perfection, but accept we can't ever get there!
I've tried to keep the visible side of the layout fairly simple track-layout wise, which makes things a little simpler. So really, a "watch the trains go by" layout to some extent. And slower running is always good!
What is really useful is looking at the forum and picking up ideas and advice from others, so thanks to all on here for their advice. And long live N gauge and the forum...
Cheers,
Paul

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here