!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986  (Read 14897 times)

Offline Mr PJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25884
  • 148: 1 and 1:1 classic 80's diesels...
    • Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 11:08:28 pm »
Evening all,

A bit more hard graft this evening laying a bit more track on the first three sections, and while the weather was nice started the fourth (station) section which will be positioned on the diagonal in front of the Inverness end storage/reversing loops.

At the weekend the main job was to fix some simple wooden brackets to the wall to support the layout along with some timber legs. A spirit level is essential for this work, especially on a carpeted floor where its difficult to calculate the exact length of the legs (as they tend to sink into the pile quite a bit).

I have "cheated" a bit with the electrics by using the Peco pre-soldered fishplates, but it saves a lot of time. Just need to drill holes for the wires at some point now.
Been doing a bit of testing with the 37 and rake of coaches, all seems to work well so far, and will be useful to see how a long-ish rake looks on the scenic section.

Storage/Reversing loops.
Storage/Reversing loops.

Just a couple of sidings to add in to the storage yard now for spare loco's etc. The outside loop will accommodate two 12 coach passenger trains. I will be using Dapol magnetic couplers on the loco's and end of the rakes of stock, and on the straighter sections will have some uncoupling magnets in case I want to swap loco's.

One thing to note is that the run to and from the storage sidings is quite lengthy, in fact its about a 14 foot run, but time to gather some speed I suppose!

SAM 1504
SAM 1504
Station baseboard frame
Station baseboard frame

The station section is a maximum of 160cm (5ft 3") which should be just enough to make the northbound platform 9 coach lengths and give room for my P. Way yard.

Hopefully will be able to play trains - I mean begin to test trains out - on a bit more of the layout soon!

Cheers,
Paul

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:53 pm »
Thanks for the update, Paul, although I can't help thinking it's going to take an almighty helix to get from the fiddle yard to the ground floor board :worried:

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 11:22:24 pm »
 :laugh3:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:13 am »
Thanks for the update, Paul, although I can't help thinking it's going to take an almighty helix to get from the fiddle yard to the ground floor board :worried:

That would be nothing for Maurits :D

Paul

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:40 am »
Looking good! Don't worry about NPN.... he's a helix short in his DNA methinks  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 11:45:32 pm »
Lucky my nephew didn't design the layout, as he would have had the tracks do a loop-the-loop followed by a near vertical drop to the floor and then over a jump - like his scaletrix set!

Anyway, I have installed some drivers in my loco's, so don't think I will install any spirals or helixes as they may complain to ASLEF about becoming dizzy....

Cheers,
Paul

Offline jenn6539

• My layout - Georgemas Junction 1970s
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 07:53:27 pm »
Looking good so far, watching with interest

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 10:19:56 pm »
Good evening,

A quick update on my construction progress.

I had a couple of days in Scotland the other week, in order to take some photo's of the real station and surrounding area to help plan my scenery and buildings. I had a nice trip on the sleeper train going north, the first time I have travelled behind a Class 92, though did stay up sampling a couple of malts that I had not tried before.
Although I stayed in Perth I spent some time in the Blair Atholl hotel for some food in the bothy bar and a couple of real ales from the local Moulin brewery, a very nice place, and worthy of a return visit one day. Not much excitement in the way of trains passing through nowadays, though I did see the Oxwellmains cement pass through (with 3 ferry-wagons at the front) which still had the old PCA "vee" tanks in its formation - I have quite a few of those for my model based 30 or so years earlier.

On the model I am currently wiring in tortoise point motors to make a signal panel. The LEDs are simply wired directly in series with the motors. They may be expensive, but it saves a lot of wiring work and the use of capacitor discharge units and switches under the points. Also no huge holes underneath the points!

A couple of photos, with the new station base-board in place (just to stop Newport Nobby wondering how the track was supposed to get down to floor level :laugh3: )I am currently also constructing the River Tilt base-board at the moment too.

SAM 1639
SAM 1639

I still need to do a bit of work with the signal panel, and re-solder some of the connections on the toggle switches etc, as its still not totally reliable at the moment. Electrics always have been my week point.
This will be the first of 3 panels, and controls the Inverness end storage yard. There will be a larger one in the middle for the station itself, and all parts of the scenic section of the layout will be within view.

SAM 1640
SAM 1640

A view of the northern approach to the staton - sorry its a bit of a mess at the moment! All that wiring will be tideied up though. I am adding in river beds using 6mm ply, though the Banvie Burn which you can see is bridged by the railway here needs a little diversion to the right as it flows at about 45 degrees to the railway here rather than at a right angle.
To fit the "L" shaped space I have available I have also had to compromise a bit  by having a curve to the left, in reality the track is pretty much straight here. Its not too bad as I have kept the curveit down to about 40 degrees or so.

Cheers
Paul

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 10:44:07 pm »
Aha! All is clear to Nobby now :thumbsup: :D

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 12:09:37 am »
Now that is coming along nicely.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:42 am »
It is coming along well!
I do like to see a layout emerge from the bare bones :)

There are still quite a lot of the "Vee Tank" PCAs about, well at least if the odd trip to Earles Sidings tells me anything :)

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 12:26:33 am »
There are still quite a lot of the "Vee Tank" PCAs about, well at least if the odd trip to Earles Sidings tells me anything :)

Don't know if it's the same train but I see a cement train most mornings on the Midland Mainline that is a mixture of standard PCAs and Vee Tanks :)

Paul

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 02:07:09 pm »
Hello,
I think the vee cement tanks have been about for years, maybe the first batch was built about 1970 or so. Its useful to see the real ones about as it gives an idea of how to weather them. I've seen quite a few pictures of block trains of these on the Highland line, with quite a diverse range of power hauling them from Type 2's to 47's.

Anyway digressing a bit...

Attached is a video of a couple of 26's running round the layout as it is currently. Hopefully will give you an idea of how the layout is intended to operate. I am hoping to do a bit more work this afternoon, although I've realised I can't really put the final scenic section in place as I still need to put a curtain rail up at some point, and this will be right in front of the window!

The loco's are sound fitted, although the sound recording was a bit echo-ey in the room. Bear in mind sound will be faded out when the loco's go "off-stage" once the backscenes etc are completed

http://youtu.be/KD6i99oQHrU

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »
 :claphappy: That is smashing Mr PJ.
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Offline Mr PJ

• Awards
Re: Blair Atholl, 1980-1986 (and question about building above radiators)
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
Hello,

Just a quick update on progress (or lack of!). Hopefully I will get the chance to take some photos and post them at the weekend, that's in between painting the kitchen ceiling, tiling, putting up a new gate in the garden.... all those sort of jobs that need to be done before winter sets in, and hopefully I can get on with some modelling.

I had a look at layout the other night at the "River Tilt" baseboard and decided this end of the layout (just south off the station) is too cramped. So this baseboard is going to be completely revised, taking out the Tilt Bridge from here and using 75cm radius curve which will result in the bridge being at a 90 degree angle to the station. Not ideal, but will give me more chance to recreate the golf course which is South of the River Tilt. Anyway some photos to follow in a few days to prevent Newport Nobby becoming confused...

The only issue about this is that the River Tilt will now be above a radiator, probably only about 7cm from the top of the radiator to the actual baseboard.  I am not sure if this could cause warping to the wood, but I am not planning to stable any locos or stock in this area. Perhaps some reflective material might help, does anyone have any experience of such constructions?
Cheers
Paul

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here