First car

Started by dannyboy, April 21, 2015, 03:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Webbo

Quote from: Chetcombe on July 02, 2017, 07:48:33 AM
I moved to the US in 1995 when gas was $0.89/gallon, so I am appalled at paying $2.99/gallon today!!!

Mike, even so the US still has pretty cheap petrol. Here in Oz we pay about $1.30/L. In USD this is about $1/L and so we would be paying about $3.80/US gallon. Our government like to load up the petrol cost with tax, but I gather the stuff is even more expensive in Europe.

My first car was an NSU Sport Prinz which 'boasted' a two cylinder 600 cc engine 30 bhp and a weight of 535 kg so compared to this a mini was large. A dangerous piece of garbage that I only owned for 4 months. I would much rather have owned JayM481's Ford Galaxie as a starter.

Most of the subsequent cars I've owned would be models that are unfamiliar to those in the UK and Europe. They have included Plymouth Valiants (2-door hard top and 4 door sedan), 2L Ford Capri, HD Holden station wagon, Volkswagen Scirocco, Mazda 1800, Toyota Tercel, Telstar (really a Mazda 626), and a Mitsubishi Magna which is my present car that I've owned for the last 20 years and is now beyond 300,000 km and still running strong. 

My favourite car is the Scirocco (1976) coloured metallic blue with modified suspension and engine, but my best car is the Magna which like my dear fairly recently departed lab cross (Kyla the dog) has been totally reliable and faithful and not fancy in the slightest. The Holden (1965) which is a GM Australian car took me and others right round Australia, burned lots of oil on the way, had marginal steering and brakes, but got us there.

Webbo 

moogle

Mine was a fairly knackered Mercedes 190e. It was a J reg in silver/blue and had been nearly round the clock twice when I got it. Was a joy to drive and I'll probably get another one some day...
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations