A point of English??

Started by Newportnobby, April 13, 2015, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I'm still very concerned about Squiddy's ninjas having a go at a certain part of my body :worried:

Tdm

In viewof the many "incomprehensible" replies to this thread, I think I will have another go at learning "Spanish" - seems a more straightforward and simpler language.

Just wonder where Spanish has it's roots as it seems similar in certain respects to Latin which I was supposed to learn at Grammar School - but didn't.

As regards English - I will stick to Lancashire English as I understand that - and I did pass my English Language & English Literature "O" level exams at school before I left to start work in a Bank - but that is another story.

I am slightly dyslexic, but take some pride in my writing and hope that most people understand (comprehend) what I am trying to say. However whenever I type something on my PC I have always to "Preview" it, as it usually appears on screen as something entirely different to what I thought I had written and I then have to correct it.

I think my computer keyboard has a mind of it's own!

Komata

Tdm

You are to a degree correct about the origins of the Spanish language in regards to Latin.  Its evolution is somewhat complicated, but for a very quick  precis concerning its origins , might I suggest that,  although I dislike Wiki as an authoritative information source,you undertake a 'Google' search under the heading 'Spanish language - Wikipedia'. as I believe it will provide you with at least some of the 'background' information that you are enquiring about.

Hoping that it helps, que tenga un buen día.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

keithfre

Quote from: Tdm on April 16, 2015, 11:19:42 PM
Just wonder where Spanish has it's roots as it seems similar in certain respects to Latin which I was supposed to learn at Grammar School - but didn't.
All the Romance languages - French, Italian, Spanish etc. - developed from Vulgar (spoken) Latin, by a process of 'mistakes' being gradually accepted and codified. There's an old glossary of Latin misspellings which shows how pronunciation (and hence spelling) was changing in France in the 3rd-4th century A.D.:
http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Latin_Vulgar/Vocabulary/Appendix_Probi.html

calida non calda: i.e. calida is correct, calda (Italian calda, French chaud = hot, cf. English scald) is wrong.

The same process took place in the other Romance languages.

Newportnobby

So that's why my Romance language chat up lines never worked! :doh:

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: newportnobby on April 17, 2015, 02:22:58 PM
So that's why my Romance language chat up lines never worked! :doh:

What as in " Getta youra coata on,  you asa beena pulled !   :P

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

fisherman

Romani Eunt  Domus !!!!!!
<o({{{<<

keithfre

Quote from: railsquid on April 16, 2015, 01:32:10 AM
I thought "gaol" was an archaic word meaning "jail" but pronounced "gawul" or something.
I notice lots of 'spelling pronunciations' creeping in on Radio 4. 'Gambol' (lambs in the fields), pronounced phonetically with two clear syllables, which always used to be homophonic with 'gamble'. And is there anyone left who can pronounce genealogy correctly?

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: fisherman on April 17, 2015, 04:50:20 PM

Romans they go in the house ?      You are in big trouble now Brian...
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Jon898

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on April 17, 2015, 05:25:51 PM
Quote from: fisherman on April 17, 2015, 04:50:20 PM

Romans they go in the house ?      You are in big trouble now Brian...

So now we're into Latin graffiti with dubious grammar (dative, schmative)?  Where's that new member Nigel Molesworth when you need him?

Newportnobby

Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed off all the Romans
And now it's killing me

:P

Meanwhile - back to the thread topic maybe.................. ::)

DELETED

Apart from the usual "brought" rather than "bought" etc etc. and despite spell checks being everywhere we never seem to use them, the one for me now is...

"that looks well"

...well ...what?  Good, bad, well done,  :poop: or otherwise???  It's not a finished sentence!

I only speak one language apart from "ich habe meine hausaufgaben vergessen" which I am thoroughly ashamed of  :doh:  Every foreigner I meet has a better grasp of English grammar than I have.  But I do so hate text speak and slack english on home grounds.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RST on April 20, 2015, 11:39:28 PM"ich habe meine hausaufgaben vergessen" which I am thoroughly ashamed of  :doh:

errr I think you may need to explain that one ! You see the trouble we English have is not knowing which other language to learn (apart from americain !), so if you could just get all those furrainers to agree on a common one then we'll learn it !

Quoteslack english on home grounds.

errr, that'd be coffee ?  Home is singular !

mahatmacoat >>> whoosh >

railsquid

Quote from: RST on April 20, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
Apart from the usual "brought" rather than "bought" etc etc. and despite spell checks being everywhere we never seem to use them, the one for me now is...

"that looks well"

...well ...what?  Good, bad, well done,  :poop: or otherwise???  It's not a finished sentence!grammar than I have.  But I do so hate text speak and slack english on home grounds.

"that looks well wicked"?

Quote from: RST on April 20, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
I only speak one language apart from "ich habe meine hausaufgaben vergessen" which I am thoroughly ashamed of  :doh:  Every foreigner I meet has a better grasp of English grammar than I have.  But I do so hate text speak and slack english on home grounds.

Tssssk tssssk, Nouns are capitalized in German. "Ich habe meine Hausaufgaben vergessen".

If it's any consolation, German is getting increasingly polluted by "Denglisch", which is often cringeworthy, especially when wielded by someone with an at most borderline grasp of the original meaning. "Handy" (pronounced "Haendy") meaning "mobile (telephone)" is one of my pet hates.

DELETED

Quote from: scotsoft on April 13, 2015, 02:58:31 PM
Guess what the sign writer was supposed to paint???  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

[smg id=23990 type=preview align=center caption="oops 01"]

[smg id=23991 type=full align=center caption="oops 02"]

cheers John.

Reminds me a little of Canadian Bacon...

Follow The Rules

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations