!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Foster Street - LMS period layout - (available for exhibition)  (Read 120647 times)

Offline PennineWagons

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Foster Street - LMS period layout - (available for exhibition)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:13 am »
Splendid photos. And splendid layout.
Is there a trainload of elephants in one picture or am I imagining it?
 :goggleeyes:
PW

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:01 am »
Wow. What professional looking layout. Great stuff and congrats on your first exhibit
Bart

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 03:31:34 am »
Yeah..... what's with the elephants?  :confused2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:06 am »
As a big fan of northern red brick and urban grime, I'd like to add my appreciation of your work to those of other N Gauge Forumistas.  And yes, some pictures of how you set about painting the backscene would be much appreciated.
Kevin

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 06:57:21 am »
Splendid photos. And splendid layout.
Is there a trainload of elephants in one picture or am I imagining it?
 :goggleeyes:
PW

No the elephants are there, I think I have a small infestation

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 07:06:11 am »
Yeah..... what's with the elephants?  :confused2:

One of the local Butchers on Forster Street makes his famous "Jumbo Sausages" so what else can they be for? :D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:25:40 am by paulprice »

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 07:09:21 am »
As a big fan of northern red brick and urban grime, I'd like to add my appreciation of your work to those of other N Gauge Forumistas.  And yes, some pictures of how you set about painting the backscene would be much appreciated.
Kevin

Kevin

Its a simple process, it must be its how I do things, when I get home from work this evening I will see if I can knock something together that may help?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:25:13 am by paulprice »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 09:28:40 am »
A cracking layout Paul, so pleased you persevered with posting pictures.   :thumbsup:

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:06 am »
Yes you have guess it, I was in the loft, and managed to fall through the open hatch, into the bedroom below, now our house has eleven foot ceilings and falling from this height could be really serious or even fatal. This is where my inherent luck came to rescue and my fall was broken by the layout, the was one hell of a bang and then the world went black.

So after recovering my consciousness, and surveying the damage I decided that a smaller, perhaps portable layout that I could move to safety would be the order of the day, and so Foster Street was born.

Have you considered the possibility that a "smaller, perhaps portable layout" might not break your fall next time...?

Seriously, it's sounds as if you had a lucky escape. And I agree with everybody else - that's a great looking layout!

:greatwork: :superblayout:

Cheers,

Chris
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:57 am »
Wot Caz said.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
Brilliant looking layout! Nice to see a big 4 layout, especially an LMS one.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 10:38:55 am »
Great pics of a smashing layout, Paul :claphappy:
I have to admit the trainload of pachyderms is a talking point and, yeah, Jumbo sausages works for me :D

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
Talk Strine (Australian) mate. Pachyderma. Get real.  :D

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 12:37:25 pm »
Wow, that is excellent!
Can't see from the angle of the photo, but I hope all the elephants are fitted with goggles to protect their eyes from the wind, soot and cinders  :smiley-laughing:

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »
Well, tonight I intended to using my limited modelling time to work on a couple of the signals for Foster Street, and to try and work on one of the many locomotive conversions/builds I have on the go at the moment, but I cant seem to concentrate.

So as promised or should that be threatened  :P I thought I would give a little detail, as requested by Kevin and his kind comments on how I create my backscenes. I use a very simple method to create my backscene's and I know there are many better ways of doing it buy many better modellers than me but here goes.

The starting point for mine is good quality plywood cut to the required size, I like using this material as it takes the paint well and provides a good finish, but I'm sure there are many other materials that can be used. The next stage is best completed when your other half is not around, as it could lead to unplanned for decorating.

Take some standard house white emulsion paint, as I wanted to achieve a grey wet "northern" day, I added to a small quantity of emulsion paint, a very small amount of black poster paint. This technique works if you want to produce a summers day but use a blue colour. Anyway once the required colour is finally mixed this is then applied to the backscene boards using a standard brush or roller, just make sure you get a nice even finish (remember the colur lightens a bit when it dries so take this into account when mixing) Then the most important thing is to get rid of all the evidence before you are discovered by the Domestic Overlord (sorry the other half) then leave to dry.

Once the boards are fully dry I then fit them in their intended location and with a pencil and a feint line, trace the outline of the landscape, or roof tops of buildings against the backscene boards. Then take the boards away so you can do a little bit more work before you can actually start painting. Because you have traced the outline above you know that if you do anything below this it wont be seen, but anything above this will.

So draw out the out line of the distant hills if you need them, in my case I wanted the scene to go from industrial on boards 1 & 2 to a more rural image on board 3. Therefore working with on the industrial scene first I wanted to give the impression of many rows of roof tops going off into the distance. So from the outline you traced earlier draw a number of parallel lines to with the gaps between them decreasing as you go further up the backscene (these will be the rows of rooftops, I only did this for 3 or 4 rows).

Then the painting can begin, using a very limited pallet (I use 3 colours, black, burnt sienna and some white emulsion) I mix a colour which is a little darker than the shade I used for the backscene base colour.

I then paint this colour in the along the uppermost parallel line I pencilled in earlier, do not do a solid line of colour leave the occasional gap as this if forming the distant roof tops of your town. Its harder to explain than it is to do the photograph below explains it better than I can.

Once you have painted the first row, mix a slightly darker colour and then paint the next row, and repeat as you work down the rows. The closer you get to the bottom add a little more of the burnt sienna as is adds a warm glow to the outlines. I wanted a grey raining washed out look so I used very muted colours, remember even amongst a band you a painting it does not matter if the colour is not uniform, in fact it works better if its not.

Remember don't rush these things, I tend to do a couple of rows, then stop and let it dry, then test it in place and have a look at it, then when I am happy get back to the paint again.

Once you are happy you can then paint vertical block to indicate chimneys, and church spires etc, as you get to the bottom just remember the colours should be more bolder, on mine I went to an almost black colour. Its really not difficult to do and if you look at it by turning your back on your work and looking the other way it is quite effective, or at least to me it does.

BOO, are you still awake or have I bored you into unconsciousness , give it a try and remember you can always blame me if you don't like the results.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here