!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Return of Tales of future past... Oh yeah.....  (Read 36553 times)

Online Zogbert Splod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
Return of Tales of future past... Oh yeah.....
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »
Right then, here I go...  I know NOTHING about railways except that I like to look at trains, I like to ride on trains – I LIKE TRAINS!  When I say that I know nothing about trains I mean, most particularly, in any kind of operational sense.  I realise that hauling a bunch of wagons into a dead end siding behind a shunter is not too smart if you want to use that loco again in the near future.  That’s about the limit of my practical knowledge.  With that said, I will post a starting idea in the next day or two and ask for any and all suggestions to improve it.  I really don’t think that my sketch is in any way ‘precious’ so no suggestion for change will be too extreme for consideration.  I am still working on the sketch right now and admit that it is VERY ‘train set’ at this point.
Anyhow, for now, here is a sort of a back story for what ever it all grows in to.....

The place, a parallel universe situated on the outer edge of the back of beyond.  The time, in local parlance, ‘The Year Of The Oatcake’ – or, as we here would say, ‘I dunno!’...

It was a couple of years since the referendum and things were moving on apace.  The result of the vote had seen Scotland separate itself from the United Kingdom.  That had not been unexpected.  After all, Alex Trout had run a masterful campaign.  What was unexpected however, was the legal fallout that resulted from it.
Despite the best efforts of the UK Prime Minister, David Cameraman,  an ancient, and never repealed, law was discovered which allowed other parts of the Kingdom to secede at will in the event of the commencement of a break up of the Union.
Wales had been the first to go.  When it was discovered, in a subsequent hearing, that the English Counties were also able to take the step of independence, all of the western counties quickly did so.  This opened up a corridor between Scotland and Wales and, with the signing of a selection of agreements and contracts, resulted in the formation of a new political and trade amalgamation which become known as the North and West Alliance (N&WA – generally pronounced ‘Nay Way’).

Not all aspects of the separation had gone as smoothly as in the beginning however.  Many of the industries, particularly in the service aspect, had been headquartered in the capital and thus were nominally owned and/or controlled by various London companies and corporations.

At the behest of the WestMonster government (and a huge amount of tax incentives) these entities quickly withdrew their services from the new Alliance.

Looking specifically at the transportation network, the N&WA began to buy up and run various rail stock of an assortment of types and vintages.  To begin with they were simply worked in the colour scheme of the companies which sold them to the new network.  From the start there existed a plan to replace the units when possible, and, to repaint any remaining in a livery yet to be designed.
It didn’t take long for the remainder of the country, looking at the ‘mix and match’ railway system, to refer to it as a Frankenstein monster.  But, since Victor Frankstein’s monster was brought to life by electricity the whole ‘monster’ aspect of the situation was quickly accepted by all concerned and the citizens of the North and West themselves adopted the name ’Trainsylvania’ for their rail network.

That last sentence doesn’t really make a lot of sense but I don’t care too much.  Near enough is well good enough.  It’s just an excuse for a train set after all.  Cut me some slack here!  You people are all the same ye know... Pick, pick, pick!  How about some respect?  I fought and died in two world wars for you lot and what do I get for it? Pick, pick, pick!  I don’t think you can even SPELL repsect!

Anyhow, that’s it, my excuse and reasoning for running anything and everything (British) on the soon to be started layout.  Will that do?  I think it’s just a re-statement of what I think is called Rule One:  Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law...

A track plan will follow in short order but for now, thank you for indulging my lunatic fantasy.

Regards, Allan.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:35:24 pm by Zogbert Splod »
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

ScottyStitch

Re: Tales of future past...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:43:40 pm »
Mad as a Brush............... :bounce:

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:08 pm »
Jeez, I think someone has been on the Colombian marching powder....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:48:00 pm by Agrippa, Reason: TYPO »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 02:46:37 pm »
Excellent (and entertaining) intro to your forthcoming layout, Zogbert ;D
However, being a Lancashire blow in (i.e. I wasn't born in this county), I'm not sure I like being in a corridor between Scotland and Wales as this could result in the respective crowned heads getting uppity and going for full blown conkering. Yes - the issue may be decided at the annual National Conquer Championships which I believe is held in Northamptonshire, a county singularly unaffected by any such border shenanigans.
Shenanigans? Heck, have I brought the Irish into this dispute now? We'll all be speaking Gaelic soon :worried:
Best wishes with 'run what you brung'

ScottyStitch

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:53:51 pm »
Excellent (and entertaining) intro to your forthcoming layout, Zogbert ;D
However, being a Lancashire blow in (i.e. I wasn't born in this county), I'm not sure I like being in a corridor between Scotland and Wales as this could result in the respective crowned heads getting uppity and going for full blown conkering. Yes - the issue may be decided at the annual National Conquer Championships which I believe is held in Northamptonshire, a county singularly unaffected by any such border shenanigans.
Shenanigans? Heck, have I brought the Irish into this dispute now? We'll all be speaking Gaelic soon :worried:
Best wishes with 'run what you brung'

Come on Mick, You Lacashireans (?) (adoptive or otherwise), like your Northumbrian and Cumbrian cousins, really really want to be Scottish. We all know this  :thumbsup:

Online Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »

I've heard about people like you!  You are 'brushist' ain'tcha! I don't think a hobby forum is the place for such prejudice... Huh! What did brushes ever do to you?  ;)
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:56:52 pm »
 :) I think I will dig out my flack jacket and tin hat again before rebels start blowing up trains (sets) again   :laughabovepost:
PS will you be including the Scotyland/Hook of Holland rail tunnel link?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:58:38 pm by jonclox »
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Online Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:17 pm »
PS will you be including the Scotyland/Hook of Holland rail tunnel link?
Based on the concept of the fiddleyard being every where not detailed - YAIS! - Clogland and everywhere else in the entire universe!  Scot me up Beamy!!!
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 03:19:16 pm »
Now then me bonny lad that is some story and it looks like I am blessed with living on the Nay Way line, now what I want to know do you need a passport to travel into never-land governed by the almighty monsters or has free movement been granted?

As for rule 1 in this situation I think it is going to be rewritten.

:laugh3:

Geoff

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:40:41 pm »

I've heard about people like you!  You are 'brushist' ain'tcha! I don't think a hobby forum is the place for such prejudice... Huh! What did brushes ever do to you?  ;)

Just so no-one feels left out:

- crazy as a Crompton
- eccentric as an English Electric
- sozzled as a Sulzer
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

ScottyStitch

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:52 pm »

Nuts as a bag of squirrels......I don't discriminate when it comes to discrimination  :P

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:27:32 pm »
Hopefully the layout will be as entertaining as the back story.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:48 pm »
Zogbert

I hear they've discovered a couple of new planets recently. You wouldn't be from one of them by any chance?

:help:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:05 pm »
Just checking....are you related to the Zogbert Splod that posts on you tube? Although, I think he is a septic.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online Zogbert Splod

• Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:41 pm »
Just checking....are you related to the Zogbert Splod that posts on you tube? Although, I think he is a septic.
It has been known... Yeah, unless there is another one, it's me. I lived in the US for around 16 years in two different spasms...

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything