!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: RailModeller Pro  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Adam D

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
RailModeller Pro
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:22 am »
As a Mac user options for track planning software are a little more limited than for Windows users. Although I now use AnyRail through Wine (not the drink  ;)) I did try RailModeller at one stage but didn't find it as feature rich as AnyRail and it certainly felt less user friendly.

I received the below email today announcing their new product which looks much improved. Would be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on it especially those that currently use RailModeller and decide to invest in the new product.

http://www.railmodeller.com/home-railmodeller.html

INTRODUCING RAILMODELLER PRO
Today, were excited to announce the release of RailModeller Pro.  Its the perfect app for designing your model railroad and slot car layouts on OS X.
RailModeller Pro is now available from the Mac App Store at a promotional price of $28.99 or 25,99.
You can find out more about RailModeller Pro on our new website at railmodeller.com -
or why not take a first look at the app in our introductory video.

A FRESH START
RailModeller Pro is not just an update - it's a brand new app: rebuilt from scratch with a new architecture and a fresh, improved design. Our new app provides an extensible and flexible platform enabling us to bring you awesome and exciting new features over the course of the next weeks, months and years.
We deliberately took the time to carefully build a solid platform. However, now that we've decided it's time to put RailModeller Pro in your hands we'll switch to a more frequent update cycle. We expect to ship updates with new functionality at least once a month.

SO WHAT'S NEW?
RailModeller Pro features an all-new, single window design with an integrated library catalog and a new, modern sidebar that provides quick access to properties of the selected element as well as the layer list and a document's properties.
The new Smart Insert popup in the toolbar hosts assistants that support you in advanced editing tasks like automatically closing a gap with tracks or starting a parallel track with the appropriate parallel track distance for the current track library.
Context-aware tools provide functionality right there in your layouts right when you need it like the grading tools now easily accessible for selected tracks or track sections and the time-saving Repeat function you've seen at work quite a bit already in our introductory video!
We've also replaced the old-fashioned, fixed layout boundaries with the concept of an infinite drawing canvas. Just place your tracks on the layout and the app will automatically make sure you'll never run out of space.
RailModeller Pro offers all the goodies you'd expect from a modern OS X application like auto-saving, multiple layout documents opened at the same time, unlimited undo steps, support for Retina displays, and of course frictionless upgrades via the Mac App Store.

THINGS TO COME
We've worked hard to make the initial release of RailModeller Pro as feature complete as possible.
However, as it is a brand-new product some features just didn't made it into the app yet: The library editor will be delivered as an integrated function later this year and as we're aiming to enhance the 3D planning capabilities with full terrain modeling as well as 3D structures placed at arbitrary heights a much enhanced three-dimensional viewing mode will also follow later this year.
Things that just barely missed the initial release include the table top editor allowing you to specify the basic shape of your layout complete with measurements and pre-defined as well as completely customizable shapes.
A dedicated feature for importing images into the layout is also in the making.
We expect to have these two features - amongst many other additions and refinements - ready within the next weeks.

UPGRADES AND RAILMODELLER CLASSIC
We value our customers and we're extremely thankful for your support over the years!
As the Mac App Store does not support upgrade pricing we are offering RailModeller Pro at a 35% discount for one week - starting today.
You can find RailModeller Pro on the Mac App Store at
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/railmodeller-pro/id952380304?l=en&mt=12

RailModeller Classic (Version 4.x) is of course still available for download on our website and we will continue to provide maintenance updates for the foreseeable future.
Thank you!
Jan from RailModeller

Offline chrisridd

• Awards
Re: RailModeller Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »
I'm using RM Pro.

It is a lot slicker than the old RM "Classic" and easier to use.

On the downside, a number of classic features have not made it across yet. The author suggests this is a temporary measure, but the general feeling is that it was released perhaps prematurely.

Having said that it is OK, it is solid and doesn't crash.

The major feature that AnyRail has over RM Pro is that it can cope with slightly "sloppy" rail joins, whereas RM Pro often ends up with slight "gaps" which don't join up. RM 5 is about the same here as RM 4.

If you have any specific questions, I can try and answer them for you!

ScottyStitch

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »
As a Mac user options for track planning software are a little more limited than for Windows users. Although I now use AnyRail through Wine (not the drink  ;)) I did try RailModeller at one stage but didn't find it as feature rich as AnyRail and it certainly felt less user friendly.

I received the below email today announcing their new product which looks much improved. Would be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on it especially those that currently use RailModeller and decide to invest in the new product.

http://www.railmodeller.com/home-railmodeller.html

INTRODUCING RAILMODELLER PRO
Today, were excited to announce the release of RailModeller Pro.  Its the perfect app for designing your model railroad and slot car layouts on OS X.
RailModeller Pro is now available from the Mac App Store at a promotional price of $28.99 or 25,99.
You can find out more about RailModeller Pro on our new website at railmodeller.com -
or why not take a first look at the app in our introductory video.

A FRESH START
RailModeller Pro is not just an update - it's a brand new app: rebuilt from scratch with a new architecture and a fresh, improved design. Our new app provides an extensible and flexible platform enabling us to bring you awesome and exciting new features over the course of the next weeks, months and years.
We deliberately took the time to carefully build a solid platform. However, now that we've decided it's time to put RailModeller Pro in your hands we'll switch to a more frequent update cycle. We expect to ship updates with new functionality at least once a month.

SO WHAT'S NEW?
RailModeller Pro features an all-new, single window design with an integrated library catalog and a new, modern sidebar that provides quick access to properties of the selected element as well as the layer list and a document's properties.
The new Smart Insert popup in the toolbar hosts assistants that support you in advanced editing tasks like automatically closing a gap with tracks or starting a parallel track with the appropriate parallel track distance for the current track library.
Context-aware tools provide functionality right there in your layouts right when you need it like the grading tools now easily accessible for selected tracks or track sections and the time-saving Repeat function you've seen at work quite a bit already in our introductory video!
We've also replaced the old-fashioned, fixed layout boundaries with the concept of an infinite drawing canvas. Just place your tracks on the layout and the app will automatically make sure you'll never run out of space.
RailModeller Pro offers all the goodies you'd expect from a modern OS X application like auto-saving, multiple layout documents opened at the same time, unlimited undo steps, support for Retina displays, and of course frictionless upgrades via the Mac App Store.

THINGS TO COME
We've worked hard to make the initial release of RailModeller Pro as feature complete as possible.
However, as it is a brand-new product some features just didn't made it into the app yet: The library editor will be delivered as an integrated function later this year and as we're aiming to enhance the 3D planning capabilities with full terrain modeling as well as 3D structures placed at arbitrary heights a much enhanced three-dimensional viewing mode will also follow later this year.
Things that just barely missed the initial release include the table top editor allowing you to specify the basic shape of your layout complete with measurements and pre-defined as well as completely customizable shapes.
A dedicated feature for importing images into the layout is also in the making.
We expect to have these two features - amongst many other additions and refinements - ready within the next weeks.

UPGRADES AND RAILMODELLER CLASSIC
We value our customers and we're extremely thankful for your support over the years!
As the Mac App Store does not support upgrade pricing we are offering RailModeller Pro at a 35% discount for one week - starting today.
You can find RailModeller Pro on the Mac App Store at
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/railmodeller-pro/id952380304?l=en&mt=12

RailModeller Classic (Version 4.x) is of course still available for download on our website and we will continue to provide maintenance updates for the foreseeable future.
Thank you!
Jan from RailModeller

Hi Adam

Can you give me some gen on WINE? I run a MacBook, and I really miss AnyRail from my (recent) PC past.....does it work okay? I have tried the trial version of RM, but it just doesn't feel as good or intuitive... Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Scotty

Offline Adam D

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:56 am »
It works well for the most part, some of the native functions like copy and paste have stopped working for me recently but did initially so I may just have done something to upset wine!?  :doh:

Here is the AnyRail Mac thread https://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php?topic=1024.0 , it's very easy to use, just download the app (which if freehttp://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php] [url]http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php[/url]) and update to the most recent version of the winery, then get it to run the AnyRail .exe. It should run the installer just as if you were native in Windows. I run it on my '09 MacBook Pro and have no performance issues.

Once I found Wineskin I turned my back on Boot camp and Parallels for windows only apps, it doesn't work for everything but on the whole it's fantastic.

ScottyStitch

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:15:48 am »
It works well for the most part, some of the native functions like copy and paste have stopped working for me recently but did initially so I may just have done something to upset wine!?  :doh:

Here is the AnyRail Mac thread https://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php?topic=1024.0 , it's very easy to use, just download the app (which if free [url]http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php]http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php] [url]http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php[/url]) and update to the most recent version of the winery, then get it to run the AnyRail .exe. It should run the installer just as if you were native in Windows. I run it on my '09 MacBook Pro and have no performance issues.

Once I found Wineskin I turned my back on Boot camp and Parallels for windows only apps, it doesn't work for everything but on the whole it's fantastic.

Thank you sir. A scholar and a gent!

Scott

Offline RailModeller

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:18:20 pm »

Just a quick update:
It's been a while and with a steady stream of updates the app has now been released as version 5.2 offering the ability to import images into layouts.
Earlier this year our update to version 5.1 also introduced support for creating tunnel sections: https://goo.gl/F0YcA7

More info on our web page: http://www.railmodeller.com/home-railmodeller.html

Oh, and there's also a completely free app: http://www.railmodeller.com/news/free-railmodeller-express-model-railroad-app-updated-to-version-5-2.html
;)

Cheers,
Jan

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:33:21 pm »
Thats a shame its in that Apple MAC format, looked really useful right up until I saw that lol  :-X

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 01:13:01 pm »
Thats a shame its in that Apple MAC format, looked really useful right up until I saw that lol  :-X

That's ok, you just need to fix your computer by replacing it with a Mac :)

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:34 pm »
Just what I need Adam! :thankyousign:

I'll give the Express version a workout 50 track piece limit) before I shell out on the Pro.

We Mac users may at last have a reasonably decent rail app to use on our wonderful machines.

Mike.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 01:28:29 pm »
I use Wine Bottler to run Anyrail 5 and Templot on a 2010 Mac Pro using Mavericks without any issues. Don't know if this is just another version of wine or works differently but it seems fine and easy to use with plenty of options.

Izzy

ScottyStitch

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 02:58:42 pm »

Just a quick update:
It's been a while and with a steady stream of updates the app has now been released as version 5.2 offering the ability to import images into layouts.
Earlier this year our update to version 5.1 also introduced support for creating tunnel sections: https://goo.gl/F0YcA7

More info on our web page: http://www.railmodeller.com/home-railmodeller.html

Oh, and there's also a completely free app: http://www.railmodeller.com/news/free-railmodeller-express-model-railroad-app-updated-to-version-5-2.html
;)

Cheers,
Jan

@RailModeller

Thanks for the update Jan,

I really like that idea of importing photos and maps, I think that is a fantastic feature. I may have to try RailModeller again in that case. and see if I can get Perth Station nailed down.

How does it work? I presume you have to tell RailModeller what scale the map/Photo is at?

Scotty

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here