Icons of N gauge

Started by belstone, July 07, 2015, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidmouthJunction

Apologies if it has already been suggested on here, but how about the Peco Collet goods as an N gauge icon? First British r-t-r loco fitted with a decoder as standard, and a level of detail that has been a benchmark for everything produced since. Not that I'm biased in any way.

johnlambert

Quote from: Roy L S on August 14, 2015, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: johnlambert on August 14, 2015, 10:53:46 AM
Quote from: Hyperion on August 11, 2015, 01:34:21 AM
What about rollingstock? Are there certain runs or sets that are sought after?

I'm not sure about sought after but I'd have thought that the Graham Farish 'Blue Ribband' Stanier or Mk1 coaches deserve 'iconic' status with their flush glazing, separate hand rails, close coupling mechanisms and NEM pockets.  Were these the first N gauge coaches to offer all these features?

The Staniers are lovely coaches but I think Dapol may have got the drop on Farish with their Gresleys which also have all those features.

Regards

Roy

Roy

Good point, Roy.  I'd forgotten about the Gresleys despite owning several.

Roy L S

Quote from: SidmouthJunction on August 14, 2015, 12:14:21 PM
Apologies if it has already been suggested on here, but how about the Peco Collet goods as an N gauge icon? First British r-t-r loco fitted with a decoder as standard, and a level of detail that has been a benchmark for everything produced since. Not that I'm biased in any way.

A nicely made loco and with inclusion of DCC very innovative if maybe a tad early (DCC has certainly take off since). Pricing at £130 plus was a major issue for many especially as it included the then by many unwanted chip in the price. However in the intervening period maybe that gap would have narrowed if compared to Chinese made items and DCC fitted is much more common.

Biggest thing that put me off though was the tender, it simply dwarfs the loco. I know there has been much debate about which type of GW tender it is supposed to represent and that using a larger one was said to be necessary to get all the mechanism and gubbins in in but even if the type was seen behind the loco it was extremely rare and untypical for the class.

Roy

fisherman

The loco which  converted  me   to  N  gauge  was  the  Dapol 9f!!!

The  level of  detail  was  stunning and  I just  had  to  have one!

Then I had   to   build  a layout...  coff.....

Mine  has always   run  superbly and  looks   fantastic with   7  coaches behind...
<o({{{<<

Bealman

Yeah.... it's a very good model.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: Roy L S on August 14, 2015, 12:38:45 PM
Quote from: SidmouthJunction on August 14, 2015, 12:14:21 PM

A nicely made loco and with inclusion of DCC very innovative if maybe a tad early (DCC has certainly take off since). Pricing at £130 plus was a major issue for many especially as it included the then by many unwanted chip in the price. However in the intervening period maybe that gap would have narrowed if compared to Chinese made items and DCC fitted is much more common.

Biggest thing that put me off though was the tender, it simply dwarfs the loco. I know there has been much debate about which type of GW tender it is supposed to represent and that using a larger one was said to be necessary to get all the mechanism and gubbins in in but even if the type was seen behind the loco it was extremely rare and untypical for the class.

Roy

Surely it would be possible nowadays with improved miniaturisation to produce a scale-size tender which contained everything necessary including a DCC chip socket? If only Peco would restart production (even by contract manufacturing in China) I'm sure they would sell plenty of these Collett 0-6-0s.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations