!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 31892 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:18 pm »
"Time is relative", as the good Doctor would say! 8-)

Online Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:59 pm »

Arriving from Trepol Bay. As it was a stopping goods it lost and gained wagons en route but seen here heading for Durscombe. The Tardis factor accounts for the apparent late arrival!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:20 pm »
Thanks for this nice photo., Brian. I still need to take photos. of the train from Withy Junction passing through Cant Cove on its way to Penmayne.

When you've time, would you, please, take a photo. of all your BR livery wagons and vans so that I can see what you have for 'through' running?

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2015, 06:21:37 pm »
Will do. Doubtful before the weekend. It all depends on the results on Thursday.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2015, 06:51:29 pm »
Thanks for those photos of the Trepol Bay train arriving at Withy Jct Brian.
Looks good indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:22 pm »
Will do. Doubtful before the weekend. It all depends on the results on Thursday.

Many thanks, Brian. I understand. No hurry. I don't think you have a Peco BR Grey 'Plate' or BR Bauxite 'Pipe' wagon?

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 09:17:57 pm »
Off hand I don't think so but I'll check tomorrow. I think you have photos of all the stock I have as of mid Nov. If not I can send them to you.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »
Off hand I don't think so but I'll check tomorrow. I think you have photos of all the stock I have as of mid Nov. If not I can send them to you.

Thanks, Brian. Yes, you did send me photos of all the stock you had as of mid Nov. I don't think you have any BR open wagons except a mineral wagon or two? But, a photo. of all your BR stock would make a good 'through' train as others are likely yo be able to match it?

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:20 pm »

Thanks, Brian. Yes, you did send me photos of all the stock you had as of mid Nov. I don't think you have any BR open wagons except a mineral wagon or two? But, a photo. of all your BR stock would make a good 'through' train as others are likely yo be able to match it?

I'll get one made up tomorrow.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2015, 08:17:14 am »
Thanks, Brian. We can then all see what wagons and vans we can use in 'through' trains.

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »
An experiment using Vimeo.Click on the blue below. Anyone know how to place the video on the thread?

Local Frome to Bath on Vimeo
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:52:09 pm by Mito »

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 10:22:30 pm »
Afraid Vimeo doesn't let you properly embed video as it wants you to visit their website, that's the beauty of YouTube, you can embed a video.   ;)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »
Thanks for the videos, Brian.

Rather late, the official photograph of the returning special from Withy Junction makes it's last but one stop, at Cant Cove, on its way back to Penmayne. The tail load of a "Sam's Cider" van and wagon, both full of casks of cider, followed by a "Castle Estates" Container on a BR Conflat and a "Castle Estates" Single Vent van returning with Somerset agricultural produce and some casks of "Creech Brewery" ales will be detached here and taken up the Castle branch.

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2015, 10:44:46 pm »
Afraid Vimeo doesn't let you properly embed video as it wants you to visit their website, that's the beauty of YouTube, you can embed a video.   ;)

I wondered afterwards if that was the case. I'm not too enamored with all things Google but I think I'll go back simply for ease of posting.

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 08:45:17 pm »
Back Story
Withy Jct.
and
Durscombe.

There were many branch lines that criss-crossed Somerset. The S&D is well documented. The North Somerset Railway ran from Bristol to Frome and connected with the GWR Paddington Taunton main line. The North Somerset crossed under the S&D at Radstock. Slightly further South  on the NSR was a South facing junction near Hallatrow. From here the line went to Camerton in the Somerset coal field. The Somerset Coal Canal began here to connect to the Kennet & Avon nearer Bath. The canal closed at the beginning of the C20th. The last mine closed in 1973.
That was the reality, now starts the fiction.
Withy Jct. represents  Hallatrow, and Durscombe, Camerton. The junction allows access both to the North and South. From Durscombe the line runs to Bath. The coal field is still working producing high quality coal equal to that produced in South Wales. There is now a connection near Radstock with the S&D. Because of the single line working from Bath to Midford the line through Durscombe is used as a relief line.
Because of reduced transport costs Somerset coal is sent to the South West. Local breweries, businesses and cider makers have benefited too from the retention and upgrading of the local lines. The formation of the Mid- Somerset Preservation Society is playing a vital role in helping preserve the local lines by organizing various meets with other preservation societies. It is actively looking for premises to store and renovate stock for use on specials throughout the area. Thanks must go to Sidney Ambrose, owner of the Durscombe Arms, for his stalwart work to date. He has been lucky to have the assistance of the owner of Creech Brewery, William Mortell. Thanks also must also go to the MP for Mid Somerset Sir Arnold Searle-Hardy, himself a believer in the maintenance of the railway network in Britain.

I think that this story will give plenty of opportunity to use Rule 1!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here