!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 26084 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2015, 06:16:06 pm »
Not been too good these past few days. Hopefully photos will appear over the weekend.

Understood, Brian. We've had flurries of snow, here. I hope your weather improves, soon. Due to increasing goods traffic with Withy Junction and Durscome, a pair of extra BR Standard brake vans plus more Conflats with a variety of Containers are on their way to Wadebridge for inspection before forwarding to Withy Junction.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2015, 06:29:20 pm »
The General Manager of the "Castle Brewery" is arranging for a box van to be dispatched to Durscombe to collect some casks of Creech Somerset Ales' Creech Special, a beer with a kick and Red Pheasant to add to the mini beer festival to be held in "The Railway Hotel", Cant Cove, as part of the Christmas celebrations. The arriving box van will contain a selection of the most popular ales from the "Castle Brewery", in return.

The Chairman of the Board of the Creech Brewery has been invited to join the alliance of the "Castle Brewery" and "Headland Brewery" to resist the march of Whitbread into the West Country by taking shareholdings in each others' breweries and marketing a selection of their most popular ales in their outlets. The owner of "Sam's Cider" has also been formally invited to join the trading alliance. A Directors' Special from Trepol Bay and Cant Cove to Durscombe is being planned formed of 1st class only carriages and a kitchen-buffet car. The Head Chefs of "The Railway Hotel", Cant Cove and the "Railway Hotel", Trepol Bay, have been booked to provide the meals on the onward and return journeys having tossed a coin to see which chef catered which part of the trip.

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2015, 08:58:20 pm »
As part of the Christmas Celebrations in Cornwall, a special Christmas Real Ale Festival is being planned in Truro.
It is expected that the Creech Brewery along with Sam's Cider will be invited to supply guest ales and ciders.
The Head Brewer at the Headland Brewery is reported to be creating a special ale (rumoured to be called Rudolph Ale) which will be launched at the festival.
It is also widely anticipated that the Castle Brewery will also be releasing details of a new ale.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »
As part of the Christmas Celebrations in Cornwall, a special Christmas Real Ale Festival is being planned in Truro.
It is expected that the Creech Brewery along with Sam's Cider will be invited to supply guest ales and ciders.
The Head Brewer at the Headland Brewery is reported to be creating a special ale (rumoured to be called Rudolph Ale) which will be launched at the festival.
It is also widely anticipated that the Castle Brewery will also be releasing details of a new ale.

The Head Brewer of the Castle Brewery, Cant Cove, has been highly impressed by the excellent Somerset Ales of the Creech Brewery and is already an admirer of the Headland Brewery's excellent characterful brews. The "Castle Ales" range already comprises: Castle Brewery Bitter (B), Mild, Best Bitter (BB), IPA, and Strong (XXX) draught beers as well as Mild, Pale, Brown and Old Strong (6% ABV) bottled ales. Additionally, it distributes an excellent imported Alsace lager bier: Kronenbourg, advertised as being served from a ‘container’. For the Winter season the brewery brews its Old Strong Winter Ale (ABV - 5.5%) and for sale in December only, its Christmas Ale (ABV 7%) as it has spare capacity following the peak summer season when demand is highest for its award-winning Bitter (B), Mild, Best Bitter (BB), and IPA ales, and imported Kronenbourg.

However, inspired by his colleagues, the Head Brewer has been studying dusty old brewery recipe books in the "Castle Brewery" archive and believes that he has come up with a beer which will both fill a gap in the brewery's product line and that of the alliance breweries which also do not produce a beer of the type he has in mind. (The head brewer had been intending to brew a Red Ale in the old Irish style until he saw and greatly enjoyed the Creech Brewery's Red Pheasant ale.) Accordingly, he is planning to send a firkin (9 gallons, 41.59 litres) to the brewery Directors' Christmas Dinner, a kilderkin (18 imperial gallons, approx. 81.83 litres) to Trevelver Castle and a barrel (36 imperial gallons, approx. 163.66 litres) to the Truro Christmas Ale Festival. However, the name and type of the beer will be kept secret until he is completely satisfied with the first test brew which is just about to come into peak condition. Accordingly, next week, a specially invited group of CLPG and GWS members will be invited to the brewery's sampling room after signing a Non-Disclosure Agreement! After the Head Brewer has assessed their opinions a pin (equal to half a firkin; 4.5 imp gal or 20 litres) of the new brew will be sent by rail to Trepol Bay and Withy Junction, in the care of the guard on a suitable passenger train, to gain his trusted colleagues' opinion.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:33:54 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2015, 06:20:56 pm »
The good people of Withy and Durscombe I think lead a much slower pace of life than their counterparts in Cornwall! They are still arranging the first meet-up. Sidney Ambrose is up to his eyes in work as the help he wanted, the "Bristol Beauties" are not available as they are fully booked until after the New Year. It is hoped that all will be in place by tomorrow and that photos will be forthcoming.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »
Lady Penelope of Trevelver Castle, supported by Lord Trevelver and their daughter, Sylvia, has had a galvanising effect on Cornwall, Brian. Thanks to her efforts everyone of any importance from the 'highest to the lowest' in the Duchy is doing their best to support the Alliance for Cornwall's Railways and to boost the tourist trade so that the area appeals to gourmets and not only those seeking sun, sea and ... sand! 8-) [This Christmas's Cant Cove story will reveal more!]

The Directors of the Castle and Headland Breweries are very impressed with the ales of the Creech Brewery and are determined to keep it out of the clutches of Whitbread!

[Seriously, when you have time to post photos. of the trains' arrival that's fine. We will be posting photos. when we have time, too, so there may well be delays between trains departing and arriving on our threads, too.]

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2015, 10:00:10 am »
Rumours are spreading that [next year] 1965 should see some very special events in the West Country in general and, especially Cornwall, featuring both diesel and steam power of great interest, from both the WR and SR, which will attract enthusiast specials from far afield.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2015, 06:29:27 pm »

Two overall views of the meet-up at Withy Jct. Sidney Ambrose had already brought down the supply of Creech beers, Sam's Cider being brought down by rail. The marquee was full to capacity of local and visiting dignitaries, local interested people and members of the CPLG and the GWS and there was a serious risk of running dry! It is thought that interested parties from afar afield as Bristol and Swindon attended.The "Guards Van" special was well used, especially by visitors children. The auto coach made several trips up to Durscombe. Brisk sales were recorded at Durscombe's off licence.

The special seen leaving Withy Jct. heading back to Cornwall with some tired but happy members and visitors. A couple of Sam's Cider wagons were attached to cater for the increase in consumption in Cornwall and also two Castle Estates returning empty after delivering Cornish produce to Somerset.

Spotted later that evening, a mixed goods heading South. Noticeable was the ferry van filled with Sam's Cider and Creech beers to be sent to France. Also in some of the other vans were various types of Somerset fare including, in the refrigerated van, samples of Cheddar cheeses made by Somerset Small Enterprises.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2015, 06:36:32 pm »
Thanks for those pictures Brian.
Good to see some familiar wagons in deepest Somerset. The layout is coming along very nicely indeed.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2015, 06:51:30 pm »
Seconded, Brian! Many thanks, too, for the photos. of the trains. Next month, I hope, there will be a few more brake vans for the brake van specials and 'through' goods trains. The marquee looks excellent.

I'm sure the CLPG and GWS members had a very enjoyable time and that "Sam's Cider" will become even better known in Cornwall than it already is!

The ferry van, filled with "Sam's Cider" and Creech beers going to France, shows that the French know good cider and beer when they taste it! (However, the cider is, not, I expect bound for Brittany! 8-) )

I have a Graham Farish BR Maroon "Warship" so that can also run 'through' (we can pretend that it is then replaced by your Minitrix one after 'failing' at Withy Junction).

I also have a GF GWR livery 61XX but as it is away for DCC-fitting (and a low priority) it  cannot run 'through' for a while. (However, locos. can be, and are, changed en route.)

When I next prepare a batch of vans for Martin to finish, perhaps, some PO wagons and vans will also appear from West Cornwall? I can also prepare some in Creech Brwery livery?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:18:56 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2015, 09:46:38 pm »
My apologies, Brian. I've been too busy plus we have had no sun, to take a photo. of the returning special passenger train and the goods train arriving at Cant Cove. I hope to, next week.

The Wadebridge yardmaster is expecting some special goods trains to arrive the week after next with wagons and vans for forwarding to Withy Junction but is awaiting confirmation from the WR Birmingham Area Control Office. The Wadebridge yardmaster wants to get the trains off to Somerset before the 21st to leave paths for the Christmas Season Special trains.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2015, 06:40:05 pm »
When I next prepare a batch of vans for Martin to finish, perhaps, some PO wagons and vans will also appear from West Cornwall? I can also prepare some in Creech Brwery livery?

That would be a good idea. A deep burgundy or purple? I'll try and knock up a logo, time permitting.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »
The photographer for the Cornwall Railway Group has taken photos of a number of trains bound in the direction of Withy Junction.
Pictures can be found on the Trepol Bay thread.
My Layouts -

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2015, 08:46:57 pm »
The photographer for the Cornwall Railway Group has taken photos of a number of trains bound in the direction of Withy Junction.

Already seen thanks. I think "overnight" is a little optimistic! The following day? :)

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2015, 08:49:27 pm »

Already seen thanks. I think "overnight" is a little optimistic! The following day? :)
Happy with that. Next day will be fine.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything