!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 22968 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 11:27:59 pm »
Looking good there Mito, its nice to start work on the scenery.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 10:21:02 pm »
A little bit more done.

Marcus' Spring. The rocks are broken plaster covered by a layer of runny plaster brushed on.

Looking towards Withy. I found a packet of cement colourant and added some to cellulose filler. I put too much in so it looks like   well chocolate!
The rocks on the right were made from a home made mold using plaster of Paris.

More chocolate. The light colour is fine sawdust stuck down with wood glue. I don't know how successful it will be. Tomorrow will tell. I intend to paint it then sprinkle ground cover over it. An experiment.

Looking North out of Withy Jct, towards the spring.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »
Looking good, Brian. Experiments are, usually, worth trying. The dark chocolate colour can always be overpainted. (A tin of cheap household acyrilic paint should be fine.) For Marcus' Spring you could try the method that Markus described (hence the name?) After a very detailed explanation by Markus, this is how I plan to finish the streams in the Cant Cove area: I have already modelled the stream bed with tile grout and styrene foam pieces, however, I need to repaint the stream bed with a suitable cloured acyrilic paint, I'm thinking pale grey rather than brown paint (as Markus used) instead of the current medium dark blue (I need to check some colour photos. of Cornish streams). Then I will apply white PVA glue (instead of scenic glue used by Markus) and sprinkle on different grades of dark brown Cornish sand and grey ballast for the stream bed. Next, I plan to apply more white PVA glue but diluted (Markus uses 70% Isopropyl alcohol and then Walthers scenic cement, but says that thinned white glue will do it too). The next day, or when the glue is dry, I plan to use a clear acrylic gel from an artist's supply shop (I know of such a shop, I just hope they have such gel), stippled on the stream bed. (I wonder if I can use it for the waterfalls?) Markus says that it should take about one day for the gel to dry. [An alternative is, as Martin does to excellent effect, to use layers of clear varnish but let each layer dry thoroughly before the next!]

For more realism I will then drybrush some white acyrilic paint on the top of the waves.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:47:14 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
Thanks for the info about making streams. I shall do something similar.  The reason for Marcus' Spring is in memory of my elder son who was killed as a passenger in a car accident some 15 years ago. It's as my pseudo-name here. In memory of the most loyal dog I have ever had. He was poisoned  by a "hunter" but was saved by our vet but had to be put down 2 years later with advanced leukemia caused by the poisoning. It keeps them alive in my mind.
I did a little more today but not enough to photograph. The "chocolate" doesn't look too bad now it's dry and with ground cover over it, it will hardly be seen. The sawdust was experiment was not a success, plan B now ???
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 09:32:50 pm »
Thanks for the update and explanation, Brian. VERY sorry indeed to read about your son and dog. On a (MUCH) lighter note, at least you tried the sawdust.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:23 pm »
A bit more progress, now with a bit of colour.

It's impossible to see the spring. I have to hold the camera over the layout. The rocks are plaster on which I've used watercolours as the plaster absorbs the paint and it's easier to blend in different colours.
the tint I used in the cellulose filler was for cement based products. It's worked but can be rubbed off so a coat of acrylic paint seals it.

The bridge is made. I have to make the bridge supports and it will be put in when the painting is finished.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:59 am »
That's looking very good indeed, Brian :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 02:47:41 pm »
Excellent progress, Brian. You're now definitely ahead of me and likely to get even further ahead as I won't have any major free time until the Christmas holidays.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 09:47:28 pm »
A couple more.
Waiting for collection.

Waiting for motive power to take them South to Cornwall

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 08:18:10 am »
That's all looking very good indeed Brian. Excellent progress and I'm looking forward to more photos.
Great stuff.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 10:47:37 am »
You're well ahead of me now, Brian, with your scenery and it is all looking very realistic. I look forward to further progress. A short rake of single and double (LWB) timber wagons has, finally, arrived at Cant Cove for repainting: half in BR Late Bauxite and half in the new "Castle Estates" blue livery but there will be a delay before work can commence. Once completed they will join the rake of wagons and vans (minus the "Sam's Cider" van as you already have one to represent 'through' workings) stored at Cant Cove awaiting onward shipment to Somerset. I see you have one of the pre-BR wooden bodied horseboxes but in an unusual grey livery) so racehorse specials between Somerset and North & West Cornwall be a possibility. A Lima horsebox in BR Crimson and Satin Black will also be on its way when I have time to repaint the recent arrivals. Thans to John all the Lima horseboxes have had new, better looking wheelsets fitted.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 08:59:22 pm »
Thank you all. What you see there is less than a m2. There are at least 5 or 6 m2 to do :(
I have 3 horse boxes bought years ago. I can paint them to match yours. The one you can see is dark olive in colour.What colour do you use to paint Sam's Cider wagons? I'd like to paint a couple more to satisfy demand from the South East.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2015, 09:16:20 pm »
Thank you all. What you see there is less than a m2. There are at least 5 or 6 m2 to do :(
I have 3 horse boxes bought years ago. I can paint them to match yours. The one you can see is dark olive in colour. What colour do you use to paint "Sam's Cider" wagons? I'd like to paint a couple more to satisfy demand from the South East.

The Graham Farish pre-BR wooden bodied horseboxes are painted BR Crimson (a car spraypaint: Ford burgundy red) with satin black (Humbrol enamel) ends and internal glazing (transparent plastic sheet) added. As I'm going to paint another batch in the holidays I could do your three, too? The "Sam's Cider" vans and wagons are painted Humbrol enamel Gloss 2. I'm happy to paint more in the holidays.

Both horse box bodies were spraypainted in BR Crimson. (The GF one had, first, very carefully, had all the gold removed and then was spraypainted Halford's matt red undercoat. Now used up, alas.) The Lima one's chassis was spraypainted satin black. The ends were painted in satin black. The Lima one's roof was left in its original colour. The GF one was spraypainted (I think) medium grey. (I have a pile of roofs and I just selected this one.)

I have since exchanged the Lima one's wheels for slimmer profile GF coach ones and fitted glazing inside the GF one after painting the interior matt dark grey to reduce the translucence of the maroon plastic body (it was bought as a LMS one), and repainted the buffers at one end of the GF one. Once the interior of the Lima horse box had been completed the circular holes on the ends were filled with Tamiya Filler then, once it had dried, sanded and the ends repainted in satin black. The Lima horse box has also had the body put on the right way since the photos. were taken so that the steps are at the correct end! Finally, suitable transfers still need to be added. However, I only have XP ones in yellow. Are there any transfer sheets available for non-BR Standard horse boxes?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:19:36 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2015, 10:16:03 pm »
An up date on Marcus' Spring. Not a good photo I'm afraid. I need to gloss the river add some trees and it should be just about finished. The road on the right is 1000 grit wet and dry still to be toned down. The track is covered with masking tape as I want to give the foliage a coating of hair spray tomorrow.

Papier machée covering mosquito netting for the hill and polyurethane foam for the other contours.

I came across a couple of boxes of Woodland Scenics Sculptamold which must be about 20 years old. I've used a bit to see if it's still good. Tomorrow will tell. There will be a halt there, name to be decided.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2015, 10:39:44 pm »
Very good progress, Brian. I hope that the Woodland Scenics Sculptamold is still good.

The CLPG and GWS Cornwall members hope that the tracks will be clear for their special train which has set out from Cornwall! 8-)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything