!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 29643 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »
With only some minor 'touching up' of paint to complete their work the painters are very frustrated that illness prevents them working and Thursday evening is Dart's Night at "The Station Hotel", too, and it's a local 'derby' versus the "Tramway Inn" down the road, too!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:26:32 pm by Chris in Prague »

Online Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:34 pm »
The track laying is finished, subject to minor adjustments. Wiring now begins using the KISS principle. All my other attempts have been far too complex.
Here are a couple of photos of the track down.

Withy junction. The branch is the third track from the left. The "main line" are the first two, the last a siding off the branch.

Durscoombe branch. The end of the line. Behind the foam will be space to change cassettes representing the coal mines. The siding at the front will eventually have a creamery.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 06:26:32 am »
The Cant Cove Loco. Preservation Group's painters have been hard at work completing a new rake of wagons for traffic to Withy Junction and Durscombe. A request has been made for the official photographers to record the completed rake which is now scheduled to be taken to Wadebridge for onward transmission this Friday.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 11:37:15 am »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 11:39:52 am »

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »
It's way over time for an update. I have tried to simplify the layout as the locos were having problems wit a couple of points and a diamond crossing and the wiring.......... the least said the better!
Here is the new track diagram

The track layout at Withy Jct. is based on Dymock on the old Daffodil Line and Durscombe on Stogumber on the West Somerset Heritage line. One of the reasons for choosing these stations is that there is an abundance of photos. Eventually there will be a Durscombe Sidings but more than likely a stand alone board but which will justify coal movements from the Somerset coal field. The line through Stogumber will end with cassettes as will the line in front and below. I then will have the option of going from A to B or just going round in circles. I feel at home doing that :laugh3:

An overview of Withy Jct. More to come on the control panel and the metal thing behind it.

Stogumber station. The dark wood cum plastic will be the cassette. http://stogumberstation.co.uk/ gives a lot of info. The lump of foam to the left hides the other cassette site.

A cheap set of Chinese drawers serves to store my mixed collection of stock. It cost about GBP10 for the box and lining.
I need to take more photos to show the slow progress.
Back soon
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 06:26:25 am »
Good morning Brian, many thanks for the detailed update. It's always good to see a trackplan plus some photos. of progress.

Is their racehorse traffic to / from either station? (I will be spraypainting / handpainting a batch of Graham Farish (pre-BR) wooden bodied and Lima horseboxes in BR Crimson / Satin Black, later this year, like the pair I did this summer, and I think I should have a spare pair.)

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:50 pm »
A bit more progress. For point control I've used wire in tube. It's 1mm o/d and 0.6 i/d PTFE tube and 0.5mm piano wire. I use foam as the baseboard so the tubing is buried in the foam and covered with filler. Between the foam and the levers was a section that was unsupported. I got over this by bending code 80 rail to suit slid some heat shrink tubing over it and then passed the tube and wire through. A quick burst of heat and the tube was rigid. The photo below shows the idea with insulating tape holding things in place.

The frame was made of T-section aluminium  with 1mm holes drilled through and the tubing glued in. The levers are 4mm dia aluminium covered with heat shrink tubing. A 2mm hole was drilled through the rod then another down the centre. The wire was passed through, adjusted for length and glued in place.

I think the photos explain better.

A busy moment at Withy Jct. The B set is on its way to Durscombe whilst the rail-car is heading South West. The blue wagons are waiting to be picked up to return empty to Cant Cove, the green ones are being retuned to Sam's Cider for reloading and a fast return to satisfy Cornish thirst! There is a possibility the siphon will be pressed into service too.
Now I must get down to some serious playing or should that be testing

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 06:51:29 am »
Many thanks for the updates, Brian. Good to see that trains are running. The photos. and explanations about the Wire in a Tube points operation were very interesting; alas, I do not think I have the technical capability to construct such a system so will have to resort to point motors for the fiddle yard. However, as my baseboard is sytrene sheet I can easily bury them. (In fact, in the fiddle yard it will be balsa wood on top of cork sheet on top of styrene sheet!)

A (very delayed) train of single and double bolster wagons is due to depart from the BR WR area through Claverdon bound for Cant Cove where they will be overhauled and repainted for the timber traffic from Withy Junction and Durscombe to Cant Cove, Penmayne, Port Perran and Trepol Bay. Some will be in sprayed BR Bauxite and some new "Castle Estates" blue.

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
A first attempt at couple of very short videos to show that things do work!
I have a very old controller and coordination between right and left hand leaves a lot to be desired.  :-[
! No longer available

! No longer available

! No longer available

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 10:47:35 pm »
Thanks for those videos, Brian. Nice to see the "Castle Estates" and "Sam's Cider" goods vehicles running well. There will be another shipment of wagons (mainly for timber traffic) but, probably in time for Christmas at the rate at which time is passing!

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:42 am »
Great to see a bit of action Brian.
Looking good.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:21 pm »
A railcar arriving at Withy Jct.

Fixing down the road between Withy and Durscombe. Paint tins to the rescue!

The beginnings of land. I use aluminium mosquito mesh with cellulose filler but as an experiment I've used newspaper torn up with a cheap white glue. So far it seems ok. I'll cover it with a wash of plaster which accepts water colours better than cellulose filler.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:27 am »
Thanks for the update photos., Brian. Very good to see significant progress being made. Keep it up. Scenery in place makes a tremendous difference in my opinion.

I am using acyrilic paint on top of tile grout (for plaster) applied over styrene packing pieces / blocks glued together with white PVA glue. However, newspaper torn up with a cheap white glue should also work. If you have any styrene packing pieces / blocks you can try those under newspaper strips.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
As Chris says, its great to see scenery starting to develop.
Please keep the updates coming so that we can keep a nosey eye on progress.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything