!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Askham Battersby MKII - NE / Midland Modular Layout  (Read 5768 times)

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 01:08:59 pm »
Iíve spent all day re-uploading all the photos used in this thread onto my personal website so I can link back into this thread. With that completed, itís onto another long overdue update.

Iíve installed three DCC Specialities PSX digital circuit breakers which control the three regions of the layout. I decided to split the layout into Ďeastí and Ďwestí mainline regions plus the goods yard and shed areas as the third region. This makes sense to me in terms of operation and ease of wiring. However, since installation Iíve realised that Iíll need to fit a fourth PSX exclusively for the point motors / accessory bus so the entire layout doesnít trip if I run a train into a point thatís set incorrectly. This is the by far the biggest cause of a short on my layout. I produced a simplistic diagram to record my wiring within Anyrail as a layer over the track plan.

Some alterations to the circuit boards of the breakers needed to be made before I could use them. Connector J6 needs a jumper adding terminals 1 + 2 (black wire on right hand side in the image below) to reduce the trip threshold down to 1.27 amps. My NCE unit would still trip before the PSX-3 if I hadnít have done this!

To prevent the PSX trying to auto-reset every 2 seconds, Iíve added a reset switch to terminals 1 + 2 of connector J7 (white and green wires above). The picture below shows the reset switches and also LEDs which Iíve added to indicate that a short has occurred. The LEDs are connected to terminals 1 + 2 of connector J5 (white and blue wires above).

Thanks especially go to @lil chris for passing on his knowledge in this area. Here are some photos of it in situ:

Iíve also updated the track plan as the layout has evolved over time.

-   The headshunt on the lower right hand side has been moved down so as not to cross two baseboards.
-   The cattle dock has been moved into the goods yard as I've discovered that they were not generally placed where they shared a passenger platform for hygiene reasons. It also makes a lot of sense with regards to shunting and train movements.
-   The brewery and coal staithes have been swapped around and the staithes have been swapped for coal drops which more typical of the NE region I'm loosely depicting. I also thought the added height would bring some interest. I'm excited to model this as it will represent my first attempt at a scratch built structure. You'll also notice that whilst I wanted to keep the trackwork relatively simple, I've simplified things a little with the use of a three-way point and double slip on the entry into goods yard. More on this later.
-   After measuring the fiddle yard and the trains I plan the run, the platforms have been shortened and moved.
-   The bay platform has been altered so that I can try and operate it something like prototype. It was very difficult to research exactly what the procedure was with regards to changing locos, suburban movements etc. in bay platforms so this is what I've settled with. A fresh steam loco will be waiting in the siding, it will remove the coaches into the siding to release the first loco which will head back to the sheds for refuelling, the shunting loco will then take charge of the passenger stock.
-   Finally, I've swapped the ratio coaling stage for a more prototypical Farish coaling tower, given the size of the shed.

Thank you for reading.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations