!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 125036 times)

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 02:09:12 pm »
Definitely food for thought (I'm one of the ones bidding on the Hall btw ;) ). I've got a few Farish Halls of the older variety and I'd certainly consider paying for a body to be repainted like that or buying a ready done replacement body for one of them. I've also got various spare body shells of things, as I'm certain other NGFers have. Maybe do a system where you take part payment in body shells ? :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 02:18:14 pm »
Definitely food for thought (I'm one of the ones bidding on the Hall btw ;) ). I've got a few Farish Halls of the older variety and I'd certainly consider paying for a body to be repainted like that or buying a ready done replacement body for one of them. I've also got various spare body shells of things, as I'm certain other NGFers have. Maybe do a system where you take part payment in body shells ? :)

Good luck with the bid, Zwilnik! It's pleasing to know that you've seen the Hall's development on this thread and know the work that's gone into it! :)

I have got a couple more Hall bodies - older ones from the spam can motor days, but I think they fit the modern chassis too. If you've got any ideas/requests for liveries, let me know and I'll see what I can do...! ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
I have got a couple more Hall bodies - older ones from the spam can motor days, but I think they fit the modern chassis too.

Yes, they'll fit the more recent Poole chassis  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2014, 09:25:21 am »
Don't forget us diseasel infected lot!

As if I would, DesertHound...

Here's a class 50 that just needs some smartening up of the glue marks around the nameplate and another coat of satin... (another for sale, this, if anyone's interested!)

Another steamie getting a revamp - this Southern tank had the most hideously blobby paint job when I got it - it looked like it had been applied by soap dispenser. Re-painted and one side complete with new decals and lining:

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »
I certainly agree that there's a market for bodies only. If it's something that will readily fit on an available chassis for us beginners then it's a great way of adding something unique to your loco stud.

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:04 pm »
Yet more good stuff Oz! Is that an Edward Elgar class 50 in the first pic?
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2014, 04:11:54 pm »
Yet more good stuff Oz! Is that an Edward Elgar class 50 in the first pic?

Er, I think so, Dan...! I don't know much about diesels, so I googled a green livery for a class 50  ('cos I had some green paint!) - I had the "Revenge" nameplate already, so I used that and the 50020 running number.

Someone will probably point out that this loco never appeared in this livery (I think it should be blue) but it's still rather nice and I'm pleading Rule One....

It's a metal kit body on a very solid chassis, so it'll pull like... well, a train, as well! ;)

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 04:28:51 pm »
Well it looks good so don't get too caught up in it being prototypically correct. You can hone your skills and then go down the realism route if you want. Whatever takes your fancy.

Is it a Farish chassis or something else? A pic of the offending chassis will confirm to me if it's a Farish or not. If it's not, I'm sure others will know what make it is.

Dan

PS: When you say "smartening up of the glue marks around the nameplates", what does that mean? Do you mean removing of the glue marks (and if so what product would remove the glue but not the paint) or does it mean "blending them in" somehow? Genuinely interested in your methods.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:27 pm »
Is it a Farish chassis or something else?

Defo not Farish, nor is the body, but the best execution of an old whitemetal class 50 kit I've ever seen...  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »
Is it a Farish chassis or something else?

Defo not Farish, nor is the body, but the best execution of an old whitemetal class 50 kit I've ever seen...  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alan

I have a feeling it's an Atlas chassis - and the body is an old English make - I'll check both tonight and let you know!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:08 pm »
Well it looks good so don't get too caught up in it being prototypically correct. You can hone your skills and then go down the realism route if you want. Whatever takes your fancy.

Is it a Farish chassis or something else? A pic of the offending chassis will confirm to me if it's a Farish or not. If it's not, I'm sure others will know what make it is.

Dan

PS: When you say "smartening up of the glue marks around the nameplates", what does that mean? Do you mean removing of the glue marks (and if so what product would remove the glue but not the paint) or does it mean "blending them in" somehow? Genuinely interested in your methods.

Dan, where I've glued the plates on I've been a bit over enthusiastic with the CA adhesive and it's seeped out around the sides, making the paint bubble a little. Efforts to scrape it away threatened to ruin my spray job, and I don' t want to have to re-do those decals!

So, I've left it to dry, and tonight I'll set about it with some VERY fine wet and dry paper (1500 grit, moistened), which in theory should smooth it out without taking the paint completely away,

This will leave a finely sanded area which (again, in theory) should become invisible once I apply a second coat of satin spray varnish. I didn't really want to do this on top of the plates because it looked fine with one coat, but ho hum!

Side point: from now on I'm going to use only Humbrol spray varnish, both acrylic and enamel - other brands I've tried are way too thick and gloopy and drip/run like crazy!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
Dan, where I've glued the plates on I've been a bit over enthusiastic with the CA adhesive and it's seeped out around the sides, making the paint bubble a little. Efforts to scrape it away threatened to ruin my spray job, and I don' t want to have to re-do those decals!

When attaching etched plates - tip - place masking tape around the area where the plate is to be located before applying either the plate or adhesive - this will stop the area round the plate being damaged, and can also assist in positioning of the plate.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »

When attaching etched plates - tip - place masking tape around the area where the plate is to be located before applying either the plate or adhesive - this will stop the area round the plate being damaged, and can also assist in positioning of the plate.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan - lesson learned, I'll do this next time!

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:51 pm »
I have a Class 50 like that which I made back in 1971. It has a body by Anbrico Scale Models of Pudsey (Yorkshire) and was originally mounted on a Bachmann Spectrum GP40 chassis. However, having replaced this a few years ago with a chassis from the Life-Like GE Dash 8-40 it is now a superb runner and very powerful as well as very heavy, just right for hauling my track cleaning wagon around the layout.

Mike

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
I have a Class 50 like that which I made back in 1971. It has a body by Anbrico Scale Models of Pudsey (Yorkshire) and was originally mounted on a Bachmann Spectrum GP40 chassis. However, having replaced this a few years ago with a chassis from the Life-Like GE Dash 8-40 it is now a superb runner and very powerful as well as very heavy, just right for hauling my track cleaning wagon around the layout.

Mike

That's the one - it's an Anbrico kit. I had no idea it was that vintage!! Thanks Mike!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything