Famous Modellers

Started by trainsdownunder, July 10, 2014, 11:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agrippa

Further post this thread was about famous modellers , not about people arguing about
long dead diesel  locos .

So there you have it !
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Komata

Agrippa:

Re: 'If the Maharaja  created that it  is  most impressive!'

A good point, and thank you for making it.  On reflection, I suspect that the answer would probably be no, not a 'Famous' modeller (a difference I had actually unconsciously alluded-to in with my reference to Bassett-Lowke).  AFAIRecall, Maharajahs largely had others do things FOR them, rather than doing things themselves (a perk of the job) and I would doubt  that the gentleman concerned would have the skills to work in silver, or the knowledge to wire a railway - even a third-rail one.

Therefore, no, the M'rajah would not make the list.  Thanks for the comment and for making me think (always a good thing :) :) )

So, with the Maharajah removed, do we have any more famous ('real') modellers to add to the list?
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: NeMo on July 31, 2014, 08:03:07 PM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on July 31, 2014, 07:54:55 PM
Perhaps you didn't see the recent contest between a Western and the, nominally, far more powerful 67 (on a train of similar weight) when the Western left the much newer loco far behind...
Really? What was the incident? All due respect to the D1000 class, but it doesn't sound very plausible that it could beat a more powerful locomotive designed for 125 mph running!

Cheers, NeMo

I draw attention to an article in the "Rail Express" magazine dated July 2014 (page 19).
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Bealman

Folks, the thread is entitled "Famous Modellers"

Let's stick to the title of the thread, please. Discussion of the haulage power of diesel, hydraulic, or clockwork traction is most definitely   :offtopicsign:

Please stick to the thread.  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Bealman on August 01, 2014, 02:16:32 AM
Folks, the thread is entitled "Famous Modellers"

Let's stick to the title of the tread, please. Discussion of the haulage power of diesel, hydraulic, or clockwork traction is most definitely   :offtopicsign:

Please stick to the thread.  :thumbsup:

George

Well said George. My original comment was intended somewhat light heartedly but the thread was then taken over as a general discussion on the merits or otherwise of various forms of traction.
In an attempt to get this back "on track" one more famous name in both the model, and "real", world is news reporter Ben Ando.

kirky

Has Gary Coleman been mentioned? (Child actor in Diff'rent Strokes)

Sadly died at age of 42 a couple of years ago.

This is what Wikipedia says about his modelling:

Coleman was an avid railfan, model railroader, and supporter of Amtrak. Coleman became interested in trains sometime before the age of five during his frequent train trips to Chicago in support of his burgeoning acting career.[45] Fans often saw him at stores specializing in model trains in areas in which he lived, and he worked part-time at Denver-area, Tucson-area, and California hobby stores to be around his hobby.[45][46] Coleman built and maintained miniature railroads in his homes in several states. One of Coleman's train layouts appears in the September 1990 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. Coleman is photographed on the front cover, with his "Rio Grande" layout. Coleman preferred to model in HO scale, but modeled in other scales, as well. One such model railroad was over 800 square-feet in size. Currently, at least one of his model railroads is being preserved in Colorado Springs, Colorado.[47]

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Only Me on August 01, 2014, 10:18:49 AM
No prize for that, Ben's already been mentioned in Post 3 lol :P

:-[ Sorry, I must have missed his name before. Mike Smith, who sadly died today after a major heart operation, was also a keen railfan but not sure if it extended to models.

kirky

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 03, 2014, 10:00:17 AMMike Smith, who sadly died today after a major heart operation, was also a keen railfan but not sure if it extended to models.
Oh that's really sad, I hadn't heard till now.

Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Ben A

Hi all,

I'd like to nominate myself as "least famous famous modeller" mentioned in this thread!!

Shame about Mike Smith though; I never met him but people I know who worked with him said he was a decent guy.  There are plenty of train geeks at my workplace - one of the cameramen I work with regularly is the chief signalman for an MRC in Watford where they run an O gauge (I think) layout spread throughout numerous rooms in a large house to a very strict timetable!

cheers

Ben A.

Caz

Was watching the "Celebrity Antiques Road Trip" last night and Ann Diamond was one of the celebrities (news and show presenter in the UK).  I thought I had heard she was a model railway fan but she said herself she is a model railway nut and models the GWR in 00, wonder if we can convert her to N.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Sprintex

Dorsetmike

Digressing slightly from famous people who are railway modellers to railway modellers who are, or should be,  famous, or maybe admired, at least within N gauge ranks, two that spring to my mind are Andy Calvert and Paul Martin, neither sadly, are still with us, but their inspiration lives on.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on September 16, 2014, 02:51:46 PM
wonder if we can convert her to N.   ;)

She'd need a very big stool to read any news if we did that :-X

Bob Tidbury

Ill second that I new them both quite well Paul  and Paula were a bit closer to High Wycombe but I used to chat with Andy whenever I went up that way,I will never forget when we held a minutes Silence at the NEC for Andy you could have heard a pin drop as you say two outstanding N gauge modellers who will never be forgotten.
Bob

Sprintex

Back on topic . . .

Suppose we should add Steve Lamacq to the list now since he seems to have come "out of the closet railway room" ;)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations