!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - American N  (Read 27907 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - American N
« Reply #375 on: November 14, 2016, 10:27:47 pm »
Donald

It is a fine looking bridge all right and that's coming from a fan of railway bridges. It's going to look even better when you get it painted up with water under it. Your horses are looking a little bewildered.

Let us know if the spring on the caboose axle fixes things when you get round to testing it, please.

Webbo

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2016, 06:08:37 am »
I've just bought myself some of the new Micro-Trains true scale couplers to try out. The top picture is my Intermountain FP7A coupled to its B unit with the MTL 1015 couplers they come with and the second is the same pair coupled with the new MT scale couplers. With standard MTL couplers the gap between the two units is pretty big - bigger than I like, With scale couplers the gap reduces to almost half which I like better. The downside is that with the scale couplers, I'll need to run the two units as a pair because the scale couplers won't couple with the standard MTL couplers.

F7s coupled with their standard MTL 1015 coupler

F7s coupled with MTL true scale couplers

Webbo

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: November 29, 2016, 07:04:23 pm »
Hey, Webbo, that second shot does indeed look a lot better.
Any idea what minimum radius it will go around now?

Donald

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #378 on: November 29, 2016, 07:26:02 pm »
Hi Donald

Don't know. I would expect that with there being some sideways slack in the couplers and the closeness of the rear truck on the A unit and the front truck on the B unit that there would not be a problem with 10" radius.

Webbo

Offline 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 25, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »
Still suffering from the shock of finding one of these on sale at the Felixstowe N Gauge Group open day today.......

I've literally been looking out for one for a good 25 years and have only come across one other in that time - in a rather "odd" model shop in Manhattan in 1998 - and that wasn't for sale!

It's a fairly early model for Bachmann, produced circa 1967-1980, and was available in Penn Central & Amtrak colours, the Amtrak ones being the rarer version, apparently.

Needs some pantograph repairs on the powered car and chassis overhaul, but I have more than enough Bachmann Amfleets to make up a full train.

Got it for a rather good price that included 3 Alton "heavyweight" coaches and an Amtrak smooth sided baggage car, so rather pleased that I made the effort to go there! (not to mention managing to get an unpowered DelPrado Milwaukee Bi-Polar electric as well.....)

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 25, 2017, 04:02:27 pm »
Still suffering from the shock of finding one of these on sale at the Felixstowe N Gauge Group open day today.......

I've literally been looking out for one for a good 25 years and have only come across one other in that time - in a rather "odd" model shop in Manhattan in 1998 - and that wasn't for sale!

It's a fairly early model for Bachmann, produced circa 1967-1980, and was available in Penn Central & Amtrak colours, the Amtrak ones being the rarer version, apparently.

Needs some pantograph repairs on the powered car and chassis overhaul, but I have more than enough Bachmann Amfleets to make up a full train.

Got it for a rather good price that included 3 Alton "heavyweight" coaches and an Amtrak smooth sided baggage car, so rather pleased that I made the effort to go there! (not to mention managing to get an unpowered DelPrado Milwaukee Bi-Polar electric as well.....)

Sounds like youd've paid any price after 25 years searching @70000 . I can imagine your joy at not only finding one, but finding it at a bargain price. :bounce:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2017, 04:12:05 pm »

Sounds like youd've paid any price after 25 years searching @70000 . I can imagine your joy at not only finding one, but finding it at a bargain price. :bounce:

Having visited several model train shows in the US in that time - Galesburg/Timonium/Allentown/Easton, not to mention various smaller events & model shops - it makes it more remarkable that I can find one within a 10 mile radius of my house!

The Metroliner is quite an interesting model, and the power car is by far the heaviest item of N rolling stock that I own - certainly no traction tyres required  there..

Just need to find a similarly cheap Acela now................

Offline philwhite

• Awards
« Reply #382 on: March 26, 2017, 03:14:50 pm »

That's some wait! Looks like a nice model, how does it run?

I've been modeling US N Scale for nearly 20 years and I can't say that I've ever seen one in the flesh.

Any plans to power the Bi-Polar?

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 26, 2017, 03:27:54 pm »

That's some wait! Looks like a nice model, how does it run?

I've been modeling US N Scale for nearly 20 years and I can't say that I've ever seen one in the flesh.

Any plans to power the Bi-Polar?

After cleaning the wheels I discovered it runs surprisingly well, if a little bit noisy, but all the drive gears are metal (as is the whole of the, rather solid, chassis), so that is to be expected - only the coach bodyshell is plastic. I still have a Bachmann GP40(?) of similar vintage - my first US outline N loco bought around 1978 - which is the same.

I thought I would end up having to scratchbuild a Metroliner (having some Amfleet cars put aside for that purpose) but I don't have to worry about that now!

The Bi-Polar looks a bit overscale, height wise, so I'm not sure about motorising it. The number of axles would present an interesting problem in finding a suitable chassis as well, so at this stage its just gone on display with the various other DelPrado ones I picked up cheaply at swapmeets.

Offline philwhite

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »

Just like buses you wait for one and then two come along at once :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-N-scale-Metroliners-Penn-Central-/172607216365?hash=item2830311aed:g:zjUAAOSwDmBY4Tu6

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-N-scale-Metroliners-Penn-Central-/172607216365?hash=item2830311aed:g:zjUAAOSwDmBY4Tu6

Interesting - shame that neither of them are powered though.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: April 17, 2017, 06:54:18 am »

I didn't bother with them the first time round, as they were unpowered, but,  nobody else appeared to want them either.
Did a e-bay search again yesterday and found they were on there at a considerably lower price, so decided to put in a bid at the starting price and ended up getting them (nobody else interested again...)

Thanks for the tip-off, so I at least have a 4 car rake now!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:23:26 am by 70000 »

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #387 on: April 22, 2017, 01:48:18 pm »
The unpowered Penn Central pair of Metroliner cars purchased off e-bay.....

They appear to be a very early version, with fixed pantographs, the age backed up by the (limited) listing of Bachmann N products on the back of the plastic boxes!
They obviously never changed the unit numbers when they changed the livery to the Amtrak version though (both numbered unit 803....)

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2017, 07:26:51 am »
I've just received a flyer for the November release of carbon black hoppers by ScaleTrains. These will be part of their rivet counter line of products. The following is a photo of the N scale cars and if you look closely you can see incredible detail such as the grab irons which are very fine.

ScaleTrains are the guys that have recently brought out the UP gas turbine also in the rivet counter line. These hoppers will not be cheap with a suggested retail price of $39 US (approximately 30 pounds). Even so, I'm tempted.

Webbo

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2017, 08:13:18 pm »
Just for the hell of it, pre arrival announcements for the North Sea Coastal Railroad:

Bachmann 44 tonne switcher, yellow, no Road markings. Via Walthers and McClaren Models. Falkirk.
Intermountain F7 A+B units in Santa Fe blue war bonnet, via Mike Fifer. U S of A
44 tonne switcher New Haven bodyshell, Santa Fe GP40 bodyshell, Western Maryland GP40 bodyshell,via Bachmann Parts Store, U S of A
More as and when these arrive!

Cheers for now

Donald
Well, that was spoken no little time ago! I got the Bachman parts at what felt like next-day delivery speed.
No sign of the Intermountain units yet though - website has just jumped from June to December delivery...
The PJNC publicity officers have been given a good talking to - I had a little tale all about Fathets day ready for the June arrivals. Now if will be birthday and Christmas and beyond!  No wonder people forget that they've ordered stuff.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here