!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N  (Read 94212 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Show your Latest Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase - Continental N
« Reply #810 on: August 12, 2017, 06:31:24 am »
For me there is little wrong with the Minitrix 144. An old fashioned model portraying and old fashioned loco still works IMHO, why pay the high price of todays' new models when the Minitrix 144s are quite easy to come by.

Enjoyed chasing, photting and riding behind the real thing back in the early 1980s in Bavaria here is a shot of mine circe 1984 at Nürnberg - albeit this is a 145:

Come to think of it I've actually been hauled by one in 2003, I suspect E44-044, I should have some photos somewhere.

Hmm, maybe not, unless they're on an old hard disk.

However it was definitely E44-044, this is the train:
http://hobby-eisenbahnfotografie.de/php/ba.php?id=308&was=bv
http://hobby-eisenbahnfotografie.de/php/ba.php?id=303&was=bv

I've a funny feeling the chap on the right-hand platform in the second picture might even be myself  :goggleeyes:

Probably not, at least if it was I wasn't taking any photos (edit: definitely wasn't, found a picture of myself that day wearing different clothes).

Found a couple though, not the best quality but this was 2003 and my camera wasn't the best.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 06:45:48 am by railsquid »
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #811 on: August 17, 2017, 05:56:58 pm »
Not a rolling stock purchase, but I couldn't think of anywhere else more appropriate to mention that, ahem, Steinheim am Main features the September issue of Continental Modeller. The graphics team have done a good job with the photos (with special thanks to @Yet_Another ).
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Yet_Another

• N Gauge Society Number: 25847
    • Awards
« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:41 am »
I rushed out yesterday and bought a copy. They have done rather a good job with the photos, haven't they? There's a definite thrill on seeing one's name in print. I guess I'd better read the article, rather than just looking at the photos... ;D
Tony

'Things are not done by those who count the cost of every thought or deed.'

Offline gentfam

• Awards
« Reply #813 on: August 21, 2017, 04:47:13 pm »
It always seemed a pity that the old GDR Piko did not quite get to its best. Those Russian coaches wandered far and wide across the whole of Europe.

Thanks for all this info. I actually travelled on these coaches in 1974 from Oostende to Minsk and back from Moscow as a student studying Russian at the time. They were actually quite comfortable to ride in; compartments with 3 bunks and a blank wall on the other side. A huge amount of luggage space above the side corridor. The only problem was feeding yourself for 2.5 days; there was a restaurant car for parts of the journey, but their prices were out of my range in those days! Biggest treat for us train fans was the short stretch from Berlin Ost to Frankfurt an der Oder, when the train was steam hauled! I have some of these Piko carriages too, but DR (East German) stock. I tried to obtain useable bogies for them, but wasn't very successful. I had taken the bogies off one of them, so it now functions as a meeting room of the local model railway club. The others tend to languish in the carriage sidings...

Sorry, I don't really understand how to separate the quote from my comments.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:50:48 pm by gentfam »

Offline RicardoFig

• Awards
« Reply #814 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:53 pm »
The latest entry in rolling stock has already a month inside a box, but today was the day:

Zug 106 & 9001 by Ricardo Figueiredo, on Flickr

InterCityNight Talgo trainset, via eBay, DM Toys auction.  :beers:

Together with the Talgo came a few catenary items from DAPOL for testing: Very good price (1€ / unit vs 5€ / unit by Viessmann), but i dont like the dimensions, as they look very small and short.  :hmmm: :hmmm:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:18:42 pm by RicardoFig »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #815 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:52 am »
Together with the Talgo came a few catenary items from DAPOL for testing: Very good price (1€ / unit vs 5€ / unit by Viessmann), but i dont like the dimensions, as they look very small and short.

Lovely Talgo set. A friend has one but we don't run it very often.

I don't think the Dapol catenary masts look very german, and you're correct they do look too short so you'd need to raise them up at least 5mm+ ?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #816 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:17 am »
Agree the Talgo looks lovely although I sort of wish you hadn't showed it as having been given a blue/white Spanish Talgo locomotive for my birthday I now want the blue/white RENFE Talgo Pendular version (no funds  :()

Darker blue I think but similar. Have got the old era III RENFE version in red/silver so will have to make do 'til next year. Anyway, looks great.

Haven't started any fake catenary yet but think I'll have to go the Dapol route, purely for finance, even if temporary. I've got Kato track so some sort of plinths would have to be made to raise them anyway. Will have to look at more pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline RicardoFig

• Awards
« Reply #817 on: September 11, 2017, 01:52:00 pm »

I don't think the Dapol catenary masts look very german, and you're correct they do look too short so you'd need to raise them up at least 5mm+ ?

I fully agree, i like the looks (they are very close for the Portuguese) but they feel out of place.

I was ok with the non-german looks as a compromise for the low purchase price, if the dimensions were ok. That is not the case as the first one is already raised by 2/3 mm. I will see if i can raise a few more mm with some sort of concrete base..  :doh:

Agree the Talgo looks lovely although I sort of wish you hadn't showed it as having been given a blue/white Spanish Talgo locomotive for my birthday I now want the blue/white RENFE Talgo Pendular version (no funds  :()

The Talgo was on my "desire list" and back in January i saw it "with my hands" on a local shop in Hamburg, but... 199€, way too much for me.  :thumbsdown:

DM-Toys put them on sale last month for 129€, still a little over... but the eBay units did went for even less, so i could not miss it.

I guess the spanish from Electrotren (?) is way more difficult to get and rare.  :hmmm:

Haven't started any fake catenary yet but think I'll have to go the Dapol route, purely for finance, even if temporary.

That was the reason to order the Dapol masts, unfortunately there is diference between UK and continental loading gauges.

I will try to raise and keep them, as the fake catenary is easy to replace later on. If i need 30 masts, it will be 30€ with Dapol or 150€ for Viessmann.  :hmmm: My layout is a blank space right now, so i prefer to invest on other areas.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:55:18 pm by RicardoFig »

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #818 on: September 11, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »
a souvenir from TINGS ( & DM_Toys)

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #819 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »
I guess the Spanish [Talgo] from Electrotren (?) is way more difficult to get and rare.  :hmmm:

The Electrotren Talgo models seem to be not too hard to find on ebay.

I have an old Ibertren set, for which I still need to find a matching loco in good condition (the loco in the picture is the DelPrado static model)

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #820 on: September 11, 2017, 06:17:29 pm »
have you considered fitting a bo-bo chassis to the Del Prado model? a japanese Tomytec mini chassis might do, or a Shorty chassis.

i squeezed a GF GWR railcar chassis into the Picasso model!

give us some dimensions and an expert will be along RSN!

Tomytec dimensions here:

http://trainweb.org/tomix/chassis_dim.htm
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:18:43 pm by Railwaygun »

Caveat lector

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #821 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:53 pm »
have you considered fitting a bo-bo chassis to the Del Prado model? a japanese Tomytec mini chassis might do, or
Yeah, I've wondered about that and looked through Tomytec, GreenMax, Kato and others. Unfortunately Jap bogie chassis tend to have quite short wheelbase bogies, nothing really suits.

I'd quite like to get a genuine Ibertren 2N loco, they do surface from time to time on ebay. I know they're a bit basic but they appeal to the collector in me. I might even consider the 3-rail version as I have a 3N set and a couple of other locos.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:43:46 pm by Railwaygun »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #822 on: September 11, 2017, 07:07:46 pm »
Hi guys,

RicardoFig, Interesting about the masts looking close to Portuguese ones because that'll do me. Will research further.

ntpntpntp, I also am looking for an Ibertren 352 for my Arnold era III Talgo set (the blue/white one being a 353) so if I see one I will let you know. If funds come in and one comes up I might just fancy it but no point in us bidding against each other so you go first. We can PM. Good luck.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Railwaygun

• Awards
« Reply #823 on: September 11, 2017, 10:44:01 pm »
have you considered fitting a bo-bo chassis to the Del Prado model? a japanese Tomytec mini chassis might do, or
Yeah, I've wondered about that and looked through Tomytec, GreenMax, Kato and others. Unfortunately Jap bogie chassis tend to have quite short wheelbase bogies, nothing really suits.

I'd quite like to get a genuine Ibertren 2N loco, they do surface from time to time on ebay. I know they're a bit basic but they appeal to the collector in me. I might even consider the 3-rail version as I have a 3N set and a couple of other locos.

You can cut'n  shut the chassis and lengthen the drive shafts to fit - my other PIcasso was done like that. They need extra weights though.

Caveat lector

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #824 on: September 12, 2017, 02:23:01 am »
The latest entry in rolling stock has already a month inside a box, but today was the day:

Zug 106 & 9001 by Ricardo Figueiredo, on Flickr

InterCityNight Talgo trainset, via eBay, DM Toys auction.  :beers:
Nice, I used to live right next to Warschauer Strasse station in Berlin, where there was (is) a servicing facility, every afternoon a Ludmilla would turn up to take one out for its trip. Wish I'd had a digital camera back then...
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything