!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Durley Valley - Bit of Fun restoration project  (Read 943 times)

Offline MARK1985

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26304
  • Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Durley Valley - Bit of Fun restoration project
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
Well after the baseboard and backscene were all in place I thought about the shape of the scenery that will go on the layout . I'd used the florist foam before and found it really good for making different shapes etc and thought be perfect for doing hills etc so layout doesn't look flat

I just simple used a mini saw and a sanding block to make shapes with the foam , did get everywhere a bit but nothing a good hoover couldn't fix  . most of the foam is now glued in place . thinking of putting a mini backscene on left of the layout to tie in with the valley on the left hand side .
will be covering the foam with filler to make a good base to start with and that's what I'm aiming to achieve this evening

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:54 pm »
Hi Mark,

All looking good.

Two questions though. I have come across the florist foam (chucking it away through work, I'm a gardener) and thought it could be useful on a layout but then thought it was too crushable. I know you say you're going to cover it with filler but just wondering if it would be a bit unsturdy? (Probably because I'm a clumsy git!)

Also, if it is useful as you obviously think, is it expensive? I don't go into florists as people talk and if my wife doesn't get any flowers then questions will be asked. Nosey whatevers  :D.

Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »
Hi Weave , hope you are well

it is crushable with a bit of weight on it , but that's me fully pushing down on it , but its not a lot as its pretty compact . think its where its the dry stuff rather then the green wet one I think you can get. As you know its really light though so will help with the overall weight of the layout for transport and lifting

I picked these up from the range a while back for another project , I think they were around £1 per brick so not too bad for the price . I expect could be picked up for cheaper

will update with results after the filler has gone on and see how sturdy it all is , but fingers crossed I think should be ok

Mark

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 05:45:55 pm »
Hi Mark,

Thanks. I was thinking of the green stuff and wrongly thought that they were the same. They are expensive and crush like a Wotsit. I had to move one once  :worried:. Don't tell Mrs ? from ?  :no:

Seriously, I came clean and she was OK about it and seriously I'll look into what you're doing as seems a better idea to me than polystyrene packaging.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:42 am »
Hi All

Don't you find when you really get going on construction of a layout you find that you just don't want to stop !

managed to cover most of the foam with filler from poundland last night whilst up the club , should hopefully be dry by time I go back tomorrow evening so can tidy it up and maybe give it a coat of paint . Will also feedback how its reacted with the foam and hopefully helped it to become bit more tougher.

I also had bit more time in end to give the backscene a coat of blue , will need second coat

here is couple photos from last night

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:34 am »
Itís looking good.
This is my favourite part of modelling. Doung the scenics and seeing it going from a mess to a believable scene of everyday life.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline MARK1985

• Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »
well we unintentionally tested the strength of the foam last night , after giving the filler a sand I had given it a coat of paint . whilst doing the painting it softened the filler a little and whilst doing something else in the club the layout got knocked over . Was my own fault as I left it stood on its end as was looking at something underneath . Anyway where I'd left it when it fell over it fell against the edge of a table so did dent one place in the filler , not very deep but still a decent dent that I managed to repaint ok . I'm happy its robust enough though as , it was still wet from the paint and it had taken the full weight of the layout falling onto a cornered edge but lesson learned.  I also gave the back scene sky  second coat of blue

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here