!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Overhaul all my Loco's  (Read 7801 times)

Offline Graham65

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Overhaul all my Loco's
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:05 pm »
Hi everyone.

I have a confession to make.

My Loco's have never been serviced and I need to start doing it. I have a:

Class 47 which I bought of ebay and runs really slowly
DMU where the motor whirls but no movement in the wheels
1 Standard Class 4MT which had two black bands come off it, and now stuggles with traction.

Could I ask what is the essential equipment I require to overhaul my engines and keep them in tip top condition. Also should I consider buying a rolling road to run in any new engines I purchase? oh and finally, where do I get bands from?

regards

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Overhaul all my Loco's
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:45:03 am »
Class 47 which I bought of ebay and runs really slowly
DMU where the motor whirls but no movement in the wheels
1 Standard Class 4MT which had two black bands come off it, and now stuggles with traction.

First loco will desperately need an overhaul.

Second will have split or worn gears.

Third has shed it's traction tyres, but should be simple to refit or replace them.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:45:11 am »
I was very wary about servicing locos at first but eventually had to change brushes on a black five so I took a big breath and had a go. I still have a lot to learn so I will watch this thread with interest.

I'm still by no means an expert but I have found the following things useful: a locomotive cradle either bought or homemade, some sort of magnification and good light (unless you are very young) so you can see what you are doing, a service sheet for the loco in question, which can usually be downloaded from the manufacturer's website, jeweler's screwdrivers, tweezers, isopropyl alcohol for cleaning, toothpicks, a small paintbrush, ear buds, an egg box or pill dispenser for putting screws in as you dismantle the loco, suitable lubricant used sparingly, a digital camera.

The camera is for taking photos of the loco before you start so you remember what bit goes where, very useful for steam loco valve gear.

Most problems seem to be caused by dirt and over oiling so sometimes careful cleaning is all that is needed. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt, dust and fluff some locos accumulate. Some wheels will have so much dirt on them it will look as though they have traction tyres! I use toothpicks for removing stubborn dirt from wheels.

Beware of those little copper coupling springs which have a nasty habit of pinging off and landing in the most awkward places.

The newer steam locos are quite intricate and have lots of detail parts so you will need to proceed carefully. The old Farish locos are much more robust and good for practicing on.

There is an article about servicing locos in the latest N Gauge Society journal.

Most essential, tool, N Gauge Forum, for encouragement and advice  :NGF:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:13:47 am »
Yeah, thanks for starting this Graham65! I too, have a number of dead locos, so I will be following along also. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RussellH

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
Hi Graham

Essential for servicing - Well lit work area, set of jewellers screwdrivers - plain and Phillips/pozi tips (cheap ones are fine), fully evaporating solvent or similar for degreasing, cocktail sticks and very fine wet and dry paper, small art brushes with stiff bristles which you may want to trim. Oil (Vauxhall synthetic works for me).

Optional - reading specs from the pound shop, fine tipped black permanent marker (might as well back the pickups while your at it), multimeter with a ohms range.

Rolling road is not essential or even required - a length of flexi track and a controller is fine and get a cheap ammeter to put in line.

The confidence to have a go, the sense to stop when unsure and ask the question is all you need - good luck! Lots of the questions have been asked before so have a search first.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
http://www.bridgeburygate.co.uk/

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:01:41 am »
........and plenty of spare brush springs  :doh:, I have a hand carpet sweeper which I use quite regularly when I drop things, it pick springs up very well  :dunce:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:26:22 am »
I too, have a number of dead locos

As well as watching this general thread, it's worth posting specifics so more targeted advice can be given for specific problems.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:38 am »
Agree. Knowledge bank or Wiki. :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:46 am »
the sense to stop when unsure and ask the question is all you need

Regards
Russ

I think this is a very important statement and probably if ignored will lead to a dead loco  :beers:

cheers John.

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:56 am »
Very good topic this. I have recently been serving some of my Trix and Fleischmann locos. Out of my current fleet, a couple seem to run a little rough, lagging on the curves and jerky at slow speed.

So, with all my tools to hand on my work bench I began strip one down (Trix DB class 232 being the first) I first noticed that the gear stack was heavily clogged up with green grease (from previous owner!) Carbon dust build up under the motor and further stripping down shown that the commutator was very black (should be a pale coffee colour) Brushes were fine also springs. Once everything was stripped I began to clean and wipe all the old grease and oil from the gears and bogies (Old grease can cause lagging) commutator was giving a clean out using WD40 electrical contact spray and a wipe round with a fine cotton bud. Also pickup's were cleaned, gears re oiled (very very tiny amount of LGB 50019 oil) and put everything back together. Sorry, i make it sound a little to simple :confused1: 

I also have a Gaugemaster wheel cleaner with the foam pads. Very good piece of kit indeed as this does not damage your traction tyres or scratch wheels where the Minitrix one can as it has fine metal brushes like a wire brush. All this took around an hour. Loco was then took back up in the loft and given a steady running in and now runs like a Swiss clock. Very happy indeed. There is a good article in the recent NGS magazine about serving your locos.

When people ask about jerky / poor running locos I always reply, clean your wheels, track, check commutator & brushes also all pickups also try and remove old grease / oil. There is no point just applying more oil ontop of old oil as this eventually will make the problem worse. 9 times out of 10 once all this is done you will have a smooth running loco once again.

Cheers all, Anthony
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:11:14 am by 37058 »
1994-1998 West Mids WCML OMWB thread can be found here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=3989.0

My German modelling thread also layout construction can be found here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=7798.0 Member of The N Gauge Society, Germany Railway Society & European Railway Association

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 10:20:59 am »
Don't use WD40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not good for models....

...IPA is the best solvent cleaner.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:35:07 am »
Hi

Home servicing is very manageable and I agree can cure most problems.

Essential for me (when I can force myself to be bothered to do it properly) is my home made servicing cradle that is just half of a small cardboard box with some high density foam glued to it (inside sides and ends) with PVA leaving a loco width and slightly longer than longest loco + tender slot in the middle. I cut out a bit of foam at each side (finger width) so I could remove inserted locos easily without damaging them. This contraption holds the locos together with their still coupled tender securely and those pesky small parts fall into the box instead of getting lost.

For added 'ping' proofing for those small parts I put the cradle box inside a larger low sided plastic box and use a pair of ready sprung when shut tweezers as these prevent over pressing on small parts that leads to them 'pinging' off and out of sight never to be seen again.

I have also got an old linen tea towel that I find invaluable for manual wheel cleaning. For this I use my thumb nail covered by the cloth. The muck mostly washes off the cloth when hand washed in detergent.

To get in small spaces such as on motors I wrap the cloth round a small bladed screwdriver and gently scrub at the grease and dirt. The linen is linty free and there is no risk of fluff getting in hard to reach areas as with a cotton bud.

All this is carried out under a white LED ring lamp with a see through large magnifier in the middle. This is floor standing, not cheap but easily adjustable for [position and worth it.

I use a bought oil pen for oiling and I invested in a decent temperature controlled soldering station with heat gun, some very thin low melt point solder. This has prevented soldering at too hot a temperature .

Cheers

Mac

:beers:

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:29 am »
I have made this thread a sticky so it will appear at the top of the list for easy finding as I feel this is going to benefit many of our members  ;)

cheers John.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 11:45:00 am »
I for one would like to know more about using a multimeter as my knowledge of electricity is almost non existent.   ???

Anyone want to do an Idiot's guide to Model Loco Electrics?

I clean my locos very carefully and can do a basic service but if there's an electrical problem then I'm really stuck and hand the offending loco to an expert.

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:55:49 am »
I for one would like to know more about using a multimeter as my knowledge of electricity is almost non existent.   ???

There are a good few videos on You Tube showing you how to use a multimeter for different purposes.  Just do a search for multimeter  ;)

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything