Dapol Maunsell coaches

Started by Dorsetmike, September 12, 2013, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

No mention of the Maunsell's converted for Push-Pull in 1959, sets 600 - 609 formed from BCKs and open seconds. withdrawal of them started in 1963
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris in Prague

Many thanks. Now, all we need to know is the actual running numbers of the Dapol Maunsells and then we can cross-reference them to this list.

talisman56

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 30, 2014, 05:10:55 PM
No mention of the Maunsell's converted for Push-Pull in 1959, sets 600 - 609 formed from BCKs and open seconds. withdrawal of them started in 1963

They were all high-window 1935-stock BCKs and 1930 Second Opens... neither type of which is being produced by Dapol.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Pete33 on July 30, 2014, 04:23:08 PM
I was mainly thinking about the Ultima Ironclads. I have a set on my wish list, but adding all the carriage side detailing (lined SR paintwork, etc) might be easier with vinyls. I'm already planning to add door handles to Farish non-corridor stock, so doing that over the vinyls shouldn't be any more taxing.

Oh definitely.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 13, 2013, 03:55:36 PM
Fittings may be a challenge in part and bogies even more so depending upon the type used.

Roof is the easy bit, lots of ways to scratch build simple curved roofs, and if you don't want to do that then given a profile I can quote you for a length of roofing strip to fit. Providing its a simple straight profile (ie no rounded ends, clerestories and funnies like that) its usually pretty cheap to bang them out as polished 3D prints as I've got tools to do it and I've done other roofs for people building Worsley scratch aids.

Complete shells to stick the sides and ends on are also not too hairy for most simple coach shapes but somewhat pricier both in materials and work.

Alan

Hi Alan

As an aside from the main topic (sorry, chaps), if you're back in production now, can I request a couple of LSWR-profile roofs to fit Farish non-suburban coaches? This will go alongside an order for other coach parts. I'm planning to have a stab at upgrading a couple of these coaches to resemble LSWR 56-footers without actually cutting out the extra foot of length or repainting the side bodies. If they work out then I'll do the same to the rest of my non-corridor stock.

Peter

EtchedPixels

Once I'm back up and running properly then ping me about it - shouldn't be too hard.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Stevie DC

Oh, those look good. Shame I don't model the SR  :(

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

thebrighton

Quote from: Atso on January 28, 2015, 05:40:06 PM

All you need to do is tweak that GNR Atlantic to turn it into a LBSCR Atlantic....................
Gareth

Stevie DC

Quote from: thebrighton on January 28, 2015, 05:54:09 PMAll you need to do is tweak that GNR Atlantic to turn it into a LBSCR Atlantic....................
Gareth

Oh, don't you start again! I've got to make the standard GNR Atlantic actually work before I try being clever with any second rate copies!  :P  :P  :smiley-laughing:

Kind of back on topic, am I right in thinking that Farish is doing some SR bogie full brakes? Those, I might be able to justify...

Dorsetmike

Well I've ordered 2 3rd brakes and 2 compos from Rails, I've got some Worsley Works etches so will try and hack a 4 compartment brake from the brakes and use them with one of the compos hopefully to produce one of the 39x sets and see what might be done with the other compo and some other WW sides and/or vinyls.

As of mid afternoon today Rails still had not received any, so it had to be an advance order. £4 cheaper than Dapol's price

For SR bogie brakes I hack ex Finelines, now Slimrails 2 x 4 wheel van kits and plant them on a Dapol Siphon chassis or cut down an old Farish or Lima one.

[smg id=8180]

[smg id=8181]

The white bits on the body are additional vents it is necessary to remove the existing vents on the double doors. The white bit in the underframe is the battery box.

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/indexNgauge.html.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

CarriageShed

Quote from: Atso on January 28, 2015, 05:40:06 PM

Now's the time to start  ;)

Quote from: austinbob on January 28, 2015, 05:52:22 PM
They do look good - shame the piggy bank is empty!  :'(

I've placed an advance order with Hattons with a partial-budget. I'll worry about the rest of the budget in the next couple of months.

Dorsetmike

Rails of Sheffield now have the Maunsell's in stock at £19.95, just paid for my preordered ones, so hopefully soon on their way.

Hattons still showing preorder at £20
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

CarriageShed

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 29, 2015, 11:59:16 AM
Rails of Sheffield now have the Maunsell's in stock at £19.95, just paid for my preordered ones, so hopefully soon on their way.

Hattons still showing preorder at £20

For the sake of 5p per coach, I'll stick with my Hattons pre-order. I'm now starting to cast glances towards the front door whenever the postman arrives. It can't be too long now...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations