!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Battery powering a layout  (Read 1435 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Battery powering a layout
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »
I have been thinking about an outside job as well.
Even a regulator chip is going to waste power, there is voltage drop across it and thus even with a small current, watts are wasted. (a big car battery would compensate  :D !)

The only efficient way that I have come up with (thinking, not yet roundtuit ! ) is PWM (pulse width modulation) Somewhere on the forum recently we discussed pwm vs. coreless and came to the conclusion that high frequency pwm would be ok.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:00 pm »
The    only   efficient way
I've just thought of another  ! :-
A tapped battery pack.
I've just had a play with a 4-cell pack of Ni-MH and that provides a creep of my Farish 4F with five coaches,  3 cells not enough to start it moving.
Somewhere I have another pack, so if we have taps at 4, 5 and maybe 6 cells no power lost in the regulator/controller :)

Edit later  : Duchess with five coaches will creep on 2-cell , then nicely progress in speed as cells are brought in, on up to a brisk pace on 6-cell pack of Zinc Chloride.
This is all jolly interesting, must go to the shops tomorrow and get some more NiMH !

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:11:05 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
sounds like a job for 2 pole 12 way rotary switch,6 forward speeds ,5 reverse speeds and an off,take out the ball bearing in the rotary mechanism and it should  rotate more like a pot.Only problem is such switches are  a bit pricey .
no power lost in the regulator/controller
I2R The switch contacts have a resistance,theres a current flow so theres going to be some losses,bloody minute,but still a loss

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 06:37:42 pm »
some losses,bloody minute,but still a loss
:laughabovepost: I think we can agree !

I've just ordered a 2p6 and a 1p12 for experimental porpoises.

The only little? prob I can see for single-cell tapping is that most chargers do it in pairs, so a bit of swapping round from time to time would be a good idea perhaps.

Some currents will need to be measured after our evening meal :)  >>>>

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 07:57:03 pm »

Some currents will need to be measured after our evening meal :)  >>>>

Is that Spotted Dick and custard for dessert?   (Sorry).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 02:30:06 am »
Approx 3&1/2 hours on and my Farish Duchess is still hauling five coaches at a sedate pace (5coach/9sec ~=40mph ?) on a 4-pack of Ni-MH AA cells and they were just grabbed, not new, not fully charged.
Voltage started at 5.4 now 4.9
SpottedDick = ~15mA  +/- 5mA
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:09:13 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 01:55:58 am »
Update:
Pleased to be able to report : in excess of 6hr*, sedate>then crawl, running of a Farish Duchess +5coach on 4cells rechargeable NiMH

*given the British climate that should satisfy most summers in the garden  ! ?

Next project : learn about discharge/re-charge cycles of this newfangled NiMH tech ;) !
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:07:43 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:15 am »

As an alternative, although not cheap, the 2mm SA sell the MedVend 9v PP3  battery/or DC supply handheld contollers, ( I think these are PWM but not sure) @ £30. Meant and sold primarily for Z gauge I believe but work fine with N from what I have seen of them.

Izzy

Online PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »

As an alternative, although not cheap, the 2mm SA sell the MedVend 9v PP3  battery/or DC supply handheld contollers, ( I think these are PWM but not sure) @ £30. Meant and sold primarily for Z gauge I believe but work fine with N from what I have seen of them.

Interesting....have never heard of these, but found this:

http://zscaletrack.com/medvend/AN-1-C

And this...http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/info/?prodnum=1-500 but the link to the manufacturer's website doesn't work.

Seems cheap enough to me......anyone got any experience with one of these?

Cheers Jon  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:16:17 pm by PostModN66, Reason: Addition »
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 05:26:04 pm »
Only problem is such switches are  a bit pricey .
The classical wafer switches are very pricey !
But I have found some others that may do the job, ( search ebay "1p 12t switch" or "Rotary 1 Pole 12 Way" ) variously approx £2 to £6

The only problem with them is that the detent is fiercely strong :( (feels like driving a tramcar !! )   they are plastic clipped together, the good news is that they can be 'tyre-levered' apart and the spring and two balls fall out ,,,, it remains to be seen if it can be re-assembled !
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:08:53 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 05:51:19 pm »
But I have found some others that may do the job, ( search ebay "1p 12t switch" or "Rotary 1 Pole 12 Way"
Bog standard combinations (2-6,6-2,4-3.3-4 1-12)are nice an cheap, less than 2 quid from cpc,  as they all fit on 1 wafer and mass produced, its when you want something a bit funky like a 12 way 2 pole as your then into the build it yourself territory, a quick look at rs for such a combination is around £24

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here